当我们为残障人士作出设计时 我们都会获益
日期:2017-10-29 13:34

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I'll never forget the sound of laughing with my friends.
我永远都不会忘记我和朋友一起大笑的声音。
I'll never forget the sound of my mother's voice right before I fell asleep.
我永远都不会忘记在我刚要入睡前妈妈的声音。
And I'll never forget the comforting sound of water trickling down a stream.
我也永远都不会忘记那顺着小溪流下的悦耳的水声。
Imagine my fear, pure fear, when, at the age of 10, I was told I was going to lose my hearing.
想象一下我的恐惧,十足的恐惧,当我十岁的时候,我被告知我将会失去听觉。
And over the next five years, it progressed until I was classified as profoundly deaf.
在接下来的五年里,情况不断恶化,直到我被确诊为完全丧失听觉。
But I believe that losing my hearing was one of the greatest gifts I've ever received.
但是我认为失去听觉是我所收到过最好的礼物之一。
You see, I get to experience the world in a unique way.
要知道,我能够用一种独特的方式来感受世界。
And I believe that these unique experiences that people with disabilities have
我相信这些残障人士拥有的独特经历,
is what's going to help us make and design a better world for everyone -- both for people with and without disabilities.
可以帮助我们为每一个残障人士和健全人士。建造并设计一个更好的世界。
I used to be a disability rights lawyer,
我曾经是一位残障人士维权律师,
and I spent a lot of my time focused on enforcing the law, ensuring that accommodations were made.
长时间专注于执法工作,确保残障人士的需要得到满足。
And then I had to quickly learn international policy,
然后我必须很快学会国际政策,
because I was asked to work on the UN Convention that protects people with disabilities.
因为我受邀从事《联合国残障人士保护公约》的工作。
As the leader of the NGO there, I spent most of my energy trying to convince people about the capabilities of people with disabilities.
作为非政府组织的领导,我用了大部分的精力让人们认同残障人士的能力。
But somewhere along the way, and after many career transitions that my parents weren't so happy about...
但这一路下来,我换了很多不同的工作,我的爸妈对此并不太开心...
I stumbled upon a solution that I believe may be an even more powerful tool to solve some of the world's greatest problems, disability or not.
我无意中找到了答案,我认为它可以成为更强大的工具,来解决一些世界上最困难的问题,不论是否残疾。
And that tool is called design thinking.
那个工具叫作设计思考。
Design thinking is a process for innovation and problem solving. There are five steps.
设计思考是一个创新并解决问题的过程。它有五个步骤。
The first is defining the problem and understanding its constraints.
第一步是确定问题并了解它的局限。
The second is observing people in real-life situations and empathizing with them.
第二步是观察人们在真实生活中的情况,并感同身受他们的处境。
Third, throwing out hundreds of ideas -- the more the better, the wilder the better.
第三,激荡出各种想法--越多越好,越疯狂越好。
Fourth, prototyping: gathering whatever you can, whatever you can find, to mimic your solution, to test it and to refine it.
第四,蓝图测试:尽可能收集你能找到的方案去模拟、测试并作改善。
And finally, implementation: ensuring that the solution you came up with is sustainable.
最后,执行:确保你提出的解决方案是持续可行的。
Warren Berger says that design thinking teaches us to look sideways,
沃伦·贝格尔说设计思考教会我们从侧面看待问题,
to reframe, to refine, to experiment and, probably most importantly, ask those stupid questions.
重塑、完善、实验,也许最重要的是要学会问蠢问题。
Design thinkers believe that everyone is creative.
设计思考者相信每个人都有创造力。
They believe in bringing people from multiple disciplines together,
他们愿意把众多领域的人聚集到一起,
because they want to share multiple perspectives and bring them together and ultimately merge them to form something new.
因为他们想要分享不同的视角把它们汇集到一起,最终融合在一起,形成一种新的东西。
Design thinking is such a successful and versatile tool that it has been applied in almost every industry.
设计思考是一种成功的多功能工具,它几乎已经被应用到各个行业。
I saw the potential that it had for the issues I faced, so I decided to go back to school and get my master's in social design.
我意识到它具有能解决我所面临的问题的潜力,所以我决定回到学校,然后拿到我的社会化设计硕士学历。
This looks at how to use design to create positive change in the world.
那个学位着重在如何运用设计来创造世界上积极的改变。
While I was there, I fell in love with woodworking. But what I quickly realized was that I was missing out on something.
当我在那儿的时候,我爱上了木工艺术。但是我很快意识到我欠缺了一些能力。
As you're working with a tool, right before it's about to kick back at you
就是当你在使用一个工具的时候,在它踫到你之前,
which means the piece or the tool jumps back at you -- it makes a sound.
就是当木材或工具卡住,跳起来打到你之前,它会发出声音。
And I couldn't hear this sound. So I decided, why not try and solve it?
但我听不到这个声音,所以我决定,为什么不试着解决这个问题呢?
My solution was a pair of safety glasses that were engineered to visually alert the user to pitch changes in the tool,
我的解决方法是一副安全眼镜,它在工具产生高音变化时会用视觉提示的方式来警告使用者,
before the human ear could pick it up. Why hadn't tool designers thought of this before?
让使用者在听到之前就能觉察到。为什么工具设计者在这之前没有想到呢?
Two reasons: one, I was a beginner. I wasn't weighed down by expertise or conventional wisdom.
两个原因:第一,我是一位初学者。我没有被专长或者传统观念影响。
The second is: I was Deaf. My unique experience of the world helped inform my solution.
第二:我是一位耳聋的人。我在这个世界上的特殊经历帮助我想出了解决办法。
And as I went on, I kept running into more and more solutions that were originally made for people with disabilities,
随着我继续工作,我不断地想出越来越多的方案,最初为残障人士提出的,
and that ended up being picked up, embraced and loved by the mainstream, disability or not.
最后受到主流大众的拥戴和喜爱,不论是否残疾。
This is an OXO potato peeler.
这是一个OXO马铃薯削皮器。
It was originally designed for people with arthritis, but it was so comfortable, everybody loved it.
它最初是为有关节炎的人设计的,但是它用起来很舒服,所有人都喜欢它。
Text messaging: that was originally designed for people who are Deaf. And as you know, everybody loves that, too.
发文字信息:最初是为耳聋的人设计的,如你所知,所有人也都很喜欢它。
I started thinking: What if we changed our mindset? What if we started designing for disability first -- not the norm?
我开始想:如果我们改变我们的观念模式会怎么样呢?如果我们首先为残障人士设计而不是正常人,会怎么样呢?
As you see, when we design for disability first, we often stumble upon solutions that are not only inclusive,
正如你所看到的,当我们首先为残障人士设计时,我们经常会意外想到一些解决方案,不仅适用于所有人,
but also are often better than when we design for the norm.
而且通常比我们为正常人设计时所得到的产品更好。
And this excites me, because this means that the energy it takes to accommodate someone with a disability can be leveraged,
这让我备受鼓舞,因为这意味着用来接纳一位残障人士的精力可以被利用、
molded and played with as a force for creativity and innovation.
被塑造、被接纳,作为一种创造和革新的动力。

当我们为残障人士作出设计时 我们都会获益

This moves us from the mindset of trying to change the hearts and the deficiency mindset of tolerance,
这让我们从试着改变内心的观念模式和缺少包容的观念模式,
to becoming an alchemist, the type of magician that this world so desperately needs to solve some of its greatest problems.
变为一个点石成金的人,这也是目前这个世界迫切需要的人才,他们是可以帮我们解决最困难问题的魔术师。
Now, I also believe that people with disabilities have great potential to be designers within this design-thinking process.
现在,在这个设计与思考的过程中,我也相信残障人士有成为设计师的巨大潜能。
Without knowing it, from a very early age, I've been a design thinker, fine-tuning my skills.
我根本不知道,我从很小的时候就已经是一位不断地在磨练自己技能的设计思考者。
Design thinkers are, by nature, problem solvers.
设计思考者天生就是问题解决者。
So imagine listening to a conversation and only understanding 50 percent of what is said.
想象一下,你正在聆听一段对话,而你只能理解50%的内容。
You can't ask them to repeat every single word. They would just get frustrated with you.
你不能要求他们重复每一个单词。否则他们会对你感到不耐烦。
So without even realizing it, my solution was to take the muffled sound I heard, that was the beat,
所以在听不懂的情况下,我的解决办法是记住那个我听到的细小的声音,也就是说话的节奏,
and turn it into a rhythm and place it with the lips I read.
把它变成一种韵律,然后和我看到的唇形匹配。
Years later, someone commented that my writing had a rhythm to it.
很多年以后,有人评论道,我的写作中包含着一种韵律。
Well, this is because I experience conversations as rhythms. I also became really, really good at failing.
嗯,那是因为我是用韵律在体会对话。我也变得很擅长不及格。
Quite literally. My first semester in Spanish, I got a D.
真的是这样的。我第一学期的西班牙语课成绩是D。
But what I learned was that when I picked myself up and changed a few things around, eventually, I succeeded.
但是我学到的是,当我鼓励自己并重新调整过后,最后还是可以成功的。
Similarly, design thinking encourages people to fail and fail often, because eventually, you will succeed.
同样地,设计思考鼓励人们失败,并且经常失败,因为最终你会成功的。
Very few great innovations in this world have come from someone succeeding on the first try.
世上很少有伟大的发明创新第一次就能成功。
I also experienced this lesson in sports.
我也在体育运动中学到了这个教训。
I'll never forget my coach saying to my mom, "If she just didn't have her hearing loss, she would be on the national team."
我永远都不会忘记我的教练对我妈妈说,“如果她没有失去听觉的话,她将会入选国家队。”
But what my coach, and what I didn't even know at the time, was that my hearing loss actually helped me excel at sports.
但是我和我的教练在那个时候不知道的是,其实我失去听力,反倒帮助我擅长于运动。
You see, when you lose your hearing, not only do you adapt your behavior, but you also adapt your physical senses.
要知道,当你失去听觉的时候,你不单要调适你的行为,你也要调适你的感官。
One example of this is that my visual attention span increased.
举个例子,我的视觉专注范围增加了。
Imagine a soccer player, coming down the left flank.
想象一名足球运动员,从左侧跑过来。
Imagine being goalkeeper, like I was, and the ball is coming down the left flank.
想象自己是一名守门员,像我一样,那个球正从左侧过来。
A person with normal hearing would have the visual perspective of this. I had the benefit of a spectrum this wide.
一个有听觉的正常人会有这样的视觉视角。我享有这么宽的视野范围。
So I picked up the players over here, that were moving about and coming down the field.
所以我可以注意到那边的球员,正在移动并且沿着场地跑过来。
And I picked them up quicker, so that if the ball was passed, I could reposition myself and be ready for that shot.
我可以比较快注意到他们,所以一旦传球,我能改变自己的位置并准备好阻挡那个射门。
So as you can see, I've been a design thinker for nearly all my life.
正如你所看到的,我几乎一生都是一名设计思考者。
My observation skills have been honed so that I pick up on things that others would never pick up on.
我的观察力经年累月地磨练,能觉察其他人未能发现的事情。
My constant need to adapt has made me a great ideator and problem solver.
我持续适应环境的需要,让我成为足智多谋的人和解决问题的专家。
And I've often had to do this within limitations and constraints.
我常常需要在有限的条件下解决问题。
This is something that designers also have to deal with frequently.
这也是设计者经常需要面对的。
My work most recently took me to Haiti.
我最近期的工作让我去了海地。
Design thinkers often seek out extreme situations, because that often informs some of their best designs.
设计思考者经常寻找极端的情况,因为那些情况会让他们想到一些他们最好的设计。
And Haiti -- it was like a perfect storm.
海地--像是一场完美的风暴。
I lived and worked with 300 Deaf individuals that were relocated after the 2010 earthquake.
我住在那里工作,和300名在2010年地震后被重新安顿的听障人士一起。
But five and a half years later, there still was no electricity; there still was no safe drinking water;
但是五年半以后,那里还是没有电;没有安全的饮用水;
there were still no job opportunities; there was still rampant crime, and it went unpunished.
没有工作机会;却有猖獗的犯罪行为,并且不会受到惩罚。
International aid organizations came one by one. But they came with pre-determined solutions.
国际救援组织一一到来。但是他们带着事先决定好的方案而来。
They didn't come ready to observe and to adapt based on the community's needs.
他们没有准备来观察并且根据社区的需求而改变。
One organization gave them goats and chickens.
一个组织给了他们山羊和鸡。
But they didn't realize that there was so much hunger in that community,
但是他们没有意识到,在那个社区中,饥饿程度太严重了,
that when the Deaf went to sleep at night and couldn't hear,
当耳聋的人晚上睡觉并听不见声音的时候,
people broke into their yards and their homes and stole these chickens and goats, and eventually they were all gone.
人们闯入他们的院子和家里,然后偷走那些鸡和山羊。最终它们都被偷走了。
Now, if that organization had taken the time to observe Deaf people, to observe the community,
那时,如果那个组织花时间观察耳聋的人,观察他们的社区,
they would have realized their problem and perhaps they would have come up with a solution, something like a solar light,
他们会意识到他们的问题,可能他们会想到解决办法,比如像太阳光一样的东西,
lighting up a secure pen to put them in at night to ensure their safety.
点亮一个安全的畜栏,然后晚上把动物放进去来保证它们的安全。
You don't have to be a design thinker to insert the ideas I've shared with you today.
你不需要成为一名设计思考者才能实践我今天与你分享的想法。
You are creative. You are a designer -- everyone is.
你是有创造力的。你是一名设计者--每个人都是。
Let people like me help you. Let people with disabilities help you look sideways,
请让像我一样的人来帮助你。请让残障人士帮助你从侧面看待问题,
and in the process, solve some of the greatest problems. That's it. Thank you.
并在这个过程中,解决一些最困难的问题。就是这样。谢谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • solvev. 解决,解答
  • perspectiven. 远景,看法,透视 adj. 透视的
  • muffledadj. 听不清的;蒙住的 v. 裹住;蒙住…的头;捂住
  • alertadj. 警觉的,灵敏的 n. 警戒,警报 vt. 警惕
  • multipleadj. 许多,多种多样的 n. 倍数,并联
  • conventionn. 大会,协定,惯例,公约
  • informv. 通知,告诉,向 ... 报告,告发
  • secureadj. 安全的,牢靠的,稳妥的 vt. 固定,获得,使
  • deficiencyn. 缺乏,不足,缺点
  • coachn. 大巴,教练;(火车)客车车厢,四轮马车,经济舱 v