经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第568期
日期:2020-05-07 13:13

(单词翻译:单击)

CHAPTER XXXII

第三十二章

I CONTINUED the labours of the village-school as actively and faithfully as I could.

我继续为积极办好乡村学校尽心尽力。

It was truly hard work at first.

起初确实困难重重。

Some time elapsed before, with all my efforts, I could comprehend my scholars and their nature.

尽管我使出浑身解数,还是过了一段时间才了解我的学生和她们的天性。

Wholly untaught, with faculties quite torpid, they seemed to me hopelessly dull;

她们完全没有受过教育,官能都很迟钝,使我觉得这些人笨得无可救药。

and, at first sight, all dull alike: but I soon found I was mistaken.

粗粗一看,个个都是呆头呆脑的,但不久我便发现自己错了。

timg (2).jpg

There was a difference amongst them as amongst the educated;

就像受过教育的人之间是有区别的一样,她们之间也有区别。

and when I got to know them, and they know me, this difference rapidly developed itself.

我了解她们,她们也了解我之后,这种区别很快便不知不觉地扩大了。

Their amazement at me, my language, my rules, and ways, once subsided,

一旦她们对我的语言、习惯和生活方式不再感到惊讶,

I found some of these heavy-looking, gaping rustics wake up into sharp-witted girls enough.

我便发现一些神态呆滞、目光迟钝的乡巴佬,蜕变成了头脑机灵的姑娘。

Many showed themselves obliging, and amiable too;

很多人亲切可爱很有礼貌。

and I discovered amongst them not a few examples of natural politeness, and innate self-respect,

我发现她们中间不少人天性就懂礼貌,自尊自爱,

as well as of excellent capacity, that won both my goodwill and my admiration.

很有能力,赢得了我的好感和敬佩。

These soon took a pleasure in doing their work well, in keeping their persons neat,

这些人不久便很乐意把工作做好,保持自身整洁,

in learning their tasks regularly, in acquiring quiet and orderly manners.

按时做功课,养成斯斯文文有条有理的习惯。

The rapidity of their progress, in some instances, was even surprising;

在某些方面,她们进步之快甚至令人吃惊,

and an honest and happy pride I took in it:

我真诚愉快地为此感到骄傲。

besides, I began personally to like some of the best girls; and they liked me.

另外,我本人也开始喜欢上几位最好的姑娘,她们也喜欢我。

分享到