为什么最棒的雇员并没有完美的简历?
日期:2017-07-04 13:24

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

Your company launches a search for an open position.
你的公司发布了一个公开招聘的职位。
The applications start rolling in, and the qualified candidates are identified. Now the choosing begins.
申请表开始滚滚而来,合格的候选人已被挑选出来。现在开始挑选。
Person A: Ivy League, 4.0, flawless resume, great recommendations. All the right stuff.
候选人A:常春藤盟校,绩点4.0,完美的履历,出色的推荐信。所有好的要素都具备。
Person B: state school, fair amount of job hopping, and odd jobs like cashier and singing waitress.
候选人B:公立学校毕业,碾转于各种工作之间,甚至包括做收银员和唱歌的服务生。
But remember -- both are qualified. So I ask you: who are you going to pick?
不过请记得--两位都是符合要求的。所以,我要问问你们:你们会选择哪一位?
My colleagues and I created very official terms to describe two distinct categories of candidates.
我和我的同事发明了一些非常正式的术语,来描述这两个不同类别的候选人。
We call A "the Silver Spoon," the one who clearly had advantages and was destined for success.
我们把A称为“含着银钥匙的人”,一个明显具有优势,而且注定会成功的人。
And we call B "the Scrapper," the one who had to fight against tremendous odds to get to the same point.
我们把B称为“拳击手”,必须努力冲破重重难关才能实现同样的目标。
You just heard a human resources director refer to people as Silver Spoons and Scrappers --
你们刚刚听到了一个人力资源总监将应聘者比作银汤匙和拳击手
which is not exactly politically correct and sounds a bit judgmental.
这听起来在政治上不太正确,而且还有些武断。
But before my human resources certification gets revoked -- let me explain.
但在我的人力资源证书被吊销前--让我来解释一下。
A resume tells a story. And over the years, I've learned something about people whose experiences read like a patchwork quilt,
一份简历讲述了一个故事。过去的那些年,我了解到那些经历好似拼布床单的人,
that makes me stop and fully consider them before tossing their resumes away.
会让我在把他们的简历扔掉前会停下来认真地考虑一下他们。
A series of odd jobs may indicate inconsistency, lack of focus, unpredictability.
一系列杂乱的工作可能意味着易变,不专心,难以捉摸。
Or it may signal a committed struggle against obstacles. At the very least, the Scrapper deserves an interview.
或者,它可能标志着努力挣扎跨越障碍。至少,“拳击手”应该得到一次面试机会。
To be clear, I don't hold anything against the Silver Spoon;
不过我要强调一下,我并不排斥“银汤匙”;
getting into and graduating from an elite university takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice.
能够被精英大学录取并顺利毕业,同样需要付出很多心血和牺牲。
But if your whole life has been engineered toward success, how will you handle the tough times?
但是,如果你的一生都被设计为走向成功,你要如何应对困难的时刻呢?
One person I hired felt that because he attended an elite university,
一位我曾经雇用过的人认为,因为他毕业于精英大学,
there were certain assignments that were beneath him, like temporarily doing manual labor to better understand an operation.
某些类型的工作对他而言是低下的,比如短时间从事体力劳动以更好地了解公司运作。
Eventually, he quit. But on the flip side, what happens when your whole life is destined for failure and you actually succeed?
最终,他离开了。但是,另一方面,如果你的人生注定失败,而你却成功了,这是怎么回事呢?
I want to urge you to interview the Scrapper. I know a lot about this because I am a Scrapper.
我会建议你去面试“拳击手”。我很了解这些,因为我自己就是一个“拳击手”。
Before I was born, my father was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, and he couldn't hold a job in spite of his brilliance.
在我出生之前,我的父亲就被诊断为精神分裂症,他无法继续工作尽管他很有才华。
Our lives were one part "Cuckoo's Nest," one part "Awakenings" and one part "A Beautiful Mind."
我们的生活就像“飞越疯人院”,“无语问苍天”,和“美丽心灵”的合集。
I'm the fourth of five children raised by a single mother in a rough neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York.
我是一位单身母亲五个孩子中的第四个,我们在纽约布鲁克林一个混乱的街区生活。
We never owned a home, a car, a washing machine, and for most of my childhood, we didn't even have a telephone.
我们从未拥有过一个家,一辆车,或是一个洗衣机,在我童年的大部分时间,我们甚至没有一部电话。
So I was highly motivated to understand the relationship between business success and Scrappers,
因此我有很强的意愿去理解生意场的成功和“拳击手”的关联,
because my life could easily have turned out very differently.
因为我的人生很容易就会发展出不同的结局。
As I met successful business people and read profiles of high-powered leaders, I noticed some commonality.
我见过成功的商人,也阅读过具备出色领导能力的人的资料,我发现了其中的一些共性。
Many of them had experienced early hardships, anywhere from poverty, abandonment,
他们中的很多人经历过早年的困顿,可能是贫穷,被抛弃,
death of a parent while young, to learning disabilities, alcoholism and violence.
亲人的早逝,也可能是学习障碍,酗酒和暴力。
The conventional thinking has been that trauma leads to distress, and there's been a lot of focus on the resulting dysfunction.
传统的思维认为创伤会导致痛苦,而且还重点强调了失败的结果。
But during studies of dysfunction, data revealed an unexpected insight:
但在我研究这些不成功的案例期间,得到的数据却揭示了一个出乎意料的结论:
that even the worst circumstances can result in growth and transformation.
即便是最糟的境遇也能导致成长和转变。
A remarkable and counterintuitive phenomenon has been discovered, which scientists call Post Traumatic Growth.
一个显著但有悖常理的现象已经被发现了,科学家们称之为“创后成长”。
In one study designed to measure the effects of adversity on children at risk,
在一项设计用来衡量逆境对困苦的孩子会产生怎样影响的研究表明,
among a subset of 698 children who experienced the most severe and extreme conditions,
在698位参与测试的孩子,在经历了最艰苦严苛的考验后,
fully one-third grew up to lead healthy, successful and productive lives.
他们中的三分之一长大后获得了健康、成功以及丰富的人生。

为什么最棒的雇员并没有完美的简历?

In spite of everything and against tremendous odds, they succeeded. One-third.
尽管经历了巨大的艰难,但最后还是成功了。有三分之一这么多。
Take this resume. This guy's parents give him up for adoption. He never finishes college.
看看这份简历。他被亲生父母抛弃,交由他人收养。
He job-hops quite a bit, goes on a sojourn to India for a year, and to top it off, he has dyslexia.
他没有完成大学学业。他在某段时期频繁跳槽,在印度逗留了一年,不止如此,他还有阅读障碍。
Would you hire this guy? His name is Steve Jobs.
你会雇用他吗?他的名字是史蒂夫·乔布斯。
In a study of the world's most highly successful entrepreneurs, it turns out a disproportionate number have dyslexia.
一个对全球最成功企业家群体的研究表明,相当数量的企业家有阅读障碍。
In the US, 35 percent of the entrepreneurs studied had dyslexia.
在美国,35%的企业家有阅读障碍。
What's remarkable -- among those entrepreneurs who experience post traumatic growth,
值得注意的是--这些企业家中那些经历过创后成长的人,
they now view their learning disability as a desirable difficulty which provided them an advantage
成功后的他们将这样的学习障碍看作是值得经历的困难,这样的困难给予了他们优势,
because they became better listeners and paid greater attention to detail.
他们因此成为更好的听众,并且更加关注细节。
They don't think they are who they are in spite of adversity, they know they are who they are because of adversity.
他们在经历逆境前,并没有看到自己的潜力,而因为逆境,他们准确地定位了自己。
They embrace their trauma and hardships as key elements of who they've become,
他们拥抱伤害和困顿,这是他们成为成功企业家的关键要素,
and know that without those experiences, they might not have developed the muscle and grit required to become successful.
他们知道,如果没有这些经历,他们也许没有办法发展出成功者需要具备的勇气和毅力。
One of my colleagues had his life completely upended as a result of the Chinese Cultural Revolution in 1966.
我有一位同事,因为中国1966年的文化大革命,他的人生彻底颠覆了。
At age 13, his parents were relocated to the countryside,
在他13岁那年,他的父母被下放农村,
the schools were closed and he was left alone in Beijing to fend for himself until 16, when he got a job in a clothing factory.
学校关闭了,而他独自在北京谋生,直到16岁,他在服装厂找到了一份工作。
But instead of accepting his fate, he made a resolution that he would continue his formal education.
与其接受命运,他决心不如继续完成学业。
Eleven years later, when the political landscape changed, he heard about a highly selective university admissions test.
11年后,政治版图改变了,他听说了一个竞争相当激烈的大学入学考试。
He had three months to learn the entire curriculum of middle and high school.
他只有3个月来学习整个初中以及高中的课程。
So, every day he came home from the factory, took a nap, studied until 4am,
于是,每天他从工厂回家后,先睡一小觉,然后学习到凌晨四点,
went back to work and repeated this cycle every day for three months. He did it, he succeeded.
回去工厂工作,就这样日复一日过了整整三个月。他做到了,他成功了。
His commitment to his education was unwavering, and he never lost hope.
他继续求学的决心非常坚定,也从未放弃希望。
Today, he holds a master's degree, and his daughters each have degrees from Cornell and Harvard.
今天,他拥有了硕士学位,他的两个女儿则分别毕业于康奈尔大学和哈佛大学。
Scrappers are propelled by the belief that the only person you have full control over is yourself.
“拳击手”被信念推动向前进,相信只有自己才能掌握自己的命运。
When things don't turn out well, Scrappers ask, "What can I do differently to create a better result?"
当事情发展并不尽如人意,“拳击手”会问,“我能做些什么别的来创造一个更好的结果?”
Scrappers have a sense of purpose that prevents them from giving up on themselves,
“拳击手”有目标意识,永不放弃自己,
kind of like if you've survived poverty, a crazy father and several muggings, you figure,
如果你从贫穷,疯狂的父亲和数次被抢劫的经历中存活下来,你会觉得,
"Business challenges? -- Really? Piece of cake. I got this." And that reminds me -- humor.
“商业挑战?--这还算事儿吗?太简单了。我能搞定。”这不禁让我想起--幽默感。
Scrappers know that humor gets you through the tough times, and laughter helps you change your perspective.
“拳击手”知道,幽默能够帮你度过最艰难的时刻,嘲笑你的人会帮助你改变对未来的看法。
And finally, there are relationships. People who overcome adversity don't do it alone.
最后,还有人际关系。那些克服困难的人并非一直单打独斗。
Somewhere along the way, they find people who bring out the best in them and who are invested in their success.
奋斗过程中的某时某刻,他们会遇到伯乐,以及在他们成功的道路上倾囊相助的人。
Having someone you can count on no matter what is essential to overcoming adversity.
不管发生什么事,总有一个人可以依靠,这是克服困境的关键。
I was lucky. In my first job after college, I didn't have a car,
我很幸运。得到大学毕业后的第一份工作时,我还没有车,
so I carpooled across two bridges with a woman who was the president's assistant.
所以我与人拼车,跨越两座桥去上班,那位女士当时还是总统助理。
She watched me work and encouraged me to focus on my future and not dwell on my past.
她看到我工作,并鼓励我放眼未来,不要老是想着过去。
Along the way I've met many people who've provided me brutally honest feedback, advice and mentorship.
一路走来我遇到了很多人,让我懂得了忠言逆耳,他们都是我的良师益友。
These people don't mind that I once worked as a singing waitress to help pay for college.
这些人并不在意我曾经是个为了支付上大学的开销而唱歌打工的女服务生。
I'll leave you with one final, valuable insight.
最后再分享一个有价值的见解。
Companies that are committed to diversity and inclusive practices tend to support Scrappers and outperform their peers.
那些致力于多样化和包容开放行为的公司更愿意去支持“拳击手”,让他们比同辈更出色。
According to DiversityInc, a study of their top 50 companies for diversity outperformed the S&P 500 by 25 percent.
《多元化企业》杂志的一项研究表明,最多元化的50家企业的运营表现超越了标准普尔500指数25%。
So back to my original question. Who are you going to bet on: Silver Spoon or Scrapper?
那么回到我最初的问题。你会将赌注放在谁身上:“银汤匙”还是“拳击手”?
I say choose the underestimated contender, whose secret weapons are passion and purpose. Hire the Scrapper.
我会选择被低估的竞争者,他/她的秘密武器是激情和决心。请雇用“拳击手”。

分享到