(单词翻译:单击)
中英文本
Kate Upton shines a light on fashion's biggest problem with her #MeToo story
凯特·阿普顿用她被性骚扰的亲身经历为我们讲述时尚圈最大的问题
By Eliana Dockterman
作者:依莲娜·多克特尔曼
IT BEGAN WITH A TWEET.ON JAN.31, SUPERMODEL KATE Upton wrote,
一切还要从1月31日的一条推文说起,超模凯特·阿普顿在推文中写道,
"It's disappointing that such an iconic women's brand @Guess is still empowering Paul Marciano as their creative director #metoo."
“#metoo Guess这样的女性大牌竟然还在聘保罗·马西亚诺当他们的创意总监,实在是令人失望 。”
In an interview with TIME, Upton detailed her claims against Marciano, co-founder and former CEO of Guess,
在接受本刊采访时,阿普顿详细说明了她对Guess联合创始人兼前CEO马西亚诺的控诉,
who she says assaulted and began harassing her during her first professional modeling campaign when she was 18.
她说,自己18岁首次走秀时马西亚诺就开始袭击她,骚扰她了 。
Harassment has plagued the fashion industry for decades, but allegations have often been ignored.
数十年来,性骚扰问题一直困扰着时尚界,然而,这方面的指控始终没有得到重视 。
Many models work as independent contractors and have few legal protections;
许多模特签的都是独立合同,几乎得不到法律的保护;
last month lawmakers introduced a bill in New York that would hold designers, retailers and agencies accountable for abuses.
上个月,国会议员在纽约推出了一项新法案,胡作非为的设计师、零售商和代理商将会被追究责任 。
In a statement to TIME, Marciano called the accusations "absolutely false" and "preposterous."
在给本刊的一份声明中,马西亚诺称这些指控“全都是假的”,“简直荒谬可笑” 。
I have never been alone with Kate Upton, he said. "I have never touched her inappropriately.
“我从未和凯特·安普顿单独相处过,”他说 。 “我从来没有对她有过任何不当触碰 。
Nor would I ever refer to a Guess model in such a derogatory manner."
我也不会这样贬损Guess的模特 。”
A representative for Guess declined to comment.
Guess某代表拒绝发表评论 。
Photographer Yu Tsai says he witnessed the harassment Upton describes and corroborated details of her allegations.
摄影师蔡羽说他亲眼目睹了安普顿所说的的骚扰,他也证实了她指控的细节 。
What happened with Paul Marciano?
和保罗·马西亚诺之间到底是怎么回事呢?
After the first day of shooting the Guess Lingerie campaign in 2010, Paul Marciano said he wanted to meet with me.
2010年拍完Guess内衣秀首日活动之后,保罗·马西亚诺说他想和我见个面 。
As soon as I walked in with photographer Yu Tsai,
我和摄影师蔡羽一进去,
Paul came straight up to me, forcibly grabbed my breasts and started feeling them—playing with them actually.
保罗就立刻朝我走过来,强行抓住我的胸,开始摸我的胸——准确地说是玩弄 。
After I pushed him away, he said, "I'm making sure they're real."
我把他推开之后,他说,“我只是确认一下它们是不是真的啊 。”
Despite doing everything I could physically do to avoid his touch throughout the meeting,
在整个见面过程中,尽管我已经拼尽全力躲开他的触摸了,
he continued to touch me in a very dominating and aggressive way, grabbing my thighs, my arms to pull me closer,
他还是非常强硬,非常蛮横地摸我,抓着我的大腿,我的手臂把我往他那边拉,
my shoulders to pull me closer, my neck, my breasts, and smelling me.
抓我的肩膀,搂我的脖子,我的胸把我往他那边拽,还凑到我身上闻来闻去 。
He then told Yu Tsai to leave us alone.
接着他又让蔡羽走开,好单独和我相处 。
I was able to send a quick text to Yu Tsai asking him to stay.
我连忙快速地示意蔡羽不要走 。
He did, but that did not stop Paul's constant grabbing.
他留下来了,但那也没能阻止保罗继续不断地抓我 。
I was extremely shaken, surprised and scared.
我当时无比震惊也无比害怕,当时整个人都在发抖 。
At one point he forcibly grabbed the back of my head so that I could not move and started kissing my face and my neck.
中间他还用力抓着我的后脑勺,这样他强吻我的脸我的脖子的时候我就无法动弹了 。
I remember not wanting to say "Get off of me" because I didn't want to open my mouth to say anything
我记得,当时我连“放开我”都不想说了,因为我不想张开嘴说一句话,
because I didn't want him to be able to put his tongue in my mouth.
因为我不想让他把他的舌头伸进我的嘴里 。
I had two options: do everything I could to wiggle away and avoid his pursuit, or punch the CEO of Guess.
当时我有两个选择:尽我所能摆脱并避开他的攻势,或者给这位Guess的CEO两拳 。
So I decided to just wiggle away.
最后我选择了避开 。
Then Paul insisted that he walk me up to my hotel room.
后来,保罗坚持要陪我走回我宾馆的房间 。
I immediately declined.
我立刻拒绝了 。
The only thing I was thinking is, If he touches me like that in public, I can't imagine what he'd try to do in private.
我当时唯一的念头就是,他在公共场合都敢那样摸我,简直不敢想象私下里他还会做出什么样的行为 。
Thankfully, Yu Tsai stepped in and insisted he'd do it.
值得庆幸的是,蔡羽终于插手进来了,坚持他送我回去 。
I was so relieved and felt like I had barely escaped.
我当时长吁了一口气,感觉自己仿佛逃过了一截 。
重点讲解
1. shine a light on 揭露
It also shined a light on the failure, thus far, of politicians to take any steps to deal with the across-the-board upheaval in employment.
这次抗议也揭露了政界的失败:迄今为止,他们未能采取任何措施来应对就业领域全方位动荡的局面 。
2. in such a adj. manner 用如此……的方式
How dare you to speak to your father in such a rude manner!
你竟然用那样粗暴的态度对你父亲讲话!
3. hold sb. accountable for 认为……应该对……负责
I think in the long run nobody can be held accountable for your life. Only you can.
我认为从长期来看,没有人应该为你的生活负责,只有你自己能对自己负责 。
4. step in 插手
Some non-profits are trying to step in and encourage people not to abandon their furry friends at shelters in the first place.
一些非营利组织试着插手进来,鼓励人们不要一开始就遗弃他们毛绒绒的朋友 。