(单词翻译:单击)
What are you planning to do on your trip to Australia?
这次澳大利亚之行, 你计划做些什么?
There are so many things to see, I'm not sure where to start.
要参观的地方太多了,我也不知道从哪儿开始。
We're going to Sydney first.
我们首先会去悉尼.
If you're going to sydney, the first thing you should do is to visit the Opera House.
你们要是去悉尼的话,第一个要参观的应当是悉尼歌剧院,
The architecture is out of this world!
这是举世闻名的建筑。
Tell me some more about the Opera House, I"m a bit of an Australia novice!
给我多讲讲悉尼歌剧院吧,我对澳大利亚还真是不熟.
Well. it's situated in Sydney Harbour at Bennelong Point. It was opend in 1973 but it wasn't bulit by an Australian.
好的.歌剧院地处悉尼港的本纳隆角, 于1973开放, 但它的建筑师并不是澳大利亚本地人.
Really? I've always thought it was built by a local.
真实这样的吗? 我一直都以为它是当地人建的.
Joern Utzon is the Danish architect who entered and won the international competition announced in January 1956 to design it.
丹麦建筑师杰恩·伍重参加了1956年月宣布的澳大利亚悉尼歌剧院的国际设计竞赛, 并最终获胜承担设计工作.
Oh, I see. I wonder why I've never heard of him.
哦,是这样。我还纳闷怎么从没听说过他.
So, was there a competition to select a designer? What did he win?
这么说那时举办过一次设计师选拔赛,对吗?他的奖品是什么?
He's only know for that building.
他只是因为这个建筑而出名。
His prize for the wining design was 5,000 Australian pounds, this was before they had Australian dollars.
这次设计他获得5000澳大利亚镑的奖金,这事发生在澳元被使用之前。
After winning the competition fot the opera house design, he must have spent a long time planning the the Opera House, before he started biilding it.
赢得悉尼歌剧院设计大赛之后,他一定花了很长时间来做设计,然后才开始建设。
Actually, it tooks 15 years to build and the final cost was fourteen times the original estimate.
事实上,建这个剧院共花了15年的时间,而且最后的花费是最初预算的14倍.
Wow! Why did it take so long to build?
哇,怎么花了这么长的时间?
I think one of the reasons was because the roof was so top-heavy and nothing so daringly inclined had ever been built before.
我想其中一个原因就是在此之前从没有建过象歌剧院那样的建筑,顶部重的出奇,倾斜度也很大.
What happended to him later on?
他后来怎么样了?
In 2003, at the age of 85, Joern Utzon was recongnised by his peers and awarded the prestigious Prizker Prize, regarded as the Nobel Prize of architecture.
到了2003年,杰恩·伍重85随时得到了同行的认可,获得了著名的普利兹克奖.这个奖被认为是建筑界的诺贝尔奖.
But perhaps the most unusual thing about him was that he never actually saw the Opera House in person.
但对他来说,最奇怪的是他从未亲自参观过悉尼歌剧院。
What if I want to watch something there, a musical or an opera, or something. What would you recommend?
我要是想去歌剧院看点什么,比如音乐剧或歌剧什么的话,你有什么可推荐的吗?
Various theatre performances and other cultural events are held at the Sydney Opera House.
悉尼歌剧院上演各种戏剧并举办其他文化活动。
You should look at the Sydney Opera House website and check out what's on during your visit.
你最好到悉尼歌剧院的网站上看看,查查在你参观期间会上演些什么节目。
That's a great idea.
这个主意不错。