美丽新世界Brave New World(MP3+中英字幕) 第17章(8)
日期:2016-12-16 11:08

(单词翻译:单击)

"You'd have a reason for chastity!" said the Savage, blushing a little as he spoke the words.
“你们有理由需要贞操!”野蛮人说,说时有点脸红了。
But chastity means passion, chastity means neurasthenia.
但是贞操意味着激情,意味着产生神经衰弱
And passion and neurasthenia mean instability. And instability means the end of civilization.
而激情和神经衰弱却意味着不安定;从而意味着文明的毁灭。
You can't have a lasting civilization without plenty of pleasant vices.
没有大量风流罪过就不可能有持久的文明。
But God's the reason for everything noble and fine and heroic. If you had a God …
但是上帝是产生一切高贵、善良和英勇的东西的原因。如果你们有上帝的话……
"My dear young friend," said Mustapha Mond, civilization has absolutely no need of nobility or heroism.
“亲爱的年轻朋友,”穆斯塔法.蒙德说,文明绝对不需要什么高贵和英雄主义。
These things are symptoms of political inefficiency.
这类东西都是没有政治效率的病症。
In a properly organized society like ours, nobody has any opportunities for being noble or heroic.
在我们这样的有合理组织的社会里,没有人有机会表现高贵或英勇。
Conditions have got to be thoroughly unstable before the occasion can arise.
这种机会只能够在环境完全混乱时出现:
Where there are wars, where there are divided allegiances, where there are temptations to be resisted,
在战争的时候,在派别分化的时候,在需要抵制诱惑的时候,

美丽新世界.jpg


objects of love to be fought for or defended–there, obviously, nobility and heroism have some sense.
在争夺或保卫爱的对象的时候——显然,在那种时候高贵和英雄主义才会有点意义。
But there aren't any wars nowadays.
可是现在是没有战争的。
The greatest care is taken to prevent you from loving any one too much.
我们为防止对某一个对象爱得太深,做出了极大的努力。
There's no such thing as a divided allegiance; you're so conditioned that you can't help doing what you ought to do.
我们这里没有派别分化这个东西。你的条件设置又让你忍不住要做你应该做的事;
And what you ought to do is on the whole so pleasant, so many of the natural impulses are allowed free play,
而你应该做的事总体说来又是非常愉快的,能够让你任意发泄你的种种自然冲动,
that there really aren't any temptations to resist.
实际上不存在需要你去抵抗的诱惑。
And if ever, by some unlucky chance, anything unpleasant should somehow happen,
即使由于某种不幸的意外确实出现了不愉快的事情,
why, there's always soma to give you a holiday from the facts.
那好,还有唆麻让你远离现实去度唆麻假;
And there's always soma to calm your anger, to reconcile you to your enemies, to make you patient and long-suffering.
永远有唆麻可以平息你的怒气,让你跟敌人和解,让你忍耐,让你长期承受痛苦。

分享到