理发店如何促进男性健康
日期:2017-08-09 23:39

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

What do you see? Most of you see a barbershop, but I see an opportunity:
这是什么?大部分人看到的是理发店,我看到的却是机会:
an opportunity for health, an opportunity for health equity.
促进健康的机会,促进健康平权的机会。
For black men, the barbershop is not just a place where you get your hair cut or your beard trimmed.
对黑人来说,理发店不仅仅是一个帮你剪头发、刮胡子的地方。
No, it's much more than that. Historically, the barbershop has been a safe haven for black men.
不,远远不止如此。历史上,理发店是黑人的避风港。
It's a place where we go for friendship, solidarity and solace.
是我们获得友谊、相互支持和安慰的地方。
It's a place where we go to get away from the stress of the grind of work and sometimes home life.
是我们排解压力,从繁重的工作和家庭压力解脱出来的地方。
It's a place where we don't have to worry about how we're being perceived by the outside world.
在这里我们不用担心外界眼光,
It's a place where we don't feel threatened, or threatening. It's a place of loyalty and trust.
在这里我们不会感到威胁和被他人威胁的地方。一个充满忠诚和信任的地方。
For that reason, it's one of the few places where we can fearlessly be ourselves and just ... talk.
因为这些原因,它是少数几个我们可以毫无顾虑地做自己,轻松聊天的地方。
The talk, the shop talk, the conversation, that is the essence of the black barbershop.
闲扯、乱聊、谈心,这就是黑人理发店的本质。
I can remember going to the barbershop with my dad as a kid.
我记得小时候和爸爸去理发店。
We went to Mr. Mike's barbershop every other Saturday.
我们每隔一个周六去麦克先生家的理发店。
And like clockwork, the same group of men would be there every time we went,
就像钟表发条一样,每次我们去都会有同样一群人在那里,
either waiting on their favorite barber or just soaking up the atmosphere.
要么在等他们最喜欢的理发师,要么沉浸在那种氛围中。
I can remember the jovial greeting that warmly welcomed us every time we went.
我记得每次去的时候都受到热情的问候。
"Hey Rev," they would say to my dad. He's a local pastor, and they treated him like a celebrity.
“嘿,小雷。”他们向我爸打招呼。我爸是当地的牧师,他们像对待名人一样对待他。
"Hey young fella, how you doing?" they would say to me, making me feel just as special.
“嘿,小家伙,你好。”他们向我打招呼。这让我觉得自己很特别。
I remember the range of the conversations was immense.
我记得谈话的主题无所不包。
The men would talk about politics and sports and music and world news, national news, neighborhood news.
男人们会谈论政治、体育、音乐、国际新闻、国内新闻、邻居的新情况。
There was some talk about women and what it was like to be a black man in America.
有时也会谈论女人以及身为黑人在美国是什么感觉。
But many times they also talked about health. The conversations about health were lengthy and deep.
但很多时候他们还会谈论健康。他们会长时间地深入讨论。
The men often recounted their doctor's recommendations to cut salt in their diet
他们经常会详述医生的建议,减少对盐的摄入,
or to eat less fried foods or to stop smoking or to reduce stress.
少吃油炸食品,停止抽烟或者减少压力。
They talked about the different ways you could reduce stress, like simplifying one's love life --
他们会谈论很多不同的减压方法,比如简化爱情生活。
all ways to treat high blood pressure.
还有治疗高血压的各种方式。
There's a lot of talk about high blood pressure in the barbershop.
在理发店有很多关于高血压的谈话。
That's because almost 40 percent of black men have it.
因为接近40%的黑人都患有高血压。
That means that almost every single black man either has high blood pressure or knows a black man who has it.
这意味着几乎所有单身黑人男性,要么患有高血压,要么认识得高血压的人。
Sometimes, those conversations in the barbershop would be about what happens when high blood pressure is not adequately addressed.
有时候,这些在理发店的谈话是有关高血压没有得到充分治疗时造成的后果。
"Say, did you hear about Jimmy? He had a stroke."
“你听说杰米怎么了吗?他中风了。”
"Did you hear about Eddie? He died last week. Massive heart attack. He was 50."
“你听说艾迪怎么了吗?他上周死了。严重心脏病。他才50岁。”
More black men die from high blood pressure than from anything else,
黑人死于高血压的人数远高于其他种族,
even though decades of medical wisdom and science have demonstrated that
哪怕几十年来,医疗和科技进步证明,
death from high blood pressure can be prevented with timely diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
只要及时诊断和正确治疗,高血压引发的死亡是可以避免的。
So why is high blood pressure so differentially deadly for black men?
那为什么黑人死于高血压的人数如此之高?
Because too often, high blood pressure is either untreated or under-treated in black men,
因为很多患有高血压的黑人要么得不到治疗,要么治疗不充分,
in part because of our lower engagement with the primary healthcare system.
大多因为参加初级保健制度的黑人很少。
Black men, in particular those with high blood pressure, are less likely to have a primary care doctor than other groups.
尤其是那些患高血压的黑人,相对于其他群体更不大可能拥有一个保健医生。
But why? Some of our earliest research on black men's health revealed that for many,
为什么?一些关于黑人健康的早期研究表明,
the doctor's office is associated with fear, mistrust, disrespect, and unnecessary unpleasantness.
诊所对很多黑人来说意味着恐惧、猜疑、轻视以及不必要的不愉快经历。
The doctor's office is only a place that you go when you don't feel well.
诊所是你不舒服时去的地方。
And when you do go, you might wait for hours only to get the run-around
当你去了诊所,你可能需要等待数个小时,只等来各种怠慢,
and to be evaluated by a stoic figure in a white coat who only has 10 minutes to give you and who doesn't value the talk.
然后穿白大褂的冰冷人士花十分钟来做检查,而且根本懒得和你谈话。
So it's no wonder that some men don't want to be bothered
难怪一些人不想这么麻烦
and skip going to the doctor altogether, especially if they feel fine.
于是压根不去见医生,特别是他们感觉还行的时候。
But herein lies the problem. You can feel just fine while high blood pressure ravages your most vital organs.
但这里就会产生了问题。虽然你感觉无恙,高血压却在你身体的大部分重要器官里肆虐。
This is Denny Moe, owner of Denny Moe's Superstar Barbershop in Harlem.
这是丹尼·摩,纽约哈莱姆区丹尼·摩超级巨星理发店店主。
I've been lucky enough to have Denny as my barber for the last eight years.
过去八年,有丹尼做我的理发师,我很幸运。
He said to me once, "Hey Doc, you know, lots of black men trust their barbers more than they trust their doctors."
他曾经跟我说,“医生,你知道吗,许多黑人宁可相信他们的理发师,也不相信他们的医生。”
This was stunning to me, at first, but not so much when you think about it.
起初我很震惊,但我仔细想了一下后就不惊讶了。
Black men have been with their current barbers on average as long as I've been with Denny, about eight years.
黑人和他们的理发师认识的时间平均达到八年,和我认识丹尼的时间一样长。
And black men see their barbers about every two weeks.
黑人每两星期见他们的理发师一次。
Not only do you trust your barber with your look and with your style,
他们不仅在外貌和风格塑造上信任理发师,
but you also trust him with your secrets and sometimes your life.
而且在分享秘密、有时在私人生活方面也信任理发师。
Denny, like many barbers, is more than just an artist, a businessman and confidant.
丹尼就像很多理发师一样,不仅仅是艺术家、商人、密友。
He's a leader and a passionate advocate for the well-being of his community.
他还是社区健康的领袖和热情的号召者。

理发店如何促进男性健康

The very first time I walked into Denny Moe's shop, he wasn't just cutting hair.
我第一次走进丹尼·摩的理发店,他不仅仅在为客人理发。
He was also orchestrating a voter registration drive to give a voice to his customers and his community.
他正激励顾客去注册成为选民,为他的顾客和社区发声。
With this kind of activism, and community investment that typifies the black barbershop,
这种活动和社区投资,是黑人理发店的典型做法,
of course the barbershop is a perfect place to talk about high blood pressure and other health concerns in the community.
因此理发店理所当然是个完美的地方,来讨论高血压和社区里的其他健康问题。
First, the barbershop is not a medical setting,
首先,理发店不是一个医疗机构,
and so it doesn't have all the negative psychological baggage that comes along with that.
因此没有随之而来的负面心理负担。
When you're in a barbershop, you're in your territory,
当你在理发店里时,你在你的领地里,
and you're among friends who share your history, your struggle and your health risks.
在朋友中间,他们了解你的历史,你的挣扎和你的健康风险。
Second, because the barbershop is a place of connection, loyalty and trust,
第二,因为理发店是一个关系网,人们忠诚而彼此信任,
it's a place where you're more open to have a conversation about health and especially about high blood pressure.
所以你会在健康话题上敞开心扉,尤其是有关高血压的。
After all, conversations about high blood pressure have all the elements of great shop talk:
毕竟,有关高血压的交谈具备所有精彩的商店谈话的元素:
stress and high blood pressure, food and high blood pressure, relationships and high blood pressure,
压力和高血压,食物和高血压,人际关系和高血压。
and yes, what it's like to be a black man in America and high blood pressure.
而且没错,美国黑人生存处境与高血压的关系。
But you can do more than just talk about high blood pressure in the barbershop. You can concretely take action.
但除了在理发店里谈论高血压,你还可以做更多。你可以切实采取行动。
Here we have an opportunity to partner with the Denny Moe's of the world
我们有机会与丹尼·摩的理发店合作,
and empower communities to address the health inequities that uniquely affect it.
帮助社区更好地处理导致高血压的保健不公平现象。
When high blood pressure screening expanded from clinics and hospitals to communities in the 1960s and '70s,
1960和70年代,当高血压筛查从诊所和医院扩展到社区
black physicians like Dr. Eli Saunders in Baltimore and Dr. Keith Ferdinand in New Orleans
黑人医师,比如巴尔的摩的爱丽·桑德斯博士,新奥尔良的基斯·费迪南德博士
were at the forefront of bringing health promotion to community hubs in urban black neighborhoods.
率先在城市黑人社区的中心枢纽引入更好的保健措施。
These pioneers paved the way for my professional journey with barbershops and health,
这些先驱为我的职业生涯铺平道路,
which began in Chicago in medical school.
我从芝加哥的医学院开始将理发店和健康联系在一起。
The very first research project that I worked on as a medical student
我作为医学院学生的第一个研究项目
was to help design healthcare interventions that would appeal to black men.
是帮助设计保健干预措施,以便吸引黑人就医。
We conducted about a dozen focus groups with a broad cross-section of black men, and we learned that for them,
我们有大约12个焦点小组,广泛囊括各个类型的黑人,我们让他们了解到,
being healthy was as much about being perceived as healthy as it was about feeling healthy,
健康不仅仅是看上去健康,而且要感觉健康,
and that feeling good went hand in hand with looking good.
而感觉健康也会让人看起来气色更好。
This work led to the development of Project Brotherhood,
这推动了兄弟项目的发展,
a community clinic founded by Dr. Eric Whitaker that provided tailored healthcare to black men.
这是艾瑞克·惠特克博士创办的一家社区诊所,为黑人群体提供量身定做的医疗保健。
Part of this tailored care involved having a barber on the premises
部分特殊医疗包括将理发师纳入其中,
to reward the men who came for needed healthcare with a free haircut,
为那些前来进行所需治疗的人提供一次免费理发作为奖励,
to let the men know that we, too, valued how they looked as well as how they felt,
让他们知道我们就像重视他们的感受一样重视他们的外表
and that what was important to them was also important to us.
他们重视的东西也是我们重视的东西。
But while there's only one Project Brotherhood,
虽然兄弟项目只有一个,
there are thousands of black barbershops where the intersection of health and haircuts can be cultivated.
但我们还有数千家理发店,我们可以充分开发这些健康和理发的交汇点。
The next stop on my journey was Dallas, Texas,
我行程的下一站是德州的达拉斯
where we learned that barbers were not only willing but fully able to roll up their sleeves
我们发现,那里的理发师不仅仅愿意,而且完全有能力卷起袖子
and participate in delivering needed health services to improve the health of their customers and their community.
参与到传播必要的医疗服务工作中来,为促进顾客健康和提升社区做贡献。
We teamed up with an amazing cadre of black barbers and taught them how to measure blood pressure
我们将很多杰出的黑人理发师组织起来,教会他们如何测量血压,
and how to counsel their customers and refer them to doctors to help manage high blood pressure.
怎样为顾客提建议,向他们推荐医生帮助他们控制血压。
The barbers were not only willing to do it but they were damn good at it.
理发师们不仅愿意这么做,而且他们做得太棒了。
Over a three-year period, the barbers measured thousands of blood pressures
在三年中,理发师们为数千人测量了血压,
resulting in hundreds of black men being referred to doctors for medical care of their high blood pressure.
介绍数百名黑人前往就医接受高血压的治疗。
These barber-doctor partnerships resulted in a 20 percent increase in the number of men
这些理发师和医生的合作项目,
who were able to achieve target blood pressure levels and a three-point drop, on average, in the blood pressure of each participant.
导致能够达到目标血压水平的人提高了20%,每个参与者的血压指数平均降低了三点。
If we were to extrapolate that three point drop to every single black man with high blood pressure in America,
如果我们能让每一个患高血压的美国黑人的血压指数都降低三点,
we would prevent 800 heart attacks, 500 strokes and 900 deaths from high blood pressure in just one year.
我们就能在一年时间内防止由高血压引起的800次心脏病、500次中风和900例死亡。
And our experience with barbershops has been no different in New York City, where my journey has currently led me.
我们与纽约理发师的合作也一样,这也是我目前开展工作的地方。
With an incredible team of diverse research assistants, community health workers and volunteers,
我的队伍很出色,我们有多元化的研究助手,社区保健工人和志愿者,
we've been able to partner with over 200 barbershops and other trusted community venues to reach over 7,000 older black men.
我们已经与超过200家理发店以及其他可信的社区场所合作,接触到超过7000名黑人。
And we've offered high blood pressure screening and counseling to each and every one of them.
我们为每个人提供高血压筛查和咨询。
Thanks to Denny Moe and the myriad other barbers and community leaders
谢谢丹尼·摩等众多理发师以及社区领导们
who shared the vision of opportunity and empowerment to make a difference in their communities,
他们也看到了改变社区的机遇和力量。
we've been able to not only lower blood pressure in our participants,
我们不仅降低了项目参与者的血压,
but we've also been able to impact other health indicators.
而且还影响到其他健康指数。
So what do you see? What is your barbershop?
所以,你怎么看?你的“理发店”是什么?
Where is that place for you where people who are affected by a unique problem can meet a unique solution?
你心目中的这个地方是哪里?那个能够为面对独特难题的人们提供独特的解决方式的地方?
When you find that place, seize the opportunity. Thank you.
当你找到那个地方,那就是你的机会。谢谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • communityn. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落
  • measuredadj. 量过的,慎重的,基于标准的,有韵律的 动词me
  • achievev. 完成,达到,实现
  • addressn. 住址,致词,讲话,谈吐,(处理问题的)技巧 vt.
  • promotionn. 晋升,促进,提升
  • appropriateadj. 适当的,相称的 vt. 拨出(款项); 占用
  • cultivatedadj. 栽植的,有教养的 动词cultivate的过去
  • pressuren. 压力,压强,压迫 v. 施压
  • stroken. 笔画,击打,一笔(画)连续的动作,中风, v. 奉
  • professionaladj. 职业的,专业的,专门的 n. 专业人员