(单词翻译:单击)
"Do you think the dean could have been blackmailing Professor Marcelo?" I asked.
“你认为院长会勒索马塞洛教授吗?”我问 。
"I was wondering the same thing," he said.
“我也在想同样的事情,”杰夫叔叔说 。
"If he was just bothering her, maybe she could ignore it.
“如果院长只是在打扰她,也许马塞洛教授可以不用理会 。
But if he was blackmailing her, that might explain why she went to his office two weeks ago and left so angrily.
但如果他是在敲诈她,这或许可以解释为什么两周前马塞洛教授去了他的办公室,然后愤然离去 。
We're just guessing, but it's a possibility."
这只是我们的猜测,但这是有可能的 。”
"Do you think her husband may have had something to do with it?" I asked.
“你认为她的丈夫可能和这件事有关吗?”我问 。
"It's hard to say," he said. "I don't think we can rule out Emil Marcelo.
“这很难说,”杰夫叔叔说 。“我认为我们不能排除埃米尔·马塞洛 。
We only have Diana Marcelo's word that her husband wasn't angry anymore about their affair.
我们只是从戴安娜·马塞洛那里听说她丈夫不再对他们的事情生气了 。
Even if he was, he may have had reason to kill Alan Maurie if he were blackmailing them.
即使她的丈夫不生气,如果院长勒索他们,他也有理由杀死毛里院长 。
It's possible that he traveled back from Denver without anyone knowing."
他有可能在没有人知道的情况下从丹佛回来 。”
"That's two suspects so far," I said.
“到目前为止有两个嫌疑人,”我说 。
"Right. Now we come to Clara Dunn and Jennifer Brody," he said.
“好,现在我们来谈谈克拉拉·邓恩和詹妮弗·布罗迪 。”杰夫叔叔说 。
"Not Jennifer!" I said. "I can't believe she could have done it."
“不是珍妮弗!”我说 。“我真不敢相信她会做这件事 。”
Uncle Jeff gave me a look of pity. "You just heard her motive," he said.
杰夫叔叔同情地看了我一眼 。“你刚才听到了她的动机,”杰夫叔叔说 。
"Alan Maurie was blackmailing her with those photos.
“毛里院长用那些照片勒索她,
She was also in the right place at the right time.
她有作案的时间和地点 。