TED十佳演讲之身体语言 改变荒漠现状,扭转气候变化(4)
日期:2018-10-03 10:50

(单词翻译:单击)

演讲文本

Clearly, we have never understood what is causing desertification, which has destroyed many civilizations and now threatens us globally.
显然,我们从未明白什么导致了荒漠化,这种荒漠化已经毁掉了很多的文明社会,而现在对我们的威胁是全球性的。
We have never understood it. Take one square meter of soil and make it bare like this is down here,
我们从来都没有搞清楚过。像这样一平方米的土壤表面像下面这样程度的裸露着,
and I promise you, you will find it much colder at dawn and much hotter at midday than that same piece of ground if it's just covered with litter, plant litter.
我敢说,它会比被植被覆盖的地方,同样的大的地方,黎明的时候会冷得多,中午时会热得多。
You have changed the microclimate.
你已经改变了这个地方的微气候。
Now, by the time you are doing that and increasing greatly the percentage of bare ground on more than half the world's land, you are changing macroclimate.
现在,就像你刚才做的那样,如果世界上裸露的土地的面积快速的增长到超过了世界土地一半以上的面积,大气候就被我们改变了。
But we have just simply not understood why was it beginning to happen 10,000 years ago?
但是我们还是无法理解为什么这个过程一万年前就开始了?
Why has it accelerated lately? We had no understanding of that.
又为什么最近加快了?我们对此无法理解。

改变荒漠现状,扭转气候变化.png


What we had failed to understand was that these seasonal humidity environments of the world,
我们过去不了解的是,世界上这些季节性雨水充沛的环境中,
the soil and the vegetation developed with very large numbers of grazing animals,
伴随着植被的蓬勃生长,
and that these grazing animals developed with ferocious pack-hunting predators.
数量可观的游牧食草动物也随之而来,而这些游牧的动物又引来了凶猛的猎食者。
Now, the main defense against pack-hunting predators is to get into herds,
游牧动物防御捕食者的主要方法是群居生活,
and the larger the herd, the safer the individuals.
兽群越大,个体就越安全。
Now, large herds dung and urinate all over their own food,
大量的兽群在自己的食物上大小便,
and they have to keep moving, and it was that movement that prevented the overgrazing of plants,
而它们又必须不断的迁移,这些迁移过程防止了过渡放牧的现象,
while the periodic trampling ensured good cover of the soil, as we see where a herd has passed.
同时定期的踩踏土壤,正如这群动物路过时发生的那样,确保了土壤表面得到了很好的覆盖。

视频及简介

演讲简介
对于正在沦为沙漠的土地而言,荒漠化这个术语不过是个好听点儿的说法罢了。Allan Savory在这个充满力量的演讲开头这样说。而令人吃惊的是,荒漠化正吞噬着全球大约三分之二的草地,它加速了气候变化,并导致一些传统的放牧社会出现混乱。Savory一生都在致力于和荒漠化的抗衡。如今他坚信----他的工作成果也表明----有一个惊人的因素能够保护草地,并使那些昔日贫瘠的土地重现生机。


分享到
重点单词
  • defensen. 防卫,防卫物,辩护 vt. 防守
  • desertificationn. (土壤)荒漠化;沙漠化(等于desertizati
  • herdn. 兽群,人群,牧人 vt. 群集,使 ... 成群,
  • humidityn. 湿度,湿气
  • understandvt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为
  • grazingn. 牧草;放牧 v. 擦过;抓伤(graze的现在分词
  • movementn. 活动,运动,移动,[音]乐章
  • savoryadj. 可口的;风味极佳的;味美的 n. 开胃菜;[植
  • periodicadj. 周期的,定期的,间歇的,完句的