经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第551期
日期:2020-04-10 11:05

(单词翻译:单击)

"I was speaking of myself."

“我在说我自己。”

"Well, if you are not ambitious, you are" ---- He paused.

“嗯,要是你并不雄心勃勃,那你是——”他打住了。

"What?"

“是什么呢?”

"I was going to say, impassioned: but perhaps you would have misunderstood the word, and been displeased.

“我正要说多情,但也许你会误解这个字,而会不高兴。

I mean, that human affections and sympathies have a most powerful hold on you.

我的意思是,人类的爱心和同情心在你的身上表现得很强烈。

I am sure you cannot long be content to pass your leisure in solitude,

我确信你不会长期满足于在孤寂中度过闲暇,

and to devote your working hours to a monotonous labour who lly void of stimulus:

把你的工作时间用于一项完全没有刺激的单调劳动,”

any more than I can be content," he added, with emphasis,

他又强调着补充说,

"to live here buried in morass, pent in with mountains -- my nature, that God gave me, contravened;

“就象我不会满足于住在这里,埋没在沼泽地里,封闭在大山之中—一上帝赐予我的天性与此格格不入,

my faculties, heaven-bestowed, paralysed -- made useless.

上天所赋予的才能会被断送——会弄得.一无用处。

You hear now how I contradict myself.

这会儿你听见了我如何自相矛盾了吧。

I, who preached contentment with a humble lot, and justified the vocation even of hewers of wood and drawers of water in God's service --

我自己讲道时说要安于自己卑贱的命运,只要为上帝效劳,即使当砍柴工和汲水人也心甘情愿一一

I, His ordained minister, almost rave in my restlessness.

而我,上帝所任命的牧师,几乎是焦躁不安地咆哮着。

timg (3).jpg

Well, propensities and principles must be reconciled by some means."

哎呀,爱好与原则总得想个办法统一起来。”

He left the room.

他走出了房间。

In this brief hour I had learnt more of him than in the whole previous month: yet still he puzzled me.

短短的一小时之内,我对他的了解胜过于以前的一个月。不过他仍使我无法理解。

Diana and Mary Rivers became more sad and silent as the day approached for leaving their brother and their home.

随着同哥哥和家园告别的日子越来越近,黛安娜和玛丽.里弗斯也越来越伤心,越来越沉默了。

They both tried to appear as usual;

她们都想装得同往常一样,

bat the sorrow they had to struggle against was one that could not be entirely conquered or concealed.

但是她们所要驱除的忧愁是无法完全克制或是掩饰的。

Diana intimated that this would be a different parting from any they had ever yet known.

黛娜说,这次离别与以往所经历的完全不同。

It would probably, as far as St. John was concerned, be a parting for years: it might be a parting for life.

就圣·约翰来说,那可能是一去几年,也可能是一辈子。

分享到