给再从业者的一些建议
日期:2017-06-11 12:35

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

People returning to work after a career break: I call them "relauncher
我们将那些休息了很长一段时间又重新投入到工作中的人称为 “再从业者”
These are people who have taken career breaks for elder care, for childcare reasons, pursuing a personal interest, or a personal health issue.
这些人由于需要照顾老人 孩子 追求个人爱好 或者个人健康状况等原因不得不离职休息
Closely related are career transitioners of all kinds: veterans, military spouses, retirees coming out of retirement, or repatriating expats.
这类人涉及各行各业:退伍军人、军嫂 退休返聘的人 或遣返回国者
Returning to work after a career break is hard, because of a disconnect between the employers and the relaunchers.
离职长假后重返工作并不是件简单的事 因为雇主和再从业者之间有了隔阂。
Employers can view hiring people with a gap on their resume as a high-risk proposition,
雇主们认为,雇佣这些 简历上工作时间不连贯的人是一个高风险的决定
and individuals on career break can have doubts about their abilities to relaunch their careers.
另外对于这些处于事业休假期的个体 我们会怀疑他们能否成功适应他们的工作
Especially if they've been out for a long time.
特别是那些离职时间较长者

tedyj04.jpg


This disconnect is a problem that I'm trying to help solve.
雇主和再从业者之间缺乏的联系是我在尝试解决的问题。
Now, successful relaunchers are everywhere and in every field.
现在在各个领域再从业者成功的例子随处可见
This is Sami Kafala.
这位是萨米·科法拉
He's a nuclear physicist in the UK, who took a five-year career break to be home with his five children.
他是英国的一位核物理学家 由于要在家照顾五个孩子 而度过了五年的离职长假
The Singapore press recently wrote about nurses returning to work after long career breaks.
新加坡新闻最近报道了有关保姆长时间休假后重新工作的消息
And speaking of long career breaks.
提到长时间的离职假期
This is Mimi Kahn, she's a social worker in Orange County, California
这位是米米·卡恩 她是加州奥兰治县的一位社工
who returned to work in a social services organization after a 25-year career break.
在度过25年的离职长假后 回到了一个社会服务组织工作
That's the longest career break that I'm aware of.
这是据我见过最长的离职假期
Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor took a five-year career break early in her career.
最高法院法官桑德拉·戴·奥康纳 在其职业生涯早期 度过了五年离职长假
And this is Tracy Shapiro, who took a 13-year career break.
这位是特蕾西·莎碧罗,她度过了13年的离职长假
Tracy answered a call for essays by the Today Show from people who were trying to return to work, but having a difficult time of it.
特蕾西接了从“今日秀”节目观众 打来的电话他们想要重返工作却发现很难做到
Tracy wrote in that she was a mom of five who loved her time at home,
特蕾西写道:自己是五个孩子的母亲,也很享受居家的时间
but she had gone through a divorce and needed to return to work,
但是她历经了一次离婚并且需要重新开始工作
plus she really wanted to bring work back into her life because she loved working.
并且她很想让工作重回她的生活 因为她热爱工作
Tracy was doing what so many of us do when we feel like we've put in a good day in the job search.
特蕾西也像我们每个人一样有时一整天都在寻找合适的工作
She was looking for a finance or accounting role and she had just spent the last nine months
她找过财经、会计领域的职位她在那之前花掉了九个月时间
very diligently researching companies online and applying for jobs with no results.
很努力地调查网上的公司 然后投放简历,却一无所获
I met Tracy in June of 2011 when the Today Show asked me if I could work with her to see if I could help her turn things around.
我在2011年六月见到了特蕾西 那时“今日秀”节目 问我可否与她合作 看我能不能帮她走出困境
The first thing I told Tracy was she had to get out of the house.
我告诉特蕾西的第一件事 就是她必须走出家门
I told her she had to go public with her job search
我告诉她 她必须 公开自己求职的想法
and tell everyone she knew about her interest in returning to work.
然后告诉她认识的所有人 自己再从业的强烈意愿
I also told her, "You are going to have a lot of conversations that don't go anywhere.
我还告诉她,“有很多你参与的对话 是对你完全没有帮助的
Expect that, and don't be discouraged by it.
你要做好心理准备 别因为那些丧失信心
There will be a handful that ultimately lead to a job opportunity.”
在最终得到机会之前 你要经历很多不如意的事。”
I'll tell you what happened with Tracy in a little bit
我稍后再告诉你们 特蕾西是如何处理的
but I want to share with you a discovery that I made
我想先跟大家分享 我的一个发现
when I was returning to work after my own career break of 11 years out of the full-time workforce.
那时我刚刚回到工作中 结束了自己离开全职工作大军 11年的长假
And that is, that people's view of you is frozen in time.
这个发现就是,人们对你的印象凝固在过去
What I mean by this is,when you start to get in touch with people
我的意思是,当你再次开始与人打交道
and you get back in touch with those people from the past
与曾经合作过的人重新接触
the people with whom you worked or went to school
例如跟你一起上学、工作过的人
they are going to remember you as you were before your career break.
他们对你的印象是离职长假之前的你
And that's even if your sense of self has diminished over time
我们的自我意识随着时间推移逐渐淡化
as happens with so many of us the farther removed we are from our professional identities.
我们很多人都会这样我们距离自己的职业身份也就越来越远
So for example, you might think of yourself as someone who looks like this.
所以就好比说 在你眼里自己是这样的人
This is me, crazy after a day of driving around in my minivan.
这就是我,开了一天小面包车 整个人感觉很疯狂
Or here I am in the kitchen.
这是我在厨房里的样子
But those people from the past they don't know about any of this
但是从前的那些人他们对这些一无所知
They only remember you as you were.
他们只记得你过去的样子
And it's a great confidence boost to be back in touch with these people,
当你重新与这些人沟通时 真是大大的增强了自信心
and hear their enthusiasm about your interest in returning to work.
而且他们对你有再从业的兴趣 感到非常的开心
There's one more thing I remember vividly from my own career break.
我还清晰地记得发生在 我离职长假中的一件事
And that was that I hardly kept up with the business news.
那时我几乎完全不关注经济新闻
My background is in finance and I hardly kept up with any news
我曾是财经行业出身然而我在家照顾四个孩子时
when I was home caring for my four young children.
我几乎不关注任何的新闻
So I was afraid I'd go into an interview
所以我很害怕 自己去参加面试的时候
and start talking about a company that didn't exist anymore.
会讲出一个不复存在的公司
So I had to resubscribe to the Wall Street Journal
所以我重新订阅了华尔街日报
and read it for a good six months cover to cover before I felt
然后连续看了六个月
like I had a handle on what was going on in the business world again.
之后我才觉得自己对经济 又有了点解了
I believe relaunchers are a gem of the workforce and here's why.
我相信再从业者是 劳动大军中的精英原因如下
Think about our life stage:
想想我们人生的阶段:
for those of us who took career breaks for childcare reasons we have fewer or no maternity leaves.
对于那些因为要照顾孩子 而休离职假期的大都没有产假,或是产假很短
We did that already.
我们早就经历过这些了
We have fewer spousal or partner job relocations.
我们 很少因伴侣而调整工作
We're in a more settled time of life.
我们的生活更稳定
We have great work experience.
我们有更好的工作经历
We have a more mature perspective.
更成熟的眼光
We're not trying to find ourselves at an employer's expense.
我们不需要牺牲雇主以认知自我
Plus we have an energy, an enthusiasm about returning to work.
此外,我们有一种能量 重返岗位的热情
precisely because we've been away from it for a while.
正是因为我们离职一段时间了
On the flip side, I speak with employers and here are two concerns that employers have about hiring relaunchers.
另外,我也跟雇主讨论雇主主要有两方面的担心关于聘请再从业者
The first one is, employers are worried that relaunchers are technologically obsolete.
其一,雇主担心这些再从业者技术方面比较落后
Now, I can tell you having been technologically obsolete myself at one point that it's a temporary condition.
现在我可以告诉各位虽然有段时间我的专业知识确实跟不上 但那只是暂时的
I had done my financial analysis so long ago that I used Lotus 1-2-3.
很早以前我用“莲花123”软件 来做财经分析
I don't know if anyone can even remember back that far but I had to relearn it on Excel.
我不知道有没有人还记得 那么早以前的事了这些技能我得从表格制作重新学起
It actually wasn't that hard. A lot of the commands are the same.
其实这并并非难事 很多的操作指令是一样的
I found PowerPoint much more challenging but now I use PowerPoint all the time.
我发现幻灯片制作 更具挑战性但现在我对幻灯片驾轻就熟
I tell relaunchers that employers expect them to come to the table
我告诉再从业者们 雇主希望找工作的人
with a working knowledge of basic office management software.
对基本的办公管理软件 有实践经验
And if they're not up to speed then it's their responsibility to get there. And they do.
如果他们操作速度不够快 那他们就必须变得更高效 而他们确实做得到
The second area of concern that employers have about relaunchers
雇主对再从业者的第二种忧虑
is they're worried that relaunchers don't know what they want to do.
就是他们担心再从业者 不清楚他们想要做什么
I tell relaunchers that they need to do the hard work
我告诉再从业者 他们必须仔细研究
to figure out whether their interests and skills have changed
了解自己的爱好或者技能
or have not changed while they have been on career break.
在离职长假的过程中 是否发生了变化
That's not the employer's job.
这不是雇主的职责
It's the relauncher's responsibility to demonstrate to the employer where they can add the most value.
这个是再从业者的责任 把自己展现给雇主 来充分展示自己可创造的价值
Back in 2010 I started noticing something,

2010年,我开始注意到一件事
I had been tracking return to work programs since 2008
我从2008年开始追踪 人们重返岗位的情况
and in 2010, I started noticing the use of a short-term paid work opportunity,
然而在2010年,我开始注意到一种短期、带薪的工作机会开始出现
whether it was called an internship or not,
不论它是不是名叫“实习”
but an internship-like experience as a way for professionals to return to work.
但总之是一个很像实习的经历这为重回岗位的专业人士 开辟了一条道路
I saw Goldman Sachs and Sara Lee start corporate reentry internship programs.
我看到高盛和莎莉集团都开始了此类 二次从业的实习项目
I saw a returning engineer, a nontraditional reentry candidate
我看到一个再从业的工程师 算是不太传统的再从业人士
apply for an entry-level internship program in the military and then get a permanent job afterward.
申请了一个 军方的初级实习项目后来他获得了一个长期的工作
I saw two universities integrate internships into mid-career executive education programs.
我看到两所大学把实习整合成中段职业行政考试项目
So I wrote a report about what I was seeing
于是,就我所观察到的现象 我写了一篇报告
and it became this article for Harvard Business Review called "The 40-Year-Old Intern."
后来它发表在了 《哈佛商业评论》中名字叫《40岁的实习生》
I have to thank the editors there for that title and also for this artwork
我必须得感谢编者拟的标题还有这个很棒的配图
where you can see the 40-year-old intern in the midst of all the college interns.
你们可以看到那个40岁的实习生 出现在一群大学实习生中
And then, courtesy of Fox Business News they called the concept "The 50-Year-Old Intern."
后来,还得感谢福克斯商业新闻他们把这个概念称为 “50岁的实习生”
So five of the biggest financial services companies
五家最大的金融服务公司
have reentry internship programs for returning finance professionals.
都设立了再从业实习项目 专为重回岗位的金融精英
And at this point, hundreds of people have participated
截至目前,数百人参与了这些项目
These internships are paid
这些实习项目是带薪的
and the people who move on to permanent roles are commanding competitive salaries.
而且那些晋升到永久岗位的人都有极具竞争力的薪资
And now, seven of the biggest engineering companies
现在,七家最大的工程公司
are piloting reentry internship programs for returning engineers
也在推行再从业实习项目 来帮助重返岗位的工程师
as part of an initiative with the Society of Women Engineers.
这也是女性工程师协会 新方案的一部分
Now, why are companies embracing the reentry internship?
那么,为什么这些企业 大力支持再从业实习呢?
Because the internship allows the employer to base their hiring decision on an actual work sample
因为这种实习可以让雇主基于参与者实际工作成效 来做出雇佣决策
instead of a series of interviews and the employer does not have to make that permanent hiring decision until the internship period is over.
而非一系列的面试而且雇主不必在实习结束之前 就做出长期聘请的决定
This testing out period removes the perceived risk
这段试验期消除了一定的风险
that some managers attach to hiring relaunchers
有关某些经理 对雇佣再从业者的担忧
and they are attracting excellent candidates
同时,这也吸引了大量再从业人士
who are turning into great hires.
他们借此成为了出色的雇佣对象
Think about how far we have come.
各位,想一想我们所取得的进步
Before this, most employers were not interested in engaging with relaunchers at all.
在这个项目之前,大部分的雇主都不考虑聘请再就业者
But now, not only are programs being developed specifically with relaunchers in mind
但现在,不仅这些项目在发展起来特别是针对再从业者的项目
but you can't even apply for these programs unless you have a gap on your resume.
如果简历上没有一段空档期 你根本不能申请这些项目
This is the mark of real change of true institutional shift
这标志着一种实质变化一种真正的制度变革
because if we can solve this problem for relaunchers
因为如果我们可以 为再从业者解决这个问题
we can solve it for other career transitioners too.
我们亦可为其他的职业转型者 解决同样的问题
In fact, an employer just told me that their veterans return to work program is based on their reentry internship program.
事实上,一位雇主刚刚告诉我他们的“退伍军人再从业项目” 就是基于他们的再从业实习项目
And there's no reason why there can't be a retiree internship program.
我们也没有理由不去设立 一个“退休人士实习项目”
Different pool, same concept.
不同的对象,相同的概念
So let me tell you what happened with Tracy Shapiro.
让我告诉你们特蕾西·莎碧罗最后怎么样了
Remember that she had to tell everyone she knew about her interest in returning to work.
请记住她必须告诉认识的每个人她想重新工作的意愿
Well, one critical conversation with another parent in her community led to a job offer for Tracy
结果,她与自己社区里的长辈 进行了一次关键的谈话这让她得到了一个工作机会
and it was an accounting job in a finance department.
就是在金融部门当会计
But it was a temp job.
但它只是一份临时的工作
The company told her there was a possibility it could turn into something more, but no guarantees.
这家公司告诉她 她可能从一个临时的雇员转成长期雇员 但是不能保证这一点
This was in the fall of 2011, Tracy loved this company, and she loved the people
那是2011年的秋天 特蕾西很喜欢那家公司和里面的员工
and the office was less than 10 minutes from her house.
公司与她家之间只有不到十分钟的距离
So even though she had a second job offer at another company for a permanent full-time role
所以即使她收到了第二家公司的邀请给予她一份全职的工作
she decided to take her chances with this internship and hope for the best.
她也拒绝了 她决定在这个实习岗位上继续干下去 碰碰运气 希望能够得到最好的结果
Well, she ended up blowing away all of their expectations
最后,她的业绩 远远超出了所有人的期望值
and the company not only made her a permanent offer at the beginning of 2012,
公司不但提供了她永久岗位那是在2012年初
but they made it even more interesting and challenging,
而且他们还让她的工作 更加有趣、具有挑战性
because they knew what Tracy could handle.
因为他们知道特蕾西可以办得到
Fast forward to 2015, Tracy's been promoted.
时间快进到2015年 特蕾西获得了晋升
They've paid for her to get her MBA at night.
公司还免费供她去读夜校 攻读MBA学位
She's even hired another relauncher to work for her.
她甚至雇佣了 另一位再从业者为她工作
Tracy's temp job was a tryout just like an internship,
特蕾西的临时工作只是一个试验 就像实习项目
and it ended up being a win for both Tracy and her employer.
而最终,特蕾西和她的雇主 达到了双赢局面
Now, my goal is to bring the reentry internship concept to more and more employers.
我的目标是将这种 再从业实习的概念推荐给越来越多的雇主
But in the meantime, if you are returning to work after a career break
但是与此同时如果你在离职长假后重返岗位
don't hesitate to suggest an internship or an internship-like arrangement
别犹豫向雇主提议设立实习项目 或者类似实习项目的想法
to an employer that does not have a formal reentry internship program.
特别是那些没有 正式的再从业实习项目的公司
Be their first success story, and you can be the example for more relaunchers to come Thank you!
成为第一个成功的人 你能为更多的再从业者竖立榜样 谢谢各位

分享到
重点单词
  • conversationn. 会话,谈话
  • ultimatelyadv. 最后,最终
  • competitiveadj. 竞争的,比赛的
  • nontraditionaladj. 非传统的,不符合传统的
  • excelvt. 超过,优于 vi. 胜出 n. [计] 电子表格
  • demonstratevt. 示范,演示,证明 vi. 示威
  • handlen. 柄,把手 v. 买卖,处理,操作,驾驭
  • socialadj. 社会的,社交的 n. 社交聚会
  • corporateadj. 社团的,法人的,共同的,全体的
  • attachv. 附上,系上,贴上,使依恋