TED十佳演讲之入门 我们需要谈谈不公(1)
日期:2017-11-21 11:45

(单词翻译:单击)

演讲文本

Well this is a really extraordinary honor for me.
很荣幸来到这里。
I spend most of my time in jails, in prisons, on death row.
我大多数时候都在管教所,在监狱里,在死囚室中。
I spend most of my time in very low-income communities in the projects and places where there's a great deal of hopelessness.
大部分时间我在低收入的社区里工作,在充满绝望的地区,做前途暗淡的项目。
And being here at TED and seeing the stimulation, hearing it, has been very, very energizing to me.
今天来到TED,看到听到这些激动人心的演讲,给了我一针强心剂。
And one of the things that's emerged in my short time here is that TED has an identity.
在这短短的时间里,我注意到TED有自己的定位。
And you can actually say things here that have impacts around the world.
你可以看到这里发生的事情影响全世界。
And sometimes when it comes through TED, it has meaning and power that it doesn't have when it doesn't.
有时当事情发生在TED的讲台上,比发生在别处更有意义,更有影响。
And I mention that because I think identity is really important.
我提起这个是因为我觉得自我定位很重要。
And we've had some fantastic presentations.
我们已经听了一些精彩的演说。
And I think what we've learned is that, if you're a teacher your words can be meaningful,
我们已经体会到作为一个老师,你的话是有影响力的,
but if you're a compassionate teacher, they can be especially meaningful.
如果你是个很慈善的老师,你的教导就格外意味深长。

我们需要谈谈不公

If you're a doctor you can do some good things, but if you're a caring doctor you can do some other things.
作为一个医生,你能够帮助人,如果你是个体恤病人的医生,你能帮助更多。
And so I want to talk about the power of identity.
所以我想讲讲定位的重要性。
And I didn't learn about this actually practicing law and doing the work that I do.
我不是从做律师或者做其他项目学到怎样自我定位的。
I actually learned about this from my grandmother.
我其实是从我外婆那里学到的。
I grew up in a house that was the traditional African-American home that was dominated by a matriarch, and that matriarch was my grandmother.
我的家庭是一个传统的黑人家庭,只有一个女家长,就是我的外婆。
She was tough, she was strong, she was powerful. She was the end of every argument in our family.
她很坚韧,也很强壮,威风凛凛。家里有争执,她有决定权。
She was the beginning of a lot of arguments in our family.
不过很多事儿也是她挑起来的。
She was the daughter of people who were actually enslaved.
她的父母曾是真正的黑奴。
Her parents were born in slavery in Virginia in the 1840's.
在19世纪40年代的弗吉尼亚州,她的父母生而为奴。
She was born in the 1880's and the experience of slavery very much shaped the way she saw the world.
我外婆是十九世纪八十年代生的,这段父母被奴役的经历决定了她看世界的角度。

视频及简介

演讲简介

在这个演讲里,人权律师布莱恩·史蒂文森通过讲述他与其外婆以及与帕克斯夫人之间的故事,告诉了大家一些美国司法系统中的骇人真相。演讲从讲述大规模的的种族不平等待遇开始:三分之一美国黑人男性有被监禁的经历。这些问题源于美国一段不被重视的历史,它们从未像今天这样被坦诚地,有洞察力地和有说服力地公开讨论过。


分享到