第3期:福尔摩斯到访华生诊所(3)
日期:2023-12-08 14:37

(单词翻译:单击)

"I am afraid that I rather give myself away when I explain," said he.
"恐怕我这么一解释,就泄露了天机,"他说道。
"Results without causes are much more impressive. You are ready to come to Birmingham, then?"
"只讲结果不讲原因反而会给人留下更深的印象。那么,你是准备到伯明翰去了?"
"Certainly. What is the case?"
"当然了。这件案子是怎么一回事?"
"You shall hear it all in the train. My client is outside in a four-wheeler. Can you come at once?"
"到火车上我把这一切讲给你听。我的委托人在外面四轮马车上等着。你能马上走吧?"
"In an instant." I scribbled a note to my neighbour, rushed upstairs to explain the matter to my wife, and joined Holmes upon the doorstep.
"稍等一等"。我急匆匆地给邻人写了一条便条,跑上楼去向我妻子说明了一下,到门外石阶上赶上了福尔摩斯。
"Your neighbour is a doctor," said he, nodding at the brass plate.
"你的邻居是一个医生,"福尔摩斯向隔壁门上的黄铜门牌点头示意说。
"Yes, he bought a practice as I did."
"对,他也像我一样,买了一个诊疗所。"

77611701845158.png

"An old-established one?"
"这个诊疗所老早就有了?"
"Just the same as mine. Both have been ever since the houses were built."
"和我的一样,从房子一建成,两个诊疗所就成立了。"
"Ah! then you got hold of the best of the two."
"啊!那么,你这边生意比较好些了。"
"I think I did. But how do you know?"
"我想是这样。可是你怎么知道的?"
"By the steps, my boy. Yours are worn three inches deeper than his.
"从台阶上看出来的,我的朋友。你家台阶比他家的磨薄了三英寸。
But this gentleman in the cab is my client, Mr. Hall Pycroft. Allow me to introduce you to him.
马车上这位先生就是我的委托人,霍尔·派克罗夫特先生。请允许我来介绍一下。
Whip your horse up, cabby, for we have only just time to catch our train.
喂,车夫,把马赶快点,我们的时间刚好能赶上火车。"

分享到