2分钟英语口语课堂(视频+中英文本) 第33期:俗语"看你的了" Idiom 'Ball Is in Your Court'
日期:2016-07-01 16:41

(单词翻译:单击)

Introduction
引言

Welcome to twominenglish class. Teaching you English through two-minute lessons.In this lesson we will discuss the idiom 'the ball is in your court' and how to use it in conversations.
欢迎来到两分钟英语课堂,通过两分钟课程教你学英语,这节课我们会讨论在交流中的俗语“看你的了”以及怎样使用这句话。

Explanation
解释

Mark: If someone says 'the ball is in your court' to you, it means that he wants you to react on the matter.
Mark:如果有人说“看你的了”,这就意味着他想要你处理这件事。
Daisy: Mr. Smith told me that the ball is in my court when he gave me the assignment. He meant that I should work on it now, right?
Daisy:当史密斯先生给我这任务的时候,他跟我说“看你的了”,他意思是说我现在就应该处理好,是吗?
Mark: You got it, Daisy. The idiom is often used in making a decision. However, it also means that whatever happens, it's up to you; now it's your turn to make a decision.
Mark:没错,黛西。这俗语在做决定时通常会被用到。然而,不论发生什么,你都要负责,现在轮到你做出决定了。
Daisy: So if the ball is in someone's court, it means that it's now his responsibility to do something about it.
Daisy:因此如果轮到某人,这就意味着他要对这件事负责。
Mark: Correct! This makes the meaning clear. Will you give me some examples?
Mark:正确,这意思很清楚,你可以给我列举例子吗?
Daisy: I guess the ball is in my court now! Okay, here's one example: "I've emailed you my half of the report, Mark. Now the ball is in your court."
Daisy:我猜现在是轮到我了,好的,我有一个例子:“我半份报告已经给你邮过去了,现在轮到你了,马克”。
Mark: Thank you Daisy! By the way, we've already raised $3000 for the freshmen party. Now the ball is in your court to schedule it.
Mark:黛丝,谢谢你。顺便提一下,我们已经为这个新组织筹集了3000美元,现在轮到你来安排了。
Daisy: Don't worry Mark, actually I've planned it already! Let's listen to some conversations now.
Daisy:不要担心,马克,实际上我已经计划好了,现在先让我们听一些对话。

Where's the Balance Sheet?
财务报表在哪里?

Wilson: What about the balance sheet, Olivia? Have you done it?
Wilson:奥利维亚,财务报表呢?你完成了吗?
Olivia: I did my bit and gave it to John. The ball's in his court now. You should talk to him, Wilson.
Olivia:我做了我那部分,然后给约翰了,现在在他那里,威尔逊,你应该问问他。
Wilson: Thank you Olivia. I'll ask John about it.
Wilson:奥利维亚,谢谢,我会找约翰问问的。

The Transfer Request
传达要求

Olivia: Wilson, what happened to your job transfer?
Olivia:威尔逊,你工作调动怎么样了?
Wilson: Yeah! I talked to Mr. Jones about it. He said the ball is in the chairman's court.
Wilson:我已经和约翰先生谈过了,他说由董事长决定。
Olivia: I see. So you might have to stay with us a bit longer!
Olivia:我明白了,那么你可能会和我们待的更久一点。
Wilson: For now, I have no choice, unless I just quit.
Wilson:至少现在,我没的选择,我又不是刚辞职。
Olivia: If the chairman refuses your transfer request, the ball will be in your court.
Olivia:如果董事长拒绝你的工作调动,那就轮到你做决定了。
Wilson: Yeah. That's right. It'll be a tough decision.
Wilson:是的,很正确,那决定会很艰难的。

Enough of Movies!
受够了电影

Olivia: Hey Wilson, let's watch one of the new movies today!
Olivia:嘿,威尔逊,我们去看今天新上映的电影吧!
Wilson: I'm a little tired of watching movies, let's do something else.
Wilson:看电影看的我有些厌烦了,我们去做别的事吧!
Olivia: Okay, what would you like to do then? I'll do anything you want to.
Olivia:好的,那你想做什么?只要你想做我就会做。
Wilson: Really?
Wilson:真的吗?
Olivia: Yep, the ball's in your court!
Olivia:是的,现在由你选择。

分享到