历史悠久的底特律邮船
日期:2017-09-07 08:13

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

In the United States, the mail comes by foot, by truck, and if you are on the Great Lakes, by boat.
美国邮件的派送方式包括步行和卡车,但如果是五大湖水域,那就需要用船了。
We are the J.W. Westcott Company.
我们是J.W.韦斯科特公司。
We are a marine supplier, most famously known as the mailboat in the port of Detroit, we were established back in 1874.
提供水上投递服务,也就是著名的“底特律港邮船”,公司始建于1874年。
And since then, Jim Hogan's family has been delivering all sorts of items including mail
自此之后,吉姆·霍根家族就一直运送包括邮件在内的各种物品,
to Great Lakes' freighters sailing down the Detroit River.
投递对象就是穿梭在底特律河的五大湖区货船。
His great-grandfather John Ward Westcott paddled out on a rowboat to make the first delivery.
当时,他的曾祖父约翰·沃德·韦斯科特划着小船分发邮件,完成了第一次投递。

boats.jpg

When the United States Postal Service came out with ZIP codes, we were the first boat to be issued the zip code 48222.
美国刚开始采用邮区编号的时候,我们的邮船率先拥有了编码,48222。
Captain Sam Buchanan guides the floating ZIP code alongside vessels
船长山姆·布坎南负责指挥邮船停靠在船只旁边,
and the crew sends the letters, packages and other deliveries up by rope and bucket.
船员则借助绳子和水桶将包裹和其他投递物品运送上去。
They go by here. They get their stuff. And they didn't have to stop. They didn't have to wait in the way they go.
他们过来的时候就能拿到物品,不用停船也不需要等待。
And the mailboat returns to the dock, ready to make its next delivery.
而后邮船会返回码头,准备迎接下一次投递工作。
I'm Faith Lapidus, VOA News.
VOA新闻,菲斯·拉皮德斯为您播报。

分享到
重点单词
  • deliveryn. 递送,交付,分娩
  • establishedadj. 已被确认的,确定的,建立的,制定的 动词est
  • bucketn. 水桶 vt. 装在桶里 vi. 急急忙忙
  • crewn. 全体船员,全体乘务员,(一组)工作人员 vi
  • wardn. 守卫,监护,受监护人,病房,行政区 vt. 守护,
  • suppliern. 供应者,供应厂商,供应国
  • coden. 码,密码,法规,准则 vt. 把 ... 编码,制