经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第638期
日期:2020-08-13 08:50

(单词翻译:单击)

The veil fell from his hardness and despotism.

面罩从他冷酷和专横的面孔上落下。

Having felt in him the presence of these qualities, I felt his imperfection and took courage.

我一旦觉得他身上存在着这些品质,便感到他并非完美无缺了,因而也就鼓起了勇气。

I was with an equal -- one with whom I might argue -- one whom, if I saw good, I might resist.

我与一位同等的人在一起——我可以与他争辩——如果认为妥当,还可以抗拒。

He was silent after I had uttered the last sentence, and I presently risked an upward glance at his countenance.

我说了最后一句话后,他沉默了。我立刻大胆地抬头去看他的面容。

无标题.jpg

His eye, bent on me, expressed at once stern surprise and keen inquiry.

他的目光对着我,既表示子惊讶,又露出了急切的探询之情。

"Is she sarcastic, and sarcastic to me!" it seemed to say.

“她可在嘲弄?是嘲弄我吗?”这目光仿佛说。

"What does this signify?"

“那是什么意思呢?”

"Do not let us forget that this is a solemn matter," he said ere long;

“别让我们忘记这是一件严肃的事情,”过了一会儿他说。

"one of which we may neither think nor talk lightly without sin.

“这是一件我们无论轻率地想,还是轻率地谈都不免有罪的事。

I trust, Jane, you are in earnest when you say you will serve your heart to God: it is all I want.

简,我相信你说把心交给上帝的时候,你是真诚的。我就只要你这样。

Once wrench your heart from man, and fix it on your Maker, the advancement of that Maker's spiritual kingdom on earth will be your chief delight and endeavour;

一旦你把心从人那儿掏出来,交给了上帝,那么在世上推进上帝的精神王国会成为你的乐趣和事业。

you will be ready to do at once whatever furthers that end.

凡能推动这一目标的一切,你都准备立即去做。

You will see what impetus would be given to your efforts and mine by our physical and mental union in marriage:

你就会看到我们肉体和精神上的结合,将会对你我的努力有多大的促进!

the only union that gives a character of permanent conformity to the destinies and designs of human beings;

只有这种结合才能给人类的命运和设想以一种永久一致的特性。

and, passing over all minor caprices -- all trivial difficulties and delicacies of feeling --

而且只要你摆脱一切琐细的任性——克服感情上的一切细小障碍和娇气——

all scruple about the degree, kind, strength or tenderness of mere personal inclination -- you will hasten to enter into that union at once."

放弃考虑个人爱好的程度、种类、力量或是柔情——你就会立刻急于要达成这种结合。”

"Shall I?" I said briefly;

“我会吗?”我简短地说。


at his tall, imposing figure and fancied myself in idea his wife,

看着他高大魁梧的身材,想象自己是他的妻子,

and I looked at his features, beautiful in their harmony, but strangely formidable in their still severity;

我瞧着他的五官,它们漂亮匀称,但呆板严肃,出奇地可怕;

at his brow, commanding but not open;

我瞧着他的额头,它威严却并不舒展;

at his eyes, bright and deep and searching, but never soft;

我瞧着他的眼睛,它们明亮、深沉、锐利,却从不温柔;

分享到