第2期:福尔摩斯到访华生诊所(2)
日期:2023-12-07 14:37

(单词翻译:单击)

"To-day, for example?"
"譬如说,今天就去怎么样。"
"Yes, to-day, if you like."
"可以,如果你愿意,今天就去吧。"
"And as far off as Birmingham?"
"去伯明翰这样远的地方也行吗?"
"Certainly, if you wish it."
"如果你愿意,当然可以。"
"And the practice?"
"那么你的医务呢?"
"I do my neighbour's when he goes. He is always ready to work off the debt."
"我邻居外出,我就替他行医。他总想报答我这份情意。"
"Ha! nothing could be better," said Holmes, leaning back in his chair and looking keenly at me from under his half-closed lids.
"哈!这再好也没有了!"福尔摩斯向后仰靠在椅子上,眯缝着双眼敏锐地望着我。
"I perceive that you have been unwell lately. Summer colds are always a little trying."
"我发现你最近一定身体不好,夏天感冒总是有点令人讨厌的。"
"I was confined to the house by a severe chill for three days last week. I thought, however, that I had cast off every trace of it."
"上星期我得了重感冒,三天没有出门。可是,我想我现在已经完全好了。"
"So you have. You look remarkably robust."
"这一点不错,你看起来很壮实。"
"How, then, did you know of it?"
"那么,你怎么知道我生过病呢?"
"My dear fellow, you know my methods."
"我亲爱的伙计,你是知道我的方法的。"
"You deduced it, then?"
"那么,又靠你的推理法了。"
"Certainly."
"一点也不错。"
"And from what?"
"从何说起呢?"

77611701845158.png

"From your slippers."
"从你的拖鞋上。"
I glanced down at the new patent-leathers which I was wearing.
我低头看了看我脚上穿的那双新漆皮拖鞋,
"How on earth..." I began, but Holmes answered my question before it was asked.
“你究竟是怎样..."我开始说,可是福尔摩斯没等我问完就先开了口。
"Your slippers are new," he said. "You could not have had them more than a few weeks.
"你的拖鞋是新的,"他说道,"你买来还不到几个星期。
The soles which you are at this moment presenting to me are slightly scorched.
可是我看那冲向我这边的鞋底已经烧焦了。
For a moment I thought they might have got wet and been burned in the drying.
起初我以为是沾了水后在火上烘干时烧焦的。
But near the instep there is a small circular wafer of paper with the shopman's hieroglyphics upon it.
可是鞋面上有个小圆纸起,上面写着店员的代号。
Damp would of course have removed this.
如果鞋子沾过水,这代号纸片早该掉了。
You had, then, been sitting with your feet outstretched to the fire, which a man would hardly do even in so wet a June as this if he were in his full health."
所以你一定是依炉伸脚烤火烤焦了鞋底,一个人要是无病无灾,即使在六月份这样潮湿的天气,他也不会轻易去烤火的。"
Like all Holmes's reasoning the thing seemed simplicity itself when it was once explained.
就像福尔摩斯的所有推理一样,事情一经解释,本身看来非常简单。
He read the thought upon my features, and his smile had a tinge of bitterness.
他从我脸上看出了我的想法,笑了起来,但却有些挖苦的意味。

分享到