美文故事之找谁倚靠 第29期:给孙儿们的一封信
日期:2014-01-17 15:44

(单词翻译:单击)

中英文本

Letter to my grandchildren
给孙儿们的一封信
To my beautiful grandchildren:
我的好孙儿们:
Our world is changing so fast and there are many things I wish for you...
我们生活的世界变化非常快,我希望你们能做到下面这些事:
I'd really like for you to know about hand-me-down clothes and homemade ice cream and leftover meat loaf sandwiches.
我非常希望你们愿意穿哥哥姐姐们穿过的衣服,吃自己家做的冰激凌,咽下剩下的饭菜。
I really would.
我真心地希望你们这么做。


I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by being cheated.
我希望你们能从受辱中懂的谦卑,从被骗中学会诚实。
I hope you learn to make your own bed, mow the lawn and wash the car.
我希望你们学会自己铺床,割草坪,洗车。
And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.
我还非常希望你们十六岁的时候,没人会送给你们新车。
I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in.
我希望你们愿意为自己坚信的东西而被打得鼻青脸肿。
I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother or sister.
我希望你们愿意和弟弟或妹妹分享卧室。
And it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the room,but when they want to crawl under the covers with you because they're scared,I hope you let them.
如果你们坚持要在卧室中间画道分界线,那当然也是可以的,但是当他们因为害怕要钻到你们的被窝里时,我希望你们能同意。
When you want to see a movie and your little brother or sister wants to tag along, I hope you'll let them.
当你们打算看电影而弟弟或妹妹要跟着看的时候,我希望你们能让他们一起看。
I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you live in a town where you can do it safely.
当你们非得和朋友们一起爬山上学的时候,希望在你住的镇子安全时这么做。
On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't ask your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as uncool as your Mom.
下雨天必须搭便车的时候,希望你们不要因为不想被看到身旁坐着一个跟你们妈妈一样不赶时髦的人,就在离家还有两个街口的地方下车。
If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one.
你们想要弹弓的时候,希望你们的爸爸能教你们怎么自己动手做,而不是买一个。
I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.
希望你们学会挖土坑还有阅读。
When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head.
当你们学习使用电脑时,希望你们还能学会怎么用自己的脑子。
I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory soap tastes like.
我希望你们在初恋时,以及和妈妈顶嘴说你知道肥皂的味道时,受到朋友们的嘲笑。
May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a stove and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole.
希望你们爬山时擦破膝盖,希望你们被炉子烫到手,希望你们伸出舌头舔结冰的旗杆。
I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it.
我不在乎你们尝试着喝酒,但我希望你们不喜欢酒。
And if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend.
如果有个朋友给你们毒品或混有大麻的香烟时,希望你意识到他不是你们的朋友。
I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your grandparents and go fishing with your uncle.
我真心希望你们能抽点时间和祖父母在门廊里坐会儿,能和叔叔一起去钓鱼。
These are just some of the things that I wish for you—tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness.
这些仅仅是我希望你们做的一部分事情—或是困难重重,沮丧失望,或是辛勤工作,快乐得意。
To me, it's the only way to appreciate life.
对我来说,这是品味生活的唯一途径。
词语解释

1.hand-me-down 旧的衣服,成衣

Edward wore Andrew's hand-me-downs.
爱德华穿安德鲁穿过的旧衣服。

Most of the boys wore hand-me-down military shirts from their fathers.
多数男孩子穿着自己父亲穿过的旧军装衬衫。

2.make bed铺床

Could you make the bed?
你能整理床铺吗?

Tom has done everything you wanted except make the bed.
汤姆做了所有你让他做的事情,除了铺床。

3.mow the lawn刈草坪

We hired a boy to mow the lawn.
我们雇了个男孩来修剪草坪。

Thank you for helping me mow the lawn.
谢谢你帮我割草。

4.make time 抽空

We make time for it.
我们为它们腾出时间。

Make time to listen to the people around you.
抽空倾听你周围人的声音。

分享到
重点单词
  • humilityn. 谦逊,谦虚,谦卑
  • crushv. 压碎,碾碎,压榨 n. 压碎,压榨,拥挤,迷恋
  • honestyn. 诚实,正直
  • brandn. 商标,牌子,烙印,标记 vt. 打烙印,铭刻,加污
  • crawlvi. 爬行,卑躬屈膝,自由式游泳 n. 爬行,匍匐而行
  • appreciatevt. 欣赏,感激,赏识 vt. 领会,充分意识 vi.
  • lawnn. 草地,草坪 n. 上等细麻布
  • disappointmentn. 失望,令人失望的人或事
  • humiliatedv. 屈辱(humiliate的过去式);使…丢脸,使…
  • exceptvt. 除,除外 prep. & conj. 除了 ..