经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第11期
日期:2015-09-14 15:12

(单词翻译:单击)

A singular notion dawned upon me.
我忽然闪过一个古怪的念头。
I doubted not- never doubted-that if Mr. Reed had been alive he would have treated me kindly.
我不怀疑—一也从来没有怀疑过 — 里德先生要是在世,一定会待我很好。
And now, as I sat looking at the white bed and overshadowed walls-occasionally also turning a fascinated eye towards the dimly gleaming mirror,
此刻,我坐着,一面打量着白白的床和影影绰绰的墙,不时还用经不住诱惑的目光,瞟一眼泛着微光的镜子,
I began to recall what I had heard of dead men, troubled in their graves by the violation of their last wishes,
不由得忆起了关于死人的种种传闻。据说由于人们违背了他们临终的嘱托,他们在坟墓里非常不安,
revisiting the earth to punish the perjured and avenge the oppressed.
于是便重访人间,严惩发假誓的人,并为受压者报仇。

经典文学《简·爱》

And I thought Mr. Reed's spirit, harassed by the wrongs of his sister's child,
我思忖,里德先生的幽灵为外甥女的冤屈所动,
might quit its abode- whether in the church vault or in the unknown world of the departed, and rise before me in this chamber.
会走出居所,不管那是教堂的墓穴,还是死者无人知晓的世界,来到这间房子,站在我面前。
I wiped my tears and hushed my sobs, fearful lest any sign of violent grief might waken a preternatural voice to comfort me,
我抹去眼泪,忍住哭泣,担心嚎啕大哭会惊动什么不可知的声音来抚慰我,
or elicit from the gloom some haloed face, bending over me with strange pity.
或者在昏暗中召来某些带光环的面孔,露出奇异怜悯的神色,俯身对着我。
This idea, consolatory in theory, I felt would be terrible if realised.
这念头听起来很令人欣慰,不过要是真的做起来,想必会非常可怕。
With all my might I endeavoured to stifle it-I endeavoured to be firm.
我使劲不去想它,抬起头来,大着胆子环顾了一下暗洞洞的房间。
Shaking my hair from my eyes, I lifted my head and tried to look boldly round the dark room.
抬起头来,大着胆子环顾了一下暗洞洞的房间。
At this moment a light gleamed on the wall.
就在这时,墙上闪过一道亮光。
Was it, I asked myself, a ray from the moon penetrating some aperture in the blind?
我问自己,会不会是一缕月光,透过百叶窗的缝隙照了进来?
No, moonlight was still, and this stirred.
不,月光是静止的,而这透光却是流动的。
While I gazed, it glided up to the ceiling and quivered over my head.
停晴一看,这光线滑到了天花板上,在我头顶上抖动起来。
I can now conjecture readily that this streak of light was, in all likelihood, a gleam from a lantern carried by some one across the lawn.
现在我会很自然地联想到,那很可能是有人提着灯笼穿过草地时射进来的光。
But then, prepared as my mind was for horror, shaken as my nerves were by agitation,
但那会儿,我脑子里尽往恐怖处去想,我的神经也由于激动而非常紧张,
I thought the swift darting beam was a herald of some coming vision from another world.
我认为那道飞快掠过的光,是某个幽灵从另一个世界到来的先兆。
My heart beat thick, my head grew hot.
我的心怦怦乱跳,头脑又热又胀
A sound filled my ears, which I deemed the rushing of wings.
耳朵里呼呼作响,以为那是翅膀拍击声
Something seemed near me.
好像什么东西已经逼近我了。
I was oppressed, suffocated, endurance broke down;
我感到压抑,感到窒息,我的忍耐力崩溃了。
I rushed to the door and shook the lock in desperate effort.
禁不住发疯似地大叫了一声,冲向大门,拼命摇着门锁。
Steps came running along the outer passage; the key turned, Bessie and Abbot entered.
外面们廊上响起了飞跑而来的脚步声,钥匙转动了,贝茜和艾博特走进房间。
'Miss Eyre, are you ill?' said Bessie.
"爱小姐,你病了吗?"贝茜说。
'What a dreadful noise! It went quite through me!' exclaimed Abbot.
“发出那么恐怖的喊叫声!好似要穿透我了!”艾博特惊叹到。

分享到