(单词翻译:单击)
中英文本
I am an addict
我是一名吸毒者
BY JOHN
文/约翰
JOHN, lower left, 49, preparing to inject in the bathroom of a restaurant in Boston on Jan. 12.
约翰,左下,49岁,照片拍摄于1月12日,他正躲在波士顿的一家餐馆的洗手间准备注射毒品 。
I HAD A CAREER IN SALES IN THE AUTOMOBILE business.
我本来在汽车行业做销售 。
I was making a lot of money, upwards of a $100,000 a year.
挣的钱还不少,一年能挣10多万 。
I always messed around with, you know, drinking, pot, but it never truly affected me.
我一直都在瞎混,酗酒,抽大麻,你懂的,但它从未真正影响过我 。
Then I started up with the OxyContins.
我的毒瘾是从吃止痛药开始的 。
Opiates are a whole different ball game.
阿片类止痛药的游戏规则完全不一样 。
You don't really get hung over from them.
你并不会真正被困扰 。
It's an amazing feeling, that warm hug from Jesus.
那是一种神奇的感觉,就像来自上帝的温暖拥抱 。
It started as a once-in-a-while thing.
一开始我也只是偶尔抽一抽 。
But I began telling myself, "Well, if I can feel this good on Friday and Saturday, why shouldn't I feel this good on Tuesday and Wednesday?"
后来我就想,“好吧,既然星期五星期六可以感觉这么爽,那干嘛不周二周三也爽一下?”
And then the price started going up, and all of a sudden they're $80 a pill.
后来毒品的价格开始上涨了,一夜之间就涨到了80美元一片 。
At this point, I've got a six- or sevenpills- a-day habit.
这个时候,我已经养成了每天都要吃六到七片的习惯了 。
I wouldn't get out of bed without one.
不吃上一片我连床都不会起 。
I always knew about heroin, but it was a line I didn't want to cross.
我一直都知道海洛因这个东西,只不过过去我不想越界 。
But, you know, the ship had already sailed.
但是,你懂的,开弓就没有回头箭的 。
An opiate's an opiate's an opiate.
阿片类药物就是阿片类药物 。
The heroin was so much cheaper.
毕竟海洛因便宜得多 。
I started shooting it, and it's been like that for probably 15 years.
我也就开始注射海洛因了,这一注射就是将近15年 。
When you're dope sick, like bad, you're not making your own decisions no more.
但如果你毒瘾上来了,而且很厉害的话,你就不能自主了 。
Your decisions are made for you.
你的决定毒品已经给你做好了 。
They say it's like a bad flu.
他们说毒瘾就像一场严重的流感 。
But it's so much worse than that.
实际上要比流感厉害得多 。
You get achy bones, zero energy, intestines are all roughed up, you're throwing up out of both ends.
你的骨头会很痛,你会丧失所有的精力,肠子搅在一起,还会上吐下泻 。
And the buildup to how sick you're going to get and how shitty you're going to feel makes the anxiety, like, through the roof.
而且,身体变虚同时感觉越来越难受的过程会让你焦躁得暴跳如雷 。
I'm not trying to die, contrary to people's belief.
我并不会想大家以为的那样寻死 。
I'm not trying to kill myself.
我不会想办法自杀 。
I'm just an addict.
因为我只是对毒品上瘾而已 。
译文由可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载 。
重点讲解
1. upwards of 超过
Upwards of 30,000 spectators filled the ballpark.
棒球场上坐满了三万多名观众 。
2. mess around with 瞎混
Quit messing around with the dog and work on your book report already, Scotty!
斯科蒂,别和狗狗瞎闹了,还不快写你的读书报告!
3. start up with 从……开始
We start up with the mid- pool somersault. You lay flat and look how my body is in a flat position .
我们先从泳池中间的前滚翻开始,你平卧着,注意我的身体如何平卧的 。
4. through the roof 大幅飙升
The mining industry has definitely experienced a demand shock, and prices, in nominal terms at least, are through the roof.
采矿业无疑经历了一次需求冲击,价格(至少是名义价格)大幅飙升 。