科技如何帮助我们专注
日期:2017-10-18 18:03

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

What does it mean to spend our time well?
充分利用时间意味着什么?
I spend a lot of my time thinking about how to spend my time.
我花了很多时间思考如何花费我的时间。
Probably too much -- I probably obsess over it. My friends think I do.
也许花了太多时间--我可能是对此过度着迷了。我的朋友是这样认为的。
But I feel like I kind of have to, because these days,
不过从某种意义上说,我觉得我一定得这样做,最近
it feels like little bits of my time kind of slip away from me,
我感觉我的时间一小块一小块地溜走了,
and when that happens, it feels like parts of my life are slipping away.
每当这发生的时候,感觉我一部分生命就这样浪费了。
Specifically, it feels like little bits of my time get slipped away to various things like this, like technology -- I check things.
具体点说,我觉得我的时间流失在各种像这样的东西,比如科技--我会不断查看更新的消息。
I'll give you an example. If this email shows up -- how many of you have gotten an email like this, right?
举个例子。假如这个邮件出现了,你们中的不少人收到过这样的邮件,对吧?
I've been tagged in a photo. When this appears, I can't help but click on it right now. Right?
我在一张照片中被圈出来了。当这个出现的时候,我情不自禁就要立刻点开。对吧?
Because, like, what if it's a bad photo? So I have to click it right now.
因为如果这是一张不好的照片怎么办?所以我一定要立刻点开。
But I'm not just going to click "See photo," what I'm actually going to do is spend the next 20 minutes.
但我不仅仅是点击“看照片”,我实际上是把接下来的二十多分钟都花在上面了。
But the worst part is that I know this is what's going to happen,
但是更糟的是,我明知道会发生这种事,
and even knowing that's what's going to happen doesn't stop me from doing it again the next time.
但即使是知道将会发生什么,也不能阻止我下一次再这样做。
Or I find myself in a situation like this, where I check my email and I pull down to refresh.
或者我发现自己处于这样的情况,当我在检查邮箱时,我总会下拉刷新。
But the thing is that 60 seconds later, I'll pull down to refresh again.
但问题是,60秒之后我又会再次下拉刷新。
Why am I doing this? This doesn't make any sense.
我为什么要这样做?完全没意义啊。
But I'll give you a hint why this is happening.
但我会给你们一点为什么会发生这样的事的提示。
What do you think makes more money in the United States than movies, game parks and baseball combined? Slot machines.
你们认为在美国,什么东西比电影、主题公园和棒球业加起来还要赚钱?老虎机。
How can slot machines make all this money when we play with such small amounts of money? We play with coins.
老虎机为什么能赚这么多钱,我们每个人都只投了很少量的钱进去,对吧?我们投进去的是硬币。
How is this possible? Well, the thing is ... my phone is a slot machine.
这怎么可能?其实,事实是这样的...我的手机就是一部老虎机。
Every time I check my phone, I'm playing the slot machine to see, what am I going to get?
每次我检查自己的手机,我就像在玩老虎机,看看我能得到什么。
What am I going to get? Every time I check my email, I'm playing the slot machine, saying, "What am I going to get?"
我能得到什么?每次我检查自己的邮箱,我就在玩这个老虎机,想着“我会得到什么?”
Every time I scroll a news feed, I'm playing the slot machine to see, what am I going to get next?
每一次我滚动去看新闻提要,我就在玩这个老虎机,去看我下次能得到些什么。
And the thing is that, again, knowing exactly how this works -- and I'm a designer,
就是这样,又一次,明确知道这事情怎么运作--我是一个设计者,
I know exactly how the psychology of this works, I know exactly what's going on
我明确地知道这件事情背后的心理活动,我确切地知道在发生什么,
but it doesn't leave me with any choice, I still just get sucked into it.
我却没有其他任何选择,我很明显是陷在里面了。
So what are we going to do? Because it leaves us with this all-or-nothing relationship with technology, right?
那么我们要怎么办呢?科技让我们陷入了这样极端的关系之中,对吧?
You're either on, and you're connected and distracted all the time, or you're off,
你要不沉浸在里面,始终都沉浸其中不能自拔,要不就是隔绝干扰,
but then you're wondering, am I missing something important?
但这时候你会好奇,我是不是错过了什么重要的消息?
In other words, you're either distracted or you have fear of missing out. Right?
换句话说,你要不就分心,要不就因害怕错过什么而备受煎熬。对吧?
So we need to restore choice.
所以我们需要重新构建我们的选择。
We want to have a relationship with technology that gives us back choice about how we spend time with it,
我们可以用科技来解决这个问题,从而让我们重新选择度过时光的方式,
and we're going to need help from designers, because knowing this stuff doesn't help.
我们将需要设计师的帮助,因为光知道这些理论并没有什么用。
We're going to need design help. So what would that look like?
我们需要从设计上入手。那么这一切将会变成什么样呢?
So let's take an example that we all face: chat -- text messaging.
我举个我们都会遇到的例子:聊天--发短信。
So let's say there's two people. Nancy's on the left and she's working on a document, and John's on the right.
假设这里有两个人,左边的是南希,她在处理文件,右边的是约翰。
And John suddenly remembers, "I need to ask Nancy for that document before I forget."
这时约翰突然想起:“在我把那个文件的事情忘了之前,我要去问问南希。”
So when he sends her that message, it blows away her attention.
所以当他问南希这件事时,南希的注意力被打断了。
That's what we're doing all the time, bulldozing each other's attention, left and right.
这是我们一直做的事情,强行打断彼此的注意力,在各种方面都是。
And there's serious cost to this, because every time we interrupt each other,
这种做法也会付出昂贵的代价,因为每次我们互相打断,
it takes us about 23 minutes, on average, to refocus our attention.
都会花费我们大概23分钟去重新集中注意力。
We actually cycle through two different projects before we come back to the original thing we were doing.
事实上,在我们回到原本要做的事情之前,我们在两件不同的事情上循环。
This is Gloria Mark's research combined with Microsoft research, that showed this.
这是一份整合了格洛瑞亚·马克和微软的调查的报告,报告证实了这一点。
And her research also shows that it actually trains bad habits.
并且她的研究还表明这还会让我们养成坏习惯。
The more interruptions we get externally, it's conditioning and training us to interrupt ourselves.
我们被外界打扰的越多,我们越被训练去如何去打扰自己。
We actually self-interrupt every three-and-a-half minutes.
实际上每3.5分钟我们就自扰一次。
This is crazy. So how do we fix this?
这太疯狂了。我们该怎么挽救?
Because Nancy and John are in this all-or-nothing relationship.
因为南希和约翰之间并没有什么中间选择。
Nancy might want to disconnect, but then she'd be worried: What if I'm missing something important?
南希也许不愿被打扰。但她会担心:我错过了重要的事情怎么办?
Design can fix this problem. Let's say you have Nancy again on the left, John on the right.
设计可以解决这个问题。再次假设屏幕左边的是南希,右边的是约翰。
And John remembers, "I need to send Nancy that document."
约翰想起了“我需要把这个文件发给南希。”
Except this time, Nancy can mark that she's focused.
不过这次,南希可以标记她正在专心工作。
Let's say she drags a slider and says, "I want to be focused for 30 minutes," so -- bam -- she's focused.
假设她一边拖动着滑块一边说:“我想集中精力30分钟”,那么,她保持专注了。
Now when John wants to message her, he can get the thought off of his mind
现在约翰想要给她发信息,他想要实践这个想法,
because he has a need, he has this thought, and he needs to dump it out before he forgets.
因为他有一个需要,他有这个想法,他需要在他忘记之前把这个想法付诸实践。
Except this time, it holds the messages so that Nancy can still focus, but John can get the thought off of his mind.
但这次不行。系统会延迟接收他的消息,这样南希可以继续保持专注,而约翰也可以处理掉这个想法。
But this only works if one last thing is true,
但这只在最后一件事成为事实的时候可行,
which is that Nancy needs to know that if something is truly important, John can still interrupt.
也就是南希需要知道,如果事情真的很重要的时候,约翰仍然可以打断她。
But instead of having constant accidental or mindless interruptions, we're now only creating conscious interruptions,
但是,我们现在仅允许有意识的干扰,而不是频繁的无心的干扰。
So we're doing two things here. We're creating a new choice for both Nancy and John.
所以我们想达成两个目的,一是我们正为南希和约翰创造一个新的选择。
But there's a second, subtle thing we're doing here, too.
但同时我们也在做一件细节上的事情。
And it's that we're changing the question we're answering.
那就是我们正在改变我们正在回答的问题。
Instead of the goal of chat being: "Let's design it so it's easy to send a message"
我们聊天的目的不是:“让我们设计一个让发信息更方便的东西”
that's the goal of chat, it should be really easy to send a message to someone
那是聊天的目的,它应该使得发送信息变得非常容易
we change the goal to something deeper and a human value, which is:
我们改变了我们的目的,去探索更深层次的东西和人性的价值,也就是说:
"Let's create the highest possible quality communication in a relationship between two people." So we upgraded the goal.
“让我们在人和人之间创造尽可能高的交流质量。”所以我们更新了我们的目标。
Now, do designers actually care about this?
然而,设计者们真的关心这个吗?
Do we want to have conversations about what these deeper human goals are?
我们真的想去讨论人性更深层的目标是什么吗?

科技如何帮助我们专注

Well, I'll tell you one story. A little over a year ago,
我给你们讲个故事吧。一年多以前,
I got to help organize a meeting between some of technology's leading designers and Thich Nhat Hanh.
我去协助组织一个由顶级技术设计者和释一行禅师参加的会议。
Thich Nhat Hanh is an international spokesperson for mindfulness meditation.
释一行禅师是正念禅修的国际倡导者。
And it was the most amazing meeting.
这是我经历过的最有趣的会议。
You have to imagine -- picture a room -- on one side of the room, you have a bunch of tech geeks;
你可以想象一个房间,在房间的一边有一群技术宅;
on the other side of the room, you have a bunch of long brown robes, shaved heads, Buddhist monks.
房间的另一边,是一群穿着褐色长袍,剃了头的佛教僧侣。
And the questions were about the deepest human values,
会议探讨的问题是人性最深处的价值观,
like what does the future of technology look like when you're designing for the deepest questions and the deepest human values?
比如当你的设计涉及到了深刻的问题以及人类深层的价值时,未来的科技会是什么样子?
And our conversation centered on listening more deeply to what those values might be.
并且我们的话题着重于深入地倾听那些价值可能是什么。
He joked in our conversation that what if, instead of a spell check, you had a compassion check,
他在谈话时开了玩笑,他说假如,除了拼写检查,你做了一个同情心检查,
meaning, you might highlight a word that might be accidentally abrasive -- perceived as abrasive by someone else.
也就是,你可能会强调一个会无意间冒犯他人的词--被他人视为冒犯的词。
So does this kind of conversation happen in the real world, not just in these design meetings?
那么这样的对话会发生在现实生活中,而不仅仅在设计者会议中吗?
Well, the answer is yes, and one of my favorites is Couchsurfing.
答案是肯定的。我最喜欢的例子之一就是沙发客网站。
If you didn't know, Couchsurfing is a website that
先介绍一下, 沙发客网站是一个
matches people who are looking for a place to stay with a free couch, from someone who's trying to offer it.
帮助借宿者和愿意提供住宿的人进行匹配的网站。
So, great service -- what would their design goal be? What are you designing for if you work at Couchsurfing?
非常棒的服务--他们的设计目标是什么?如果你在沙发客工作,你会如何设计?
Well, you would think it's to match guests with hosts. Right? That's a pretty good goal.
你可能会认为是匹配房主和客人。对吧? 这是一个很好的目标。
But that would kind of be like our goal with messaging before, where we're just trying to deliver a message.
但这很像我们以前发信息的目标,我们只是想去传递信息。
So what's the deeper, human goal?
那么更深层的人类目标是什么?
Well, they set their goal as the need to create lasting, positive experiences and relationships between people who've never met before.
这个目标就是需要在从未见过的人之间创造持久的、积极的经历和关系。
And the most amazing thing about this was in 2007, they introduced a way to measure this, which is incredible.
关于这点,在2007年发生了一个非常有趣的事,他们引入了一种衡量这件事的方式,这很不可思议。
I'll tell you how it works. For every design goal you have,
我将告诉你它如何运作。对于每个设计目标,
you have to have a corresponding measurement to know how you're doing -- a way of measuring success.
你都要有一个相应的衡量方法,从而知道你做的怎么样--这是一种衡量成功的方式。
So what they do is, let's say you take two people who meet up,
那么做法是,假设你选取了两个刚见面的人,
and they take the number of days those two people spent together,
估计了他们在一起的天数,
and then they estimate how many hours were in those days -- how many hours did those two people spend together?
然后算了下在那些天他们用了多少个小时--即两个人在一起待了有多少个小时?
And then after they spend that time together, they ask both of them:
在他们一起待了这段时间之后,问他们,
How positive was your experience? Did you have a good experience with this person that you met?
你觉得这段经历有多好?你和你遇见的人有没有度过美好的时光?
And they subtract from those positive hours the amount of time people spent on the website, because that's a cost to people's lives.
然后把在网上花费的时间从那些美好的时光中减去,因为网上的时间算是一种对于生命的损失。
Why should we value that as success?
那么为什么我们更倾向这种方法?
And what you were left with is something they refer to as "net orchestrated conviviality," or, really, just a net "Good Times" created.
我们把剩下的部分称为“被网络精心安排的快乐”,或者说是网络带来的“美妙时光”。
The net hours that would have never existed, had Couchsurfing not existed.
如果沙发客的网站不存在,那么这些网络美妙时光也不会存在。
Can you imagine how inspiring it would be to come to work every day
你能想象这该有多振奋人心吗?当你每天来工作,
and measure your success in the actual net new contribution of hours in people's lives that are positive,
然后评估你的成功,评估在人们生命里实际的“净贡献”,
that would have never existed if you didn't do what you were about to do at work today?
那些假如你今天没有做本职工作,就不会存在的积极的成就?
Can you imagine a whole world that worked this way?
你能想象这样运作的整个世界吗?
Can you imagine a social network that -- let's say you care about cooking,
你可以想象一个社交网络--假如你喜欢烹饪,
and it measured its success in terms of cooking nights organized and the cooking articles that you were glad you read,
那么这个社交网络的成功的衡量标准是你做晚餐的天数和你喜爱阅读的烹饪文章的数量,
and subtracted from that the articles you weren't glad you read or the time you spent scrolling that you didn't like?
减去你不喜欢读的文章,或者你浪费在看你不喜欢的东西上的时间。
Imagine a professional social network that,
想象一个专业的社交网站,
instead of measuring its success in terms of connections created or messages sent,
它不再以创造人与人之间的联系、或者是发出多少信息作为成功的标准,
instead measured its success in terms of the job offers that people got that they were excited to get.
而是以人们得到的工作机会,那些人们很期待能够得到的工作机会。
And subtracted the amount of time people spent on the website.
减掉人们在网站上花费的时间。
Or imagine dating services, like maybe Tinder or something,
或者想象一个约会服务,就像Tinder或者其他的应用,
where instead of measuring the number of swipes left and right people did, which is how they measure success today,
它们不以人们更喜欢往左滑还是往右滑为评估方法,也就是它们现在评估成功的方法,
instead measured the deep, romantic, fulfilling connections people created. Whatever that was for them, by the way.
而是衡量人们创造的深入的、浪漫的、令人满足的关系。无论这种关系对他们来说意味着什么。
But can you imagine a whole world that worked this way, that was helping you spend your time well?
但是你能想象整个世界都是这样运转,从而能帮助你更好地运用时间吗?
Now to do this you also need a new system, because you're probably thinking,
为了达成这个目的,你也需要一个新的系统,因为你可能在想,
today's Internet economy -- today's economy in general -- is measured in time spent.
现在的互联网经济--现在的总体经济--是以花费的时间来测量的。
The more users you have, the more usage you have, the more time people spend, that's how we measure success.
更多的用户,更多的使用量,人们花的更多的时间,那就是我们用来衡量成功的。
But we've solved this problem before. We solved it with organic, when we said we need to value things a different way.
但我们之前也解决过这个问题。当我们说要用另一种方法去评估的时候,我用这个不施化肥的食物举例子。
We said this is a different kind of food.
这是另一种食物。
So we can't compare it just based on price; this is a different category of food.
所以我们不能单纯通过价钱来比较;这是完全不同种类的食物。
We solved it with Leed Certification, where we said this is a different kind of building
当我们说这是另外一种建筑时,我们也用LEED去证明,
that stood for different values of environmental sustainability.
这代表了另外一种价值,即环境的可持续发展。
What if we had something like that for technology?
假如我们在科技上也引入类似的标准呢?
What if we had something whose entire purpose and goal was to help create net new positive contributions to human life?
如果我们把目标设定为为人类做出新的有益的贡献,这一切又会怎样?
And what if we could value it a different way, so it would actually work?
如果我们用另一种方式去评估这一切又会怎样?
Imagine you gave this different premium shelf space on app stores.
设想在应用商城里,我们专门为这种产品设立一个类别。
Imagine you had web browsers that helped route you to these kinds of design products.
设想有一个网站,专门提供这类产品。
Can you imagine how exciting it would be to live and create that world?
你能想象建立一个这样的世界有多令人激动吗?
We can create this world today. Company leaders, all you have to do -- only you can prioritize a new metric,
我们现在就可以建立这样的世界。公司领袖,你们需要做的就是--只有你们可以发起建立一个新的系统,
which is your metric for net positive contribution to human life. And have an honest conversation about that.
一个对人类有益的网络贡献系统,并诚实的与他人谈论这些。
Maybe you're not doing so well to start with, but let's start that conversation.
或许你刚开始会做的不太好,但是开始这种对话是有必要的。
Designers, you can redefine success; you can redefine design.
设计者,你可以重新定义成功;你可以重新定义设计。
Arguably, you have more power than many people in your organization to create the choices that all of us live by.
可以说,你比在公司里的其他人,有更大的能力去做这个可以影响我们生活质量的选择。
Maybe like in medicine, where we have a Hippocratic oath to recognize the responsibility and this higher value that we have to treat patients.
或许就像医疗行业,当给病人治病的时候,我们用希波克拉底誓言去明确医疗业的责任和最高价值观。
What if designers had something like that, in terms of this new kind of design?
就新的设计来说,如果设计者也有类似的“誓言”,那又会怎样?
And users, for all of us -- we can demand technology that works this way.
用户们,我们所有人--我们可以要求科技领域也采用这个做法。
Now it may seem hard, but McDonald's didn't have salads until the consumer demand was there.
这看起来也许很困难,但是麦当劳在顾客提出要求之前也并不提供沙拉。
Walmart didn't have organic food until the consumer demand was there.
沃尔玛在顾客需求产生之前也没有有机食物。
We have to demand this new kind of technology. And we can do that.
我们需要对这样的新科技表达需求。而且我们能做到。
And doing that would amount to shifting from a world that's driven and run entirely on time spent,
通过这样,就可能把以时间为代价和尺度运转的世界
to world that's driven by time well spent.
转变成一个被合理利用的时间推动的世界。
I want to live in this world, and I want this conversation to happen.
我想生活在这样的世界,而且我想让这个对话得以落实。
Let's start that conversation now. Thank you.
那么让我们现在就开始对话吧。谢谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • minutesn. 会议记录,(复数)分钟
  • measuredadj. 量过的,慎重的,基于标准的,有韵律的 动词me
  • originaladj. 最初的,原始的,有独创性的,原版的 n. 原件
  • restorevt. 恢复,修复,使复原
  • communicationn. 沟通,交流,通讯,传达,通信
  • mindlessadj. 不小心的,不留神的,不顾虑的
  • accidentaladj. 意外的,偶然的,附属的 n. 偶然,不重要的东
  • obsessv. (使)牵挂,(使)惦念,(使)着迷,(使)困扰
  • exceptvt. 除,除外 prep. & conj. 除了 ..
  • disconnectvt. 使分离 vi. 断开,拆开