暴击敬畏shots of awe第4期:永久 Immortalist
日期:2014-02-25 14:13

(单词翻译:单击)


永生,死亡变成了一种强加于人类身上的进程,将不再被人们所接受——艾伦·哈林顿

Well, I think my opinion on grief can be summed up in the words of Alan Harrington from The Immortalist when he says, "any philosophy that accepts death must itself be considered dead — its questions meaningless, its constellations worn out."
我觉得自己对于悲伤的看法可以被艾伦·哈林顿说的话语所总结,他在The Immortalist(永生者)写道:“任何哲学一旦接受了死亡这一概念,则其也就必须被自身所认定为已终结了的。它所研究的问题已经无意义,也就被排除在格局之外。”

I agree with him.
我很赞同他所说的

I don't think there's any way to make peace with death, with mortality, with the human condition.
我不觉得有什么办法能够调和死亡与永生还有人类现状之间的关系。

The fact that we can ponder the infinite cosmos, yet we're ultimately food for worms.
事实上纵使我们能够深思无限的宇宙,但最终不过沦落为蠕虫的事物罢了。

I find heart wrenchingly, paralyzing, depressing, sad beyond all measurable limits.
想到这,我内心的幻灭,绝望,悲伤情感被无情地拉扯到一种无法衡量的地步

The idea that everything and everyone you love is going to be taken away from you is unacceptable to me.
万事万物包括你所爱的人都将会从你身边被带走的这一念头我是真的没有办法去接受。

I think it's just unacceptable being OK with those terms imposed on us by said universe.
我只是不能容忍那些加于我们身上的宇宙规律

If the cosmos is comfortable with entropy, that's one thing.
如果整个宇宙喜欢“消逝”,这是一马事。

It doesn't mean I have to be comfortable with entropy.
并不代表我必须喜欢“消逝”

In fact, I'm a member of the kingdom of life.
说实话,我作为生命国度中的一员

And life is anti-entropic.
生命就是反消逝的。

Life moves towards greater complexity and organization.
生命在朝着多样复杂性发展的同时又在有序地进行着。

As Kurzweil says, more knowledge, more science, more, more, more sprouting possibilities.
雷·库兹韦尔说,更多的只是更精湛的技术更高,更快,更强,萌发出更多的可能性。

And some people say that maybe death is an evolutionary design meant to get rid of the old in order to make room for the new.
又有人说死亡是进化演变的一种模式旨在于新老交替,为新世代腾出空间

That may have been a stepping stone, a necessary rehearsal, a way of spreading the diversity of information.
那只是其中一块基石,必要的一步棋而已是一种散步多元化信息的途径

Sex and death-- genes mixed together creates something new, kill off the old shells.
繁衍与死亡——基因重组创造出新的生命新陈代谢的蜕变

But what if we're able to create new rules?
但若果我们能创造出新的自然秩序呢?

What if we master biotechnology?
假若我们能够主宰整个生物技术呢?

We create software that writes its own hardware.
我们编写的软件能够自行制造与其相和谐运作的硬件

We start to change the rules of life.
我们开始改变生命秩序

We start creating that diversity.
开始创造多样性了

We start to be the sort of mind at work here.
我们渐渐变成这个世界的大脑

It would be intelligent design at last.
终将会成为智慧的结晶

But the point being, death would no longer be necessary.
我相信死亡将不再成为必要过程

And we could create a world without loss and without those encounters with grief.
我们将创造一个没有损失的世界一个没有痛苦遭遇的世界

And that may sound like a sort of manic fantasy of sorts.
这听起来像是热血的幻想

But I think that's what mankind has always done through his art, is articulate his desire to be external, to be infinite.
但人们总是通过艺术创造去表达他们心中的欲望,渴望着去延展,渴望着去突破

Even Miguel De Unamuno wrote, "nothing is real that is not eternal."
米格尔·德·乌纳穆诺写道:“非永恒则不真实。”

That's why we write poetry and we build cathedrals that try to create transcendence as a topographical statement.
这也就是为什么我们会去写诗会去建造大教堂一样的卓越事物就像那些世界奇观一样

That's why we eternalize beautific moments, and make gorgeous statues, and write amazing songs.
这也是为什么我们把瞬间的美丽化作永恒,制作魅力的雕塑,写优美的歌曲

We love to eternalize ourselves.
我们想要把自己永恒化

We want to say, as Alain de Botton said, we want to carve our names.
我们所想说的正如阿兰·德波顿所说的一样,我们渴望在历史的长河中刻上自己的名字

We want to say, I was here.
我们想要大声地告诉世人,我在这!

I exist.
我存在着!

I felt something and I matter.
我感悟一切,我很重要!

And we matter.

我们也真真切切都很重要!
And that's why death has become an imposition on the human race and no longer acceptable, in my words.
这也就是为什么死亡变成了对人类无理的请求,也不再被人们所接受,照我的话来说!

分享到
重点单词
  • measurableadj. 可测量的
  • ponderv. 沉思,考虑
  • eternaladj. 永久的,永恒的 n. 永恒的事
  • infiniteadj. 无限的,无穷的 n. 无限
  • acceptableadj. 合意的,受欢迎的,可接受的
  • fantasyn. 幻想 v. 幻想
  • mortalityn. 必死的命运,死亡数目,死亡率
  • ultimatelyadv. 最后,最终
  • diversityn. 差异,多样性,分集
  • unacceptableadj. 不能接受的,不受欢迎的