经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第56期
日期:2016-01-28 16:06

(单词翻译:单击)

My first quarter at Lowood seemed an age, and not the golden age either.
在罗沃德度过的一个季度,仿佛是一个时代,而且并不是黄金时代。
It comprised an irksome struggle with difficulties in habituating myself to new rules and unwonted tasks.
我得经历一场恼人的搏斗,来克服困难,适应新的规矩和不熟悉的工作。
The fear of failure in these points harassed me worse than the physical hardships of my lot, though these were no trifles.
我担心这方面出错。为此所受的折磨,甚过于我命里注定肉体上要承受的艰苦,虽说艰苦也并不是小事。
During January, February, and part of March, the deep snows, and, after their melting, the almost impassable roads, prevented our stirring beyond the garden walls, except to go to church.
在一月、二月和三月的部分日子里,由于厚厚的积雪,以及化雪后道路几乎不通,我们的活动除了去教堂,便被困在花园的围墙之内了。
But within these limits we had to pass an hour every day in the open air.
但就在这个牢笼内,每天仍得在户外度过一小时。
Our clothing was insufficient to protect us from the severe cold.
我们的衣服不足以御寒。
We had no boots, the snow got into our shoes and melted there.
大家没有靴子,雪灌进了鞋子,并在里面融化。
Our ungloved hands became numbed and covered with chilblains, as were our feet.
我们没有手套,手都冻僵了,像脚上一样,长满了冻疮。

经典名著 简爱

I remember well the distracting irritation I endured from this cause every evening, when my feet inflamed.
每晚我的双脚红肿,一时痛痒难熬,至今记忆犹新。
And the torture of thrusting the swelled, raw, and stiff toes into my shoes in the morning.
早上又得把肿胀、疼痛和僵硬的脚趾伸进鞋子。
Then the scanty supply of food was distressing.
食品供应不足也令人沮丧。
With the keen appetites of growing children, we had scarcely sufficient to keep alive a delicate invalid.
这些孩子都正是长身体的年纪,胃口很好,而吃的东西却难以养活一个虚弱的病人。
From this deficiency of nourishment resulted an abuse, which pressed hardly on the younger pupils.
营养缺乏带来了不良习气,这可苦了年纪较小的学生。
Whenever the famished great girls had an opportunity, they would coax or menace the little ones out of their portion.
饥肠辘辘的大龄女生一有机会,便连哄带吓,从幼小学生的份里弄到点吃的。
Many a time I have shared between two claimants the precious morsel of brown bread distributed at tea-time.
有很多回,我在吃茶点时把那一口宝贵的黑面包分给两位讨食者。
And after relinquishing to a third half the contents of my mug of coffee,
而把半杯咖啡给了第三位后,
I have swallowed the remainder with an accompaniment of secret tears, forced from me by the exigency of hunger.
自己便狼吞虎唱地把剩下的吃掉,一面因为饿得发慌而暗暗落泪。
Sundays were dreary days in that wintry season.
冬季的星期日沉闷乏味。
We had to walk two miles to Brocklebridge Church, where our patron officiated.
我们得走上两里路,到保护人所主持的布罗克布里奇教堂去。
We set out cold, we arrived at church colder.
出发的时候很冷,到达的时刻就更冷了。
During the morning service we became almost paralysed.
早祷时我们几乎都已冻僵。
It was too far to return to dinner, and an allowance of cold meat and bread,
这儿离校太远,不能回去用饭,两次祷告之间便吃一份冷肉和面包,
in the same penurious proportion observed in our ordinary meals, was served round between the services.
份量也跟平时的饭食一样,少得可怜。

分享到
重点单词
  • irksomeadj. 厌恶的,讨厌的,令人厌烦的
  • coaxv. 哄,诱骗,灵巧慢慢地做
  • accompanimentn. 伴唱(奏),伴随物,补充物,伴随情况
  • penuriousadj. 吝啬的,缺乏的,贫困的
  • scantyadj. 缺乏的,不够的
  • proportionn. 比例,均衡,部份,(复)体积,规模 vt. 使成比
  • abusen. 滥用,恶习 vt. 滥用,辱骂,虐待
  • sufficientadj. 足够的,充分的
  • delicaten. 精美的东西 adj. 精美的,微妙的,美味的,纤细
  • insufficientadj. 不足的