经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第590期
日期:2020-06-05 07:35

(单词翻译:单击)

"Mary Garrett's mother is better, and Mary came back to the school this morning,

“玛丽.加勒特的母亲好些了,玛丽今天早上到校里来了,

and I shall have four new girls next week from the Foundry Close --

下星期我有四个从铸造场来的新同学——

they would have come to-day but for the snow."

要不是这场雪今天该到了。”

"Indeed!"

“真的?”

"Mr. Oliver pays for two."

“奥利弗先生支付其中两个的学费。”

"Does he?"

“是吗?”

"He means to give the whole school a treat at Christmas."

“他打算在圣诞节请全校的客。”

无标题.jpg

"I know."

“我知道了。”

"Was it your suggestion?"

“是你的建议吗,”

"No."

“不是。”

"Whose, then?"

“那么是谁的?”

"His daughter's, I think."

“他女儿的,我想。”

"It is like her: she is so good-natured."

“是像她建议的,她心地善良。”

"Yes."

“是呀。”

Again came the blank of a pause: the clock struck eight strokes.

谈话停顿了下来,再次出现了空隙。时钟敲了八下。

It aroused him; he uncrossed his legs, sat erect, turned to me.

钟声把他惊醒了,他分开交叉的腿,站直了身子,转向我。

"Leave your book a moment, and come a little nearer the fire," he said.

“把你的书放—会儿吧,过来靠近点火炉”他说。

Wondering, and of my wonder finding no end, I complied.

我有些纳闷,而且是无止境地纳闷,于是也就答应了。

"Half-an-hour ago," he pursued,

“半小时之前,”他接着说,

"I spoke of my impatience to hear the sequel of a tale:

“我曾说起急于听一个故事的续篇。

on reflection, I find the matter will be better managed by my assuming the narrator's part, and converting you into a listener.

后来想了一下,还是让我扮演叙述者的角色,让你转化为听众比较好办。

Before commencing, it is but fair to warn you that the story will sound somewhat hackneyed in your ears;

开场之前,我有言在先,这个故事在你的耳朵听来恐怕有些陈腐,

but stale details often regain a degree of freshness when they pass through new lips.

但是过时的细节从另一张嘴里吐出来,常常又会获得某种程度的新鲜感。

For the rest, whether trite or novel, it is short.

至于别的就不管了,陈腐也好,新鲜也好,反正很短。”

分享到