经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第627期
日期:2020-07-29 12:05

(单词翻译:单击)

"Let us rest here," said St. John, as we reached the first stragglers of a battalion of rocks,

让我们在这儿歇一下吧,”圣·约翰说,这时我们已来到了一个岩石群的第一批散乱的石头跟前。

guarding a sort of pass, beyond which the beck rushed down a waterfall; and where,

这个岩石群守卫着隘口,一条小溪从隘口的另一头飞流直下,形成了瀑布。

still a little farther, the mountain shook off turf and flower, had only heath for raiment and crag for gem --

再远一点的地方,山峦抖落了身上的草地和花朵,只剩下欧石南蔽体,岩石作珠宝——

where it exaggerated the wild to the savage, and exchanged the fresh for the frowning --

在这里山把荒凉夸大成了蛮荒,用愁眉苦脸来代替精神饱满——

where it guarded the forlorn hope of solitude, and a last refuge for silence.

在这里,山为孤寂守护着无望的希望,为静穆守护着最后的避难所。

I took a seat: St. John stood near me.

我坐了下来,圣·约翰坐在我旁边。

He looked up the pass and down the hollow;

他抬头仰望山隘,又低头俯视空谷。

his glance wandered away with the stream, and returned to traverse the unclouded heaven which coloured it:

他的目光随着溪流飘移,随后又回过来扫过给溪流上了彩的明净的天空。

he removed his hat, let the breeze stir his hair and kiss his brow.

他脱去帽子,让微风吹动头发,吻他的额头。

无标题.jpg

He seemed in communion with the genius of the haunt: with his eye he bade farewell to something.

似乎在与这个他常到之处的守护神在交流,他的眼睛在向某种东西告别。

"And I shall see it again," he said aloud,

“我会再看到它的,”他大声说,

"in dreams when I sleep by the Ganges: and again in a more remote hour --

“在梦中,当我睡在恒河旁边的时候。再有,在更遥远的时刻——

when another slumber overcomes me -- on the shore of a darker stream!"

当我又一次沉沉睡去的时候——在一条更暗淡的小溪的岸边。”

Strange words of a strange love!

离奇的话表达了一种离奇的爱:

An austere patriot's passion for his fatherland!

一个严峻的爱国者对自己祖国的激情!

He sat down; for half-an-hour we never spoke; neither he to me nor I to him: that interval past, he recommenced: --

他坐了下来,我们足足有半小时没有说话,他没有开口,我也没有吱声。这段沉默之后,他开始说了:

"Jane, I go in six weeks;

“简,六周以后我要走了,

I have taken my berth in an East Indiaman which sails on the 20th of June."

我已在‘东印度人’号船里订好了舱位,六月二十日开航。”

"God will protect you; for you have undertaken His work," I answered.

“上帝一定会保护你,因为你做着他的工作,”我回答。

分享到