波士顿法律第一季(MP3+中英字幕):第12集 丹尼的零失败记录
日期:2017-02-07 15:04

(单词翻译:单击)

Previously on Boston legal
前情提要
I hit her on the head with a skillet.
我用煎锅打了她的头
It wasn't premeditated or planned.
我没有预谋或计划这么做
She was berating me. Suddenly, my arm was in motion.
她正在骂我,突然,我的胳膊就动了
Bam! I hit her, and she went down.
砰!我打到她,她就倒了
Oh!
噢!
Mom...
妈妈...
he hit me on the head with a skillet.
他打我的头,用煎锅
He called the police?
他叫了警察?
I'm afraid so. What do I do?
恐怕是这样,我该怎么办?
Mr. Ferrion?
Ferrion先生?
What?
什么事?
Your mother has passed away.
你母亲过世了
The victim identified the defendant as the killer.
受害者指认被告就是杀人犯
That would be hearsay. Is this all you've got?
传闻证据,这就是你全部的证据?
We'll get more.
我们会找到更多的
The charges against Mr. Ferrion are dismissed without prejudice.
针对Ferrion先生的指控被撤销
I see in you, Bernie, an innately kind person.
我看到你的内心深处,伯尼,你是一个生性善良的人
I'm hoping it's the kind and gentle person who goes on from here,
我希望你作为那个善良的人,从这里走出去
not the one who swung that skillet.
而不是那个挥舞着煎锅的人
How bad is he?
他情况有多糟?
He's intermittently brilliant and nonsensical, often at the same time.
间歇性表现出杰出和荒唐,有时同时发作
And he's technically still in charge of litigation?
并且技术上来说他仍然负责诉讼?
Which is the reason I called you back.
这就是我把你召回来的原因.
He is an enormous rainmaker, Shirley.
他是个巨大的麻烦制造体,雪莉
And yet...
还有...
Lock and load.
准备妥当
Where is everybody?
大家都在哪里?
This is an administrative meeting, Denny.
这是个管理层会议,丹尼
Oh. What the hell am I doing here?
哦,那我在这做甚?
Remember the good old days
还记得以前那些好日子吗?
when you liked to know what was going on,
你喜欢一切尽在掌握
when you could go from your office to the elevator without a road map?
可以不用地图就能从办公室走到电梯
Didn't need a road map...
不需要地图
to find my way around your body, did I, Shirley?
我也可以找到你的身体,对吧,雪莉
I wouldn't know.
我不知道
I was usually asleep.
我通常都睡着了
I once had her and Streisand
我曾经和她还有史翠珊
at the same time.
同一时间
Remember that?
还记得那个吗?
I do, Denny.
记得,丹尼
And not to burst your bubble, but that was a female impersonator.
不是泼你冷水,但那是个变装癖
Perhaps the penis might've been your cue.
也许他的阴茎能给你提个醒
That wasn't Barbra Streisand?
那不是芭芭拉·史翠珊?
You wanted to see me?
你想见我?
Yes, Sally, bad news.
是的,萨莉,坏消息.
We lost the summary judgment motion on Winchell. Have a seat.
我们对温切尔案的直接判决申请输了,坐
Ah, we lost?
我们输了?
The judge held that the magazine, while possibly negligent,
法官认为,虽然杂志社存在“疏忽大意”的可能性.
wasn't guilty of reckless disregard for the truth.
但对“罔顾事实”这项指控是无罪的
So we could prevail under negligence.
所以我们指控“疏忽大意”是可以赢的
We could, if only we'd thought to plead negligence.
可以,除非我们有这么做
Count one, intentional infliction of emotional distress.
第一点,故意导致精神伤害
Count two, reckless disregard for the truth.
第二点,罔顾事实真相
Here's where there should've been a third count alleging negligence.
这里应该有第三点指称“疏忽大意”
There is no third count alleging negligence.
但是没有
In, in the supporting memoranda,
在,在支持备忘录里
we have pages on negligence. But you didn't plead it.
我们有讲到“疏忽大意”但是你没有用它作辩护理由
So we just file a motion to amend.
所以我们只需要提交一个修正文件
That deadline lapsed.
最后期限过了
Uh, this is...
呃,这个...
this is obviously an oversight.
很显然是失误
The defendant had constructive notice.
被告应该知道,
We can appeal this. I'll get right on it.
我们可以据此上诉,我会搞定它
I, I've taken the liberty of reviewing some of your other work, Sally.
我看过你之前的工作记录,萨莉
You're a very good lawyer.
你是个非常好的律师
But not good enough. We're letting you go.
但是不够好,我们要辞退你
You're firing me?
你要炒掉我?
I'm sorry.
我很抱歉
I have done a lot of good work here.
我在这里做了很多出色的工作
Yes, you have.
是的
And any number of law firms would be happy to have you.
很多律师所会很乐意雇用你
This one, unfortunately, just doesn't happen to be one of them.
但不幸的是,不包括这家公司
Are you in on this?
你也参与了?
Am I, am, am I in on this?
我,我有参与吗?
It was my decision.
这是我的决定
Paul and Denny still remain strong supporters.
保罗和丹尼十分支持我
We're streamlining a little, and I have to make some tough calls.
公司要简化组织,我不得不做出一些艰难的决定
I'm sorry.
我很抱歉
How can you come in here,
你怎么能够刚到这里
and in one week, fire someone you don't even know?
才一个星期,就炒掉你根本不了解的人?
I'm Schmidt.
我是施密特
Nora, outstanding. Nora
漂亮
I give it a 3.
我打3分
Thank you.
谢谢
Mr. Crane.
克兰先生
A Mr. Walter Fife is in your office. He says it's quite important.
一位叫沃尔特·法伊夫先生在你办公室里,他说有重要的事
Oh, thank you.
哦,谢谢你
May I ask...
我可以问一下...
do I know you?
我认识你吗?
I'm Alan Shore's assistant.
我是艾伦·肖尔的助理
Mr. Fife came to our office when he couldn't find you.
法伊夫先生找不到你,就到了我们办公室
I escorted him back to your office.
我送他回你办公室了
Excellent. I'll be right there.
很好,我马上就过去
You're waiting for me to tell you where your office is, aren't you?
你在等我告诉你办公室在哪吗?
No, I want to see the look on your face
不,我想看看你的表情
when you realize they still come through that door
当你意识到他们走进来
looking for one man to solve their problems.
找寻能解决他们问题的人
They don't come barging in looking for Paul or you.
不是急着找保罗或者你
Only one man.
只找那一个男人
Allow me.
请允许我
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
She can still pump my chubby.
她依然能把我的小象变大
Mrs. Schmidt.
施密特夫人
My mother is Mrs. Schmidt. You can call me Schmidt.
我母亲才是施密特夫人,叫我施密特就好
I know you're a very busy person,
我知道你非常忙
but if I could steal one minute of your busy time...
我能不能就占用你几分钟...
Regarding?
关于?
It's a little personal.
私人问题
10 o'clock.
十点整
They didn't just sue the school board.
他们没有起诉地区教育董事会
They sued me personally, which I regard as punitive.
而是起诉我个人,这是对我的报复
Walter, I can assure you, their cause of action is totally baseless.
沃尔特,我向你保证,他们的诉由完全没有根据
I haven't even told you what it is yet.
我还没告诉你是什么事情呢
Hi. Shirley Schmidt.
你好,我是雪莉·施密特
This is Walter Fife.
这是沃尔特·法伊夫
He's superintendent of the Middlesex school district.
他是米德尔塞克斯教育区的负责人
He's being sued.
他现在被人起诉
What'd you do, a little touchy-feely with a student?
你做了什么,跟学生亲密接触?
What?
什么?
God, no. What kind of question is that?
上帝,不,这算什么问题?
Oh, lighten up. Let's all sit.
哦,不要生气,大家坐
Shirley here is a senior partner, so you're in good hands.
雪莉是这里的高级合伙人,都是好手
You got both Shirley and, um...
你同时拥有雪莉和?
You.

Me. Right. Good. Okay.
我,是的,好,不错
Now, look, I'm gonna ask you something.
现在,我将问你一些事情
It's gonna be a question, and I want a direct answer,
可能会是个问题,我要直接的答案
no matter how difficult.
不管有多难
Okay.
好的
Why, Walter...
为什么,沃尔特...
are you being sued?
你会被起诉?
You promised you'd answer.
你答应过会回答
The school board voted to include
地区教育董事会投票决定
Creationism along with Darwinism in the 8th grade science curriculum.
在八年级的科学课上同时教授,神创论和达尔文进化论
The teachers refused, I terminated their employment.
老师们拒绝,我解雇了他们
They sued. Massachusetts is a blue state.
他们起诉我,马萨诸塞州是蓝州,
God has no place here.
这里没上帝的位置
I'm not sure you're really the lawyer for this particular...
我不确定你是否适合这件特殊的...
We have many attorneys well-equipped to handle...
我们有许多训练有素的律师,可以处理这个案子...
Nonsense. I've been practicing law for 45 years.
荒唐,我从事法律事业45年
Never lost a single case.
没有输过一起案件
You've never lost?
你从没输过?
My record is 6,043 to 0.
我的记录,6043比0
You hear the one about the fella who died and went to the Pearly gates?
你有没有听过一个家伙死掉后,来到天国之门的故事?
St. Peter let him in,
圣皮特让他进来
sees a guy in a suit making a closing argument,
看到一个西装革履的人在做结案陈词
says "who's that?"
便问,“那是谁?”
St. Peter says, "oh, that's god.
圣皮特说,“哦,那是上帝
Thinks he's Denny Crane. "
把他当成丹尼·克兰就行”
I'm your boy, Walter.
我是你的好伙计,沃尔特
Never lost.
从没输过
Never will.
绝对不会
Did she give you a reason? Just that my work didn't cut it.
她有给你理由吗?就因为我不能胜任
I mean, my reviews have all been good.
我的意思是,我的记录一直很好
Plus, it's not like they've given me very much to do.
并且,他们也没怎么让我做事
The Winchell case was really the first one they let me run with.
温切尔案是第一个真正让我办的案子
Well, you did forget to plead negligence.
你还忘记去辩“疏忽大意”
Sorry.
对不起
Let me talk to her, see if there's another story.
让我和她谈谈,看看是不是有其他原因
I mean, is this woman some sort of psycho witch or something?
这个女人是心理有问题还是什么?
Actually, no, she's extremely nice.
事实上,她人非常的好
We all know she was sent to shake the tree.
我们都知道她要整顿内务
This looks like it's already begun.
看起来已经开始了
I wonder who's next.
我在想谁是下一个
Lori
洛里
Can I steal you for a second?
我能借用你几分钟吗?
Sure.
当然
Dibs on her office.
轮流进她办公室
I just heard about Sally. I think you're making a mistake.
我刚听说萨莉的事,我认为你做了个错误的决定
I didn't ask. Which surprises me, actually.
我没有问你,事实上,令我吃惊的是
You and I are friends.
我们是朋友
I've worked with Sally... and being loyal to her,
我和萨莉一起共事过... 忠于朋友
you'd possibly be neither objective nor candid.
你很可能既不客观也不公正
Even so...
即使这样...
In either event, I didn't ask.
无论怎样,我没有问你
We just got a new case. Big client.
我们刚接了一个新案子,大客户
Middlesex school district.
米德尔塞克斯教育区
Denny's in charge, which is fine, as long as he doesn't speak.
丹尼负责,只要他不说话,一切都好
I need you to take over.
我需要你接管
How do I just take over?
我怎么接管?
He'll completely... you handle him, Lori,
他完全? 你可以搞定他,洛里
the way only you can.
用你独有的方式
What's the case? It's a variation of the Scopes trial.
什么案子?就是斯科普斯案的变种,
Three teachers were fired for refusing to teach Creationism.
三个老师因拒绝教授神创论而被解雇
They've sued.
他们告上法庭
Sounds like a slam dunk for them.
听起来稳操胜券,对他们来说
Perhaps.
也许
It would take some pretty ingenious lawyering on our part
我们将派出非常有独创性的大律师
from not only a gift attorney,
不仅是有天赋的律师
but someone who's an expert in the field.
还要是这方面的专家
Meaning?
意思是?
Lori, I know all the skeletons in your closet, remember?
洛里,我了解你柜子里的每一格,记得吗?
Including that deeply guarded little one
包括那些被你深深藏起
that you fear might ruin your intellectual reputation.
害怕会毁掉你知性形象的细微之处
You go to church.
你去教堂
Um, Schmidt, is this a good time?
呃,施密特,时间合适吗?
Yeah.
是的
Conferenceroom, noon?
会议室,中午见?
Okay.
好的.
Thank you.
谢谢
How can I help?
我能帮什么忙?
Well, this is very awkward.
这件事很尴尬
I'm not even sure you're the right person to come to but...
我不知道找你合不合适,但是...
you're a woman.
你是个女人
That's very kind.
非常好
I work for Alan Shore.
我为艾伦·肖尔工作
And in many, many ways,
在很多很多方面
he's an excellent boss.
他是个非常出色的老板
God knows, he isn't boring.
上帝知道,他一点也不无聊
But I feel...
但是我感觉到...
that he's been inappropriate with me.
他对待我有些不恰当
How so?
怎样?
Well, he compliments my figure daily.
他每天都称赞我的身材
And he just kind of does it in a lascivious way.
还是那种好色的方式
He also ranks my sweaters.
他还给我的毛衣打分
He ranks your sweaters?
他给你的毛衣打分?
Yes.
是的
Which ones he thinks I look best in.
哪一件我穿着最好看
This is a 3.
这一件3分
He asked if he could take one home for the weekend.
他问我能不能周末带一件回家
He told me he has dreams about me.
还说他做过关于我的梦
What kind of dreams?
什么样的梦?
All kinds.
各种各样
Uh, once he dreamt that I was just a head.
呃,有次他梦见我只剩一个头
No body. Just a head and...
没有身体,只有头
everywhere he went, he would carry me along,
不管他去哪里,他都带着我
wrapped in a muffler, to keep him company.
包在消声器里,给他做伴
And every so often, I would whisper terrible,
时不时的,我在他耳边说些
dirty things in his ear.
非常下流的事情
It feels a little like harassment. You think?
这让我感觉像是骚扰,只是感觉?
Would you like to work for another lawyer?
你愿意换其他律师吗?
Well, I'd just like him to stop.
我只想让他别再这样
I must admit that...
我必须承认...
sometimes, I've been guilty of playing along with his banter, but...
有时候,我为自己迎合他的戏谑感到羞愧,但是...
I'll take care of it.
我会处理
Thank you.
谢谢你
Nora,
诺拉
thank you for coming forward with this.
谢谢你来跟我谈这件事
I know it was difficult.
我知道这很艰难
We have very little information,
我们的信息非常有限
other than the victim was in her 50s
只知道另一个受害者50多岁
and that she was bludgeoned to death.
因击打致死
It is the second death in a week that has rocked this idyllic little street.
本周之内第二起死亡事件,再次震动了这个田园般的街区
Just last Friday, the victim's next-door neighbor
上星期五,这名受害者的邻居
died as well from a head trauma.
也因头部外伤死亡
You may recall the son was briefly held and then released.
那家的儿子被短暂拘留然后被释放
What?
干吗?
...indicated whether these two cases are connected
....这两起案件是否有联系
It's Bernie!
是伯尼!
Who?
谁?
My little skillet-wielding client from last week.
我上星期那个耍煎锅的小个子客户
He's whacked another one. He promised me he wouldn't.
他又砸了一个,他答应过我不干了
Does that mean you're...
这是不是意味着你...
finished?
结束了?
Alan?
艾伦?
What have you done?
你干什么了?
There's an awful lot of excitement. I saw.
你很激动,我知道
Both live and on the news.
新闻还有直播
You've been flailing again with your frying pan, haven't you, Bernard?
你又用煎锅打人了,是不是,伯纳德?
I never meant for it to happen. I am very disappointed.
我没想做的,我太失望了
I gave you a terrific speech last week, Bernie,
上周我跟你很深刻的谈了一次,伯尼
appealing to the kind inner you.
呼唤你善良内心
It was wonderful, poignant even,
我说的那么精彩,动人
and now you've completely mooted it by committing murder again.
现在你完全否定啊,又杀人
I never meant to kill her.
我没想过杀她
Oh, what, you just went over there to make an omelet,
噢,你只是过去做蛋卷
and things got out of hand? She knew.
然后就失控了?她知道
She heard an argument between me and mother.
她听到我们在吵架
She was out there watering her stupid plants,
她在外面给她的无聊植物浇水
in the winter, for god's sakes. The woman is not right.
在冬天,上帝,这个女人不正常
Or wasn't right.
或者曾经不正常
Alan, she said she was gonna call the police. Alan
她说她会报警
She said what she heard would not be hearsay.
她听到的不会算是传闻证据
She looked it up.
她查过
She said, because we were arguing,
她说,因为我们当时在争吵
it would, it would qualify as an excited blutterance.
会,会被认为是动冲犯罪
Suddenly, the skillet was in my hand, and I swung.
突然,煎锅在我手上,手一挥
Blutterance isn't even a real word,
动冲都不是一个真正的词
much less a defense!
更不能做辩解!
You've murdered somebody over a fake word!
你因为一个不存在的词谋杀了一个人!
I was careful to not leave any evidence.
我非常小心的没有留下任何证据
I went over there, stealth-like.
我又悄悄地过去
Oh, for god's sake.
上帝啊
and I, I staged a break-in in the back.
并且我,我布置入室抢劫的现场
I dispatched of her, and then I returned.
我迅速处理了她,然后我就返回来
Alan, I promise you, this will be the very, very last one. Alan
我保证,这是最后最后一次
I'm not representing you this time.
这次我不会为你辩护
You must, if it comes to that. I won't.
你一定要,如果真的找上我,我不会
You've let me down terribly!
你让我非常失望!
But, but you said that you stood for the little man!
但是,你说过你会为小人物挺身而出
I'm little!
我就很小!
The best thing, I feel,
最好的形势,我认为
would be to go for an immediate declaratory judgment.
就是申请直接宣告判决,
The last thing we want is a trial.
我们最不希望开庭审判
This is a hot-button issue.
这是一个热点问题
The ACLU will be jumping in, and that's only the beginning.
美国公民自由协会也将介入,但这还只是个开始
Why have I been taken off this case? You haven't.
为什么我被踢出这个案子?你没有
You've been relieved of the grunt work because it's beneath you.
你从这种无聊工作中解脱了,杀鸡焉用在牛刀
Relieve is a soft word for discharge.
解脱是解职的委婉说法
I recognize a demotion when I see one.
我一看就知道是降级
I am the master of the soft discharge.
我是委婉说法的大师
You refer again to when we were intimate.
我们还很亲密的时候,你也很萎
Now pay attention, and pretend you have a clue.
现在注意,假装你有线索
We all set?
我们准备好了吗?
Lock and load.
准备就绪
Let's go.
出发
Lori
洛里
Alan
艾伦
Alan, a second.
艾伦,等等
We have a little problem.
我们有点小问题
It seems you've been sexually harassing Nora Jacobs.
似乎你一直在性骚扰诺拉·雅各布斯
She signed a waiver.
她签了诉讼弃权书
I'm sorry?
对不起?
I make all my female employees sign sexual harassment waivers,
我让我所有的女雇员签了性骚扰诉讼弃权书
especially the pretty ones.
尤其是那些漂亮的
I don't think that document would hold up in court.
我不认为那些文件能在法庭上站得住脚.
But regardless, that kind of behavior isn't tolerated at Crane, Poole & Schmidt.
不管怎样,这种行为在克兰,普尔和施密特公司是不能容忍的
Which kind of behavior, specifically?
特别是哪种行为?
I think you're smart enough to sense where the line is, counselor.
我认为你足够聪明,知道界限在哪里
I'm never sure until I cross it.
不越过界去,我从来不敢肯定
She is a subordinate. There is a disparity of power.
她是你的下属,你们之间权力不对等
You will refrain from any sexual advances, verbal or otherwise.
你要节制一切的性表示,口头上或者其他
Shirley.
雪莉
What about senior partners?
那高级合伙人呢?
There would be nothing wrong with me
我去骚扰他们总没问题了吧?
lusting, say, after you, would there?
比如骚扰你
Go subscribe to National Geographic.
订阅国家地理杂志
Make a list of all the places you'll never get to visit.
列出你永远到不了的国家
Add to that list, Schmidt.
在最后加上,施密特
Sally, I'll talk to her, but other than that...
萨莉,我会和她谈谈,但是除了这个...
You can't pull some strings?
你不能在暗中帮帮忙?
What about Alan Shore? He's the one that pulls rabbits...
那艾伦·肖尔呢?,他很会揪兔子出来...
He's not a partner. You are.
他不是合伙人,你是
Besides, I slept with Alan Shore.
此外,我和艾伦·肖尔睡过
How objective can he... You also slept with me.
怎么会客观的...你也和我睡过
Do you ever think that might be part of the problem?
你就没想过这也会成问题?
That was unfair...
这不公平...
kicking me while I'm down.
对我落井下石
I guess I should've expected it.
我本该想到会这样
The police want to question me.
警察想要询问我
That's really a stunner, Bernie.
真是当头一棒,伯尼
They arrested you last week for whacking your mother,
上周他们因你重击你妈妈,把你逮捕
you got off on a technicality,
你因法律技术问题脱罪
now the woman next door turns up dead from a blow to the head.
现在,隔壁女人头部被重击致死
What could possibly make them think of you?
他们怎么会联想到你?
Should I talk to them? I wouldn't.
我要和他们谈谈吗?我不会
Where you once were convincing, you are now anything but.
以前你还能让人相信,现在一点也不
I don't like it when you speak to me in these hurtful tones.
我不喜欢你用这么伤人的语气说话
I am not an evil person. Yes, you are, Bernie.
我不是一个邪恶的人,你是的,伯尼
You've killed two people inside of a week.
你一周之内杀了两个人
By definition, that makes you evil.
非常清楚,你很邪恶
This last killing was premeditated, calculated.
最后那次杀人你有预谋,有计划
You went over there, as you said,
你到那里,像你说的
to dispatch a human being.
手脚麻利的杀人
You're a little bug.
你就是只小虫子
And like a bug, you will one day get stepped on.
就像虫子一样,总有一天要被踩死
Now go away. I do not represent evil people.
现在离开,我不会为邪恶的人辩护
I asked you to leave.
我说过让你离开
May I say one more thing?
我可以再说一句吗?
You cut me to the quick.
你伤了我的心
I am a bug.
我是只虫
My mother would often tell me
我妈妈经常告诉我,
I am nothing more than an insignificant little...
我是一只无关紧要的..
she used to call me a, a dung beetle.
她以前叫我,鼻涕虫
When I killed her,
当我杀了她
as she lay on the floor,
当她躺在地板上
for the first time, I felt alive.
我第一次感到,我还活着
I had actually done something.
我确实做过一些事
Perhaps a part of me sought to relive that power,
也许潜意识下的我,想再次体验那种权利感
but today, I, I do, I feel evil.
但是今天,我确实觉得罪恶深重
I need your help, Alan.
我需要你的帮助,艾伦
The police want to interrogate me.
警察要审问我
I don't know what to do.
我不知道该怎么办
Alan, could I, oh, I'm so sorry.
艾伦,我能,哦,对不起
That's okay.
没关系.
Tara Wilson, meet Bernard Ferrion.
塔拉·威尔逊见见Bernard Ferrion
He kills people with cookware. Allegedly, of course.
他用炊具杀人,当然,是依其申述
Bernie, Tara.
伯尼见过塔拉
She's your new lawyer. No, I prefer you.
她是你的新律师,不,我选你
No, you can't have me.
不,你不能选我
One reason being, I know too much.
理由就是,我知道太多
If you want this firm to help you, Tara's your lawyer.
如果你想让这家律师事务所帮你,塔拉就是你的律师
She's very fetching, but is she good?
她很迷人,但是她够好吗?
The police want to talk to him.
警察想和他谈话
There's an excellent chance you can avoid the prison term
你有很大的机会让他避免掉牢狱之灾
he very much deserves.
虽然他罪有应得
I must warn you, do not come to care for this man.
我必须提醒你,不要去关心这个人
He will let you down.
他会让你很失望
That's all.
就这些
Let's go, Mr. Ferrion.
我们走吧,Ferrion先生
Nora, when you get a minute.
诺拉,可以进来吗?
why did you feel compell to speak to Shirley Schmidt, why don't you take it up with me?
为什么你觉得你一定得找施密特谈?干吗不直接来找我?
I don't know. I suppose...
我不知道,我觉得...
I guess I didn't feel I could hold my own with you...
我觉得在你面前我不能把持自己...
which, I guess, is a part of the problem.
我想,这也是问题之一
"Alan, I'm uncomfortable with the banter. "
"艾伦,我对你的调笑感到不舒服,"
You could've said that.
你可以这样说
You did participate in the banter.
这些玩笑你也有份
I participated.
我参与了
I, of course, wanted to be liked by my boss.
我当然想我老板喜欢我
But then...
但后来..
it started to go too far.
事情发展的有些离谱
And when it went too far, why not tell me?
那时候,为什么不告诉我?
I don't know.
我不知道
Because I'd let it go on,
因为我任其发展
I felt maybe I'd gotten myself in...
我觉得或许是我自己陷入这种境地的..
At the seminars, you get the impression
在研讨会上,这里的高层会让你认为
that the senior people here are good at dealing with these things.
他们很会处理这种事情
I wanted you to stop.
我想让你别再这样
But I still like you, and like working for you.
但是我仍然喜欢你,仍然喜欢为你工作.
And I was hoping
我同时希望
they maybe had a way to solve the problem without any hurt feelings.
他们可以不用伤害感情的解决这件事
So, what happens now?
所以,现在该怎么办?
We actually call it intelligent design.
实际上我们称之为智能设计论,
Basically, the idea is life is so complex,
基本上说,生命是如此复杂
a greater power has to be at play.
更高一级的力量必定参与其中
The greater power being god.
更高一级的力量是上帝
We're by no means shutting down Darwinism,
我们绝没有否认达尔文理论
or suggesting that evolution is inaccurate.
或者指出那是错误的
Do you believe in evolution, Mr. Fife?
你相信进化论吗,法伊夫先生?
I happen to believe in both god and evolution.
我同时相信进化论和上帝
I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive.
我不认为这两者之间相互排斥
So, why not simply offer the intelligent design theory in religion courses?
为什么不直接在宗教课上教授智能设计论?
Why science?
为什么要在科学课上?
Well, we thought long and hard about that.
我们深思熟虑过
But the simple truth is more and more scientists,
但是,事实上越来越多的科学家
scientists, not theologians,
科学家,而不是神学家
have said that when you examine the intricacies of the human cell,
宣称,当你探究细胞的内部结构
the mathematical equations of DNA,
DNA的方程式
you simply cannot conclude that it's all explained by natural selection.
你无法简单的用自然选择学说来解释
Another power has to be at work.
另一种力量应该在发挥作用
God.
上帝
Well, again, we never mention him by name.
再说一次,我们没有提到他的名字
U are aware of the separation of church and state.
你知道政教分离吗?
I'm aware.
知道
This is boring crap.
无聊的废话
And you're also aware, Mr. Fife,
你也知道,法伊夫先生
that the supreme court has banned the teaching of Creationism.
最高法院禁止教授神创论
Well, as I said, technically, we're not calling it Creationism.
我说过,实际上,我们没称之为神创论
But you admitted that's what's going on.
但是你承认了事实如此
And Creationism holds
神创论认为
that god created the world about 6,000 years ago in 6 days.
6000年前上帝在6天之内创造了世界
That's not my view.
那不是我的观点
But it's a view you're insisting your teachers explain in a science class.
但是你坚持要老师在科学课上教授这种观点
As a theory.
作为一种理论
A theory with no scientific basis other than to say,
一种完全没有科学依据
"Gee, evolution can't account for it all".
除了说“嘿,进化论不能解释一切”的理论
Why the helmet?
为什么要戴头盔?
Well, it wouldn't be for here. It would be for at home.
这里用不着戴,是在家里戴的
Well, the thinking being if there's somebody in my neighborhood
想象我有个邻居
breaking into houses whacking eople from behind on the head,
闯进别人房子,从背后砸别人脑袋
it would make sense for me to wear a helmet.
我戴个头盔是很合理的
I want to exude innocence, you see.
你看,我想显得清白
Get rid of the helmet.
脱掉头盔
But, Ms. Wilson, at, at my core,
但是,威尔逊女士,在我内心深处
I'm a little man.
我是个小男人
It would make sense for me to want to protect myself, right?
我想保护我自己是说得通的,对吗?
Get rid of the helmet. You look ridiculous.
脱掉头盔,你看起来很滑稽
Now, listen to me.
现在,听我说.
The police have asked for a DNA sample, and I'm gonna agree.
警方已经要求DNA样本,我会同意
What? Why on earth?
什么?为什么?
Because they could get one with a court order.
因为他们能拿到法庭令
There's no point in opposing.
反对没有任何意义
Well, what about my right to not incriminate myself?
那,我的“不得强迫自证其罪”权利呢?
Cooperation goes a long way towards exuding innocence, Mr. Ferrion,
合作大大有利于显示清白,Ferrion先生
much better than hockey headgear.
比戴个冰球帽好得多
You know, everyone is speaking to me in hurtful tones,
每个人都用这么伤人的语气跟我说话
and I don't appreciate it.
我不喜欢
I did kill people.
我确实杀过人
You'd think I'd incur a little shock and awe, if not respect.
如果你不尊敬我,也要表现出惊讶和恐惧
Is that why you did this?
所以你才那么做?
To inspire awe?
让人敬畏?
Alan Shore told me that your mother referred to you as a dung beetle.
艾伦·肖尔告诉我你妈妈叫你鼻涕虫
Please don't mention that particular species to me.
请不要在我面前再提那个物种
I don't know what else Alan told you, but I'm a kind man.
我不知道艾伦还跟你说了什么,但我是个善良的人
I have admittedly committed two heinous acts,
我确实犯下那两个无法饶恕的罪行
but the first was not voluntary,
但是第一次不是故意的
and the second was out of desperation,
第二次是出于绝望
not wanting to go to prison where bigger men will have their way with me.
我不想进监狱,让那些比我高大的人欺负我
Ms. Wilson, I need your help.
威尔逊女士,我需要你的帮助
Please be on my side.
请站在我这一边
I'm sorry.
对不起
That remark was way out of line.
我说的太过分了
Listen, Sally, it didn't help that you were with me a year and a half ago,
萨莉,一年半前你和我,接着又和艾伦·肖尔
and then you were with Alan Shore. It's gossip. It travels fast.
这些帮不到你,坏事传千里
But I have no doubt, none,
但是我从来不怀疑
that you are going to be an exceptional attorney,
你会成为一位出色的律师
but just not here.
但是不会在这里
They're never gonna give you the chance.
他们不会给你这个机会
You need to...
你需要...
remake yourself.
重塑你自己
Start fresh.
重新开始
You asked me for help.
你向我寻求帮助
And I'm going to provide it to you in the form of advice.
我会向你建议
You need to go.
你应该离开
At the beginning of the school year,
本学年刚开始
we got the word at our teachers' assembly
我们在教师会议上得知
that moral values would be one of our educational objectives,
道德价值将会做为教学目标之一
which was fine.
这没什么
But to have evolution bumped for Creationism...
但是进化论给神创论让路...
well, to be fair, evolution isn't being displaced.
公平的来说,进化论并没有被取代
Creationism is just being included.
只是加入了神创论
Evolution is a tough subject matter.
进化论是个很难教的知识点
We cannot cut into what little class time we have to service a political agenda.
我们不能因为政策原因再削减本来就少的课时
Objection. This is non-responsive.
反对,与本案无关
Please limit your answers to the questions, ma'am.
请简要回答问题,女士
Why can't you view intelligent design as a science, Ms. Turner?
为什么你不认为智能设计论是科学,特纳夫人?
Because there is simply no scientific data to support it.
因为没有任何科学证据支持它
How are we to maintain
我们怎么去维护
any credibility as science teachers
科学课老师的可信度
if we say,
如果我们说
"Gee, despite all this data, there's also another possibility"?
“嘿,尽管没有证据,另一种可能也是存在的”?
Intelligent design makes a mockery of science.
智能设计论是对科学的践踏
If you wanna teach it as a religion course, fine.
如果你把它当作宗教课程,可以
But as a science,
但是当作科学课
it's simply preposterous.
这是非常荒谬的
I just don't understand why he wouldn't wanna talk.
我只是不明白为什么他不想谈谈
If there's a serial killer loose in his neighborhood...
如果真有连环杀人犯在他家附近...
He'd love to talk. I'm not letting him.
他很想谈,是我不让他说
I'll tell you one thing.
我要告诉你
Bernard
伯纳德
You people wrongly arrested him last time with no evidence
你们上次就在没有任何证据,仅凭他母亲的鲁莽指控
after his mother recklessly accused him.
错误的逮捕了他
Now, it's clear there is somebody in the neighborhood killing people,
现在很显然那个社区有人做案
you haven't so much as apologized to Mr. Ferrion for ruining his good name.
你还没有因毁了Ferrion先生的好名声道歉
Why should we expect any fair treatment from you?
我们怎么指望从你那里得到公正的对待?
I'm done.
完成了
Once again, I'll encourage your client not to leave the jurisdiction.
再次重申,我希望你的客户不要离开管辖范围
Bully boy.
流氓
Bernard
伯纳德
You handled that deftly.
你处理的真巧妙
So, what now?
现在怎么办?
You can go home.
你可以回家了
If, indeed, you left no traces behind,
如果你真的没有留下任何痕迹
and assuming they find no DNA, and with no smoking skillet,
并且他们没找到DNA,或者冒烟的锅子
you'll likely get away with it once again.
你有可能再次逍遥法外
You're using a judgmental tone.
你在用审判的语气
Do you really expect us not to condemn you?
你真的希望我们不谴责你?
You killed two people.
你杀了两个人命
Well, I expect you to condemn my actions,
我以为你会谴责我的行为
but, I suppose, not me.
而不是我本人
You can go.
你可以走了
How's Alan?
艾伦怎么样了?
Honestly, I think he's hurt.
说实话,我认为他受到了伤害
You hear all the time how clients are let down by their lawyers.
你总是听说律师怎样让他的客户失望
Sometimes it's the attorney who's let down by the client.
有时候,是客户让他们的律师失望
As silly as it may sound,
听起来可能很傻
the cynical, jaded Alan Shore gets a bit desperate sometimes
愤世嫉俗,冷酷无情的艾伦·肖尔,有时也会渴望相信
to believe in the goodness of mankind.
人性本善
He found, I think, some hope in you.
他在你身上找到了一些希望,我想
And you crushed it...
但是你毁了它...
like a bug.
就像虫子一样
You're firing me? Certainly not, I'd get sued.
你在解雇我?当然不是,我会吃官司
I'm reassigning you.
我要调整你的工作岗位
If I get put back into the pool, that's the same as a demotion.
如果把我打回人力资源那里,等于降职
Nora, I'm not going to change who I am. Nora
我不会改变我的为人
I can work on it, but leaps and bounds I'll never make.
我可以试试,但是我永远不可能做到
When I look at women, most women,
当我看到女人,大多数女人
my mind wanders invariably to sexual fantasy of a broad and curious nature,
因为我自由而好奇的天性,我总会产生性幻想
unfettered by moral restraint. I can't help it.
而不会被道德约束,我情不自禁
I realize this candor
我知道这种坦率会让我作茧自缚
could come back to haunt me should you indeed file a claim,
所以才让你签那份声明
but when I look at you,
但是当我看到你
I often conjure up the most intimate and explicit of distractions.
那些亲密的露骨的事情总是出现在我脑海中
That's not going to change.
永远都不会改变
You're a sexually attractive...
你是个性感迷人的...
beast.
禽兽
Could you excuse us, Shirley? I'm dictating a letter.
请原谅,雪莉,我在口述信件
I give you my word,
我向你保证
you will not get a demotion.
你不会被降职
I also offer you my gratitude for making me realize that sometimes, women...
同时也感谢你,让我意识到有时候,女人...
play along, and yet nevertheless feel harassed.
很合作,但是仍然觉得厌烦
I suppose it's the callous idiot who can't appreciate that.
我想只有笨蛋才会不知道
I apologize for being that idiot.
我为曾是这种傻瓜而道歉
Nora
诺拉
the next time that somebody does something to you that you don't like,
下一次如果有人对你做了你不喜欢的事
be direct.
直接说
I assure you, you're up to it.
我保证,你要什么都有人给
That was very eloquent.
演说很精彩
Thank you.
谢谢
You need to get me another secretary, Shirley,
你得再给我找个秘书,雪莉
someone more willing to be harassed.
一个更愿被骚扰的人
I'll see what I can do.
我尽力而为
These are bad times for science, your honor,
科学面临很多困境,法官大人
especially at the hands of moral values.
尤其是面对道德价值观
The government has systematically distorted or worse,
政府一直有组织的扭曲科学
suppressed findings by the FDA and EPA
食品及药物管理局和环保署打压新的科学发现
when it comes to contraception,
当遇到避孕
stem cell research, AIDS, global warming, pollution.
肝细胞研究,艾滋病,全球气候变暖,环境污染
Let's just stick to the case, counsel, and leave politics out of it.
请回到这个案子上来,律师,不要掺入政治问题
This case is all about politics.
这个案子就是政治问题
It's about getting religion back into schools.
它想让宗教重回学校
Creationism is religious doctrine.
神创论是宗教学说
It is not supported by scientific data.
没有科学依据支持
I'm a christian, my wife is a jew.
我是基督教徒,我妻子是犹太人
We have wonderful debates.
我们为此激烈争辩
And this country, as a whole, should be more theologically literate,
这个国家,总体来说,应该更加普及神学知识
but it's not science.
但那不是科学
What's happening here today is an attack on evolution.
今天在这里发生的一切是对进化论的抨击
It's clever.
这样做很聪明
Let's call it intelligent design.
姑且称之为智能进化论
Let's not mention god. But, come on,
不提到上帝,但是
the supreme court banned the teaching of Creationism in the public schools.
最高法院禁止在公立学校教授神创论
They were right then, they remain right today,
当时他们是正确的,现在依然如此
and my client's discharge was unlawful,
我的客户被解雇是毫无法律依据的
as well as in violation of our time-honored tradition
并且也违背了我们悠久的传统
of separating church and state.
那就是政教分离
Of course we have a legitimate cause of action.
我们当然有合法的起诉缘由
That was almost evangelical.
说的简直就像福音书
The establishment clause prohibits the endorsement of or discrimination
“建立条款”禁止政府对某个特定宗教,
against any particular religion,
做出支持或者歧视
but it was never meant to extinguish the notion of a higher power.
但是它从来没有意图抹去“更高力量”的概念
I certainly believe in evolution.
我当然相信进化论
Who here among us, while watching the presential debates,
我们中的任何一人看到现有证据
could deny that we all come from monkeys?
都不会否认我们是从猴子进化而来
But what's so wrong with suggesting as a possible theory
但是将“更高力量”也参与其中,作为一种可能的理论
that a higher power might have also played a part?
又有什么错呢?
As for church and state,
对于教会和国家来说
we go to war over god-given rights to democracy.
我们以上帝赐予民主之权利进行战争
Let's face it.
让我们面对这个事实
God is big here.
上帝在这里更加强大
We love god.
我们热爱上帝
And we, as a nation, have an overwhelming belief
我们,作为一个民族,拥有一个坚定的信念
he had something to do with the creation of humankind.
上帝在人类起源中发挥了作用
But teach that in a science class?
但是在科学课堂上教授它?
Perish the thought.
想都不能想
Nobody here is trying to squash evolution.
这里没有人试图挤压进化论
And I would agree with Mr. Gellman,
我也同意格尔曼先生
it isn't good science to suppress information.
压制思想的科学不是好科学
But I would ask the court,
但是我想要问问庭上
who here today is trying to do the squashing?
今天在这里,是谁在搞挤压?
What do you mean you want to go to tial?
你说你要上法庭是什么意思?
I'm afriad of dying and death by innuendo
我害怕死于流言蜚语中
I thought if I went to trial, it would offer me a chance to clear my name.
我想如果我接受庭审,会有机会还我清白
Clear your name? You did it.
还你清白? 你犯罪了!
But nobody knows that.
但又没人知道
Have you gone mad?
你疯了吗?
They haven't got any evidence, they can't even arrest you,
他们没有证据,甚至不能逮捕你
and you're here asking to go to trial?
你却要求庭审?
What is the matter with you?
你到底什么问题?
The suspense of them building a case,
等他们立案的焦虑
it's just too much to bear.
太让人受不了
I'm lonely.
我很孤独
All I ever had was my mother, and I killed her.
我以前只有我妈妈,我杀了她
The only other person who ever, ever talked to me was my neighbor.
另一个跟我说话的,就是我邻居
Killed her, too.
我也杀了她
How's Alan?
艾伦还好吗?
I miss him.
我想他
Bernard
伯纳德
unless something else happens here,
除非其它事情发生
your case is over.
你的案子结束了
Now, I can appreciate that you're lonely,
我可以理解你很孤独
but you need to find a life for yourself now.
但是你需要自己去寻找新的生活
But, um, how do I do that?
但是,我该怎么做?
Bernard, your case status at the moment is over.
伯纳德,你的案子已经结束了
Okay.
好吧
Okay.
好吧
Alan?
艾伦?
Hello.
你好
Mrs. Piper?
派珀夫人?
You remember!
你记得我!
Oh, I always say,
噢,我总是说
shake a man's hand with dog poop on your glove,
用带狗便便的手套跟人握手
he'll remember you for life.
他会一辈子记得你
I remember you because I trick-or-treated at your house.
我记得你是,因为我万圣节到你家要过糖吃
How are you, dear?
你怎么样,亲爱的?
You don't look well.
你看起来不是很好
What are you doing here?
你来这里干什么?
I'm applying for the position of your secretary, of course.
我是来应征你的秘书的
I heard what happened to the last one,
我听说上一个秘书的事情了
and I must say,
我得说
your problem...
你的问题是...
most people aren't able to see that
大多数的人不能看到
beneath your slick, insensitive exterior,
在你世故麻木的外表下
deep down, you really are a douche bag.
你是个口不择言的小笨蛋
I get that, Alan.
我知道的,艾伦
You'd have no misunderstanding with me.
我绝不会误会你的
Mr. Shore.
肖尔先生
Oh, my, what an adorable little man.
哦,多可爱的小人啊
Are you a midget, dear?
你是侏儒吗,亲爱的?
I, uh, I just wanna say
我,我只是想说
that I am deeply sorry,
我真的很抱歉
and I assure you,
并且我向你保证
that I am gonna try to live up to all the potential
我会活出所有你在我身上看到的
that you saw in me as a human being.
人的潜质
I give you my word.
我向你保证
Well, that was sweet.
真是贴心
So...
那么...
do I get the job?
我得到这份工作了吗?
Nobody is more frightened than I am
没有人象我这样震惊
of the religious right getting a stranglehold on our values.
因为宗教自由权渐渐变成我们价值观的阻碍
Is this the part where we get spanked?
就是这里我们要受到重创?
It seems as long as you do it in the name of the almighty,
好像只要以全能之主的名义做事
one is free to abandon not only common sense and science,
不止放弃了一般常识和科学
but also the facts.
还放弃了事实真相
But I am also concerned about a secular society
但我同样也考虑到世俗社会
squeezing faith out of our lives.
也将信仰挤出了我们的生活
We have all witnessed the ridiculous lawsuits
我们都看到过那些荒唐的法律案件
to stop nativity scenes at Christmas,
试图阻止圣诞节上演基督降生的舞台剧
to take god out of the pledge of allegiance.
试图将上帝在效忠誓言中去掉
God has always been a part of who and what we are as a nation.
上帝一直都是我们民族定义的一部分
On our currency, it reads "in god we trust. "
在我们的货币上,写着,"我们相信上帝. "
The declaration of independence speaks of god,
《独立宣言》也提到了上帝
how we are created, endowed by our creator.
我们从何而来,造物主之恩赐
It references "our supreme judge of the world," and "divine providence. "
还提到"世间至高无上的法官" "神圣的上帝,"
God.
上帝
And I'm sorry,
我很遗憾
anybody who has ever held a newborn child in his hands
任何一个曾经手抱婴儿的人
must make room for the chance that a higher power exists.
都会相信“更高力量”的存在
And it shouldn't offend you as scientists to say,
做为一个科学家,说出这句话不是耻辱
"Hey, we just don't know. "
“嗨,我们就是不知道”
I find the decision
我做出判决:
to include intelligent design along with evolution into the science curriculum
将智能创造论纳入科学范围
does not violate the establishment clause of the First amendment.
并没有违反第一修正案之确立条款
I'm ruling in favor of the defendant.
我裁定被告胜诉
This lawsuit is dismissed.
案子结束
Oh, boy.
哦,伙计
Was it interesting? I didn't listen to a word.
有趣吧? 我一个字也没听进去
Thank you.
谢谢你
Thank you both.
谢谢你们两个
Good luck, Mr. Fife.
祝你好运,法伊夫先生
What's the expression?
应该怎么表达?
Uh, go with god.
呃,与上帝同行
So when are you leaving?
你什么时候走?
Is there a big rush?
很急吗?
I didn't mean it like that.
我不是那个意思
I'm leaving now, tonight.
我现在就走,今晚
You know, for what it's worth,
你知道,我随便说下
Shirley can be very draconian,
雪莉可以非常苛刻
and when she makes up her mind, it's not...
当她下定决心,就不会...
I have nothing against Shirley.
我对Shirley没有意见
In fact, she didn't even really hurt me.
事实上,她都没有真的伤到我
Shirley doesn't know me.
雪莉不认识我
You do.
但是你认识
Lori does, Alan does.
洛里认识,艾伦认识
a lot of people, none of whom took issue with Shirley.
好多人,没有一个跟雪莉争论
The silent majority has spoken, Brad...
多数人的沉默,布拉德...
with a resounding roar.
如同共鸣的咆哮
Every knock is a boost.
越挫越勇
I'm gonna cling to that and a few other cliche for a while.
我会用这句或者其他陈词滥调,坚持一阵儿
And then, you'll all see me again.
然后,你会再看到我
In court, across the deposition table.
在法庭上,在对手席上
You'll all see me again.
你会再看到我
That's a promise.
我保证
He's just so profoundly lonely.
他真的很孤独
Bernard
伯纳德
He came to apologize.
他来道歉过
I actually think that he wanted to get arrested
我真觉得,他很想被逮捕
because he's so starved for attention.
因为他太渴望被人关注
I hate this job.
我痛恨这份工作
Well, you warned me not to care for him.
你警告过我不要太关心他
Tara, don't.
塔拉,不要
Do not let yourself. Well, it's over now.
别那么做,现在结束了
He's gone.
他走了
What's done is done.
覆水难收
It's not over. That's the problem.
不是结束,是麻烦
What do you mean?
你什么意思?
He'll kill again.
他会再杀人
What, did he say that? No, but I just get the feeling.
他说过那个?没有,我只是有这种感觉
He'll kill again.
他会再杀人
What are you doing out here?
你在外面干吗呢?
Just looking at the city.
只是看着这座城市
Still trying to fathom that...
还在想看到...
The Red sox won?
红袜队胜利?
What's this?
这是什么?
The boys do it. I thought we'd give it a try.
男生抽这个,我想我们也可以试试
You wanna smoke cigars?
你想抽雪茄?
Passing of the torch from the boys' club to us.
把男生俱乐部的火炬传到我们这里
Well, I'll smoke to that.
为这个我也抽一下
Awful.
糟糕
Let me try.
让我试一下
That's terrible.
糟透了
Well, this makes it official.
这就有利的证明了
We've evolved more than they have.
我们比他们进化得好
Is it a good thing we won today?
我们今天赢是件好事吗?
I don't know.
我不知道
You believe in a higher power, right?
你相信有更高的力量,对吗?
It wasn't just advocacy in that room?
而不只是在法庭上的辩论?
With what's going on in the world, I need to believe.
世间上的事物让我相信
But...
但是...
But what?
但是什么?
God forbid the next court says
上帝也会禁止另一个法庭说
it's okay to ban evolution from the schools.
“禁止在学校教授进化论”
Yeah.
是的
God forbid.
上帝会的

分享到
重点单词
  • declarationn. 宣布,宣言
  • avoidvt. 避免,逃避
  • dispatchv. 派遣,迅速做完,立即处死 n. 派遣,发送,急件,
  • conjurev. 变戏法,恳求,唤起,以咒文召唤
  • bubblen. 气泡,泡影 v. 起泡,冒泡
  • dealingn. 经营方法,行为态度 (复数)dealings:商务
  • gossipn. 流言蜚语,闲话,爱说长道短的人 vi. 散播(流言
  • amendv. 修正,改进
  • pollutionn. 污染,污染物
  • evidencen. 根据,证据 v. 证实,证明