经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第687期
日期:2020-11-03 09:06

(单词翻译:单击)

He replied not: he seemed serious -- abstracted; he sighed; he half-opened his lips as if to speak: he closed them again.

他没有回答,似乎很严肃——散神了。他叹了口气,半张开嘴,仿佛想说话,但又闭上了。

I felt a little embarrassed.

我觉得有点儿窘。

Perhaps I had too rashly over-leaped conventionalities; and he, like St. John, saw impropriety in my inconsiderateness.

也许我提议陪伴他,帮助他是自作多情;也许我太轻率了、超越了习俗。而他像圣·约翰一样。从我的粗疏中看到了我说话不得体。

md_fedf7a01a12d-jane-2.jpg

I had indeed made my proposal from the idea that he wished and would ask me to be his wife:

其实,我的建议是从这样的思想出发的,就是他希望,也会求我做他的妻子。

an expectation, not the less certain because unexpressed, had buoyed me up, that he would claim me at once as his own.

一种虽然并没有说出口,却十分肯定的期待支持着我,认为他会立刻要求我成为他的人。

But no hint to that effect escaping him and his countenance becoming more overcast,

但是他并没有吐出这一类暗示、他的面部表情越来越阴沉了。

I suddenly remembered that I might have been all wrong, and was perhaps playing the fool unwittingly;

我猛地想到,也许自己全搞错了,或许无意中充当了傻瓜。

and I began gently to withdraw myself from his arms -- but he eagerly snatched me closer.

我开始轻轻地从他的怀抱中抽出身来——但是他焦急地把我抓得更紧了。

"No -- no -- Jane; you must not go.

“不——不——简。你一定不能走。

No -- I have touched you, heard you, felt the comfort of your presence -- the sweetness of your consolation: I cannot give up these joys.

不——我已触摸到你,听你说活,感受到了你在场对我的安慰——你甜蜜的抚慰。我不能放弃这些快乐,

I have little left in myself -- I must have you.

因为我身上已所剩无多——我得拥有你。

The world may laugh -- may call me absurd, selfish -- but it does not signify.

世人会笑话我——会说我荒唐,自私——但这无伤大雅。

My very soul demands you: it will be satisfied, or it will take deadly vengeance on its frame."

我的心灵企求你,希望得到满足,不然它会对躯体进行致命的报复。”

"Well, sir, I will stay with you: I have said so."

“好吧,先生,我愿意与你呆在一起、我已经这么说了。”

"Yes -- but you understand one thing by staying with me; and I understand another.

“不错——不过,你理解的同我呆在一起是一回事,我理解的是另一回事。

You, perhaps, could make up your mind to be about my hand and chair -- to wait on me as a kind little nurse

也许你可以下决心呆在我身边和椅子旁——像一个好心的小护士那样侍候我

(for you have an affectionate heart and a generous spirit, which prompt you to make sacrifices for those you pity),

(你有一颗热诚的心,慷慨大度的灵魂,让你能为那些你所怜悯的人作出牺牲),

and that ought to suffice for me no doubt.

对我来说,无疑那应当已经够了。

I suppose I should now entertain none but fatherly feelings for you: do you think so?

我想我现在只能对你怀着父亲般的感情了,你是这么想的吗?

Come -- tell me."

来——告诉我吧。”

分享到