经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第86期
日期:2016-05-19 15:16

(单词翻译:单击)

I went to my window, opened it, and looked out.
我走向窗子,把它打开,往外眺望。
There were the two wings of the building;
我看见了大楼的两翼。
There was the garden; there were the skirts of Lowood;
看见了花园,看见了罗沃德的边缘。
There was the hilly horizon.
看见了山峦起伏的地平线。
My eye passed all other objects to rest on those most remote, the blue peaks.
我的目光越过了其他东西,落在那些最遥远的蓝色山峰上。
It was those I longed to surmount;
正是那些山峰,我渴望去攀登。
All within their boundary of rock and heath seemed prison-ground, exile limits.
荒凉不堪岩石嶙峋的边界之内,仿佛是囚禁地,是放逐的极限。
I traced the white road winding round the base of one mountain, and vanishing in a gorge between two;
我跟踪那条白色的路蜿蜒着绕过一座山的山脚,消失在两山之间的峡谷之中。
How I longed to follow it farther!
我多么希望继续跟着它往前走啊!

经典名著 简爱

I recalled the time when I had travelled that very road in a coach;
我忆起了我乘着马车沿着那条路走的日子。
I remembered descending that hill at twilight;
我记得在薄暮中驶下了山。
An age seemed to have elapsed since the day which brought me first to Lowood, and I had never quitted it since.
自从我被第一次带到罗沃德时起,仿佛一个世纪己经过去,但我从来没有离开过这里。
My vacations had all been spent at school:
假期都是在学校里度过的。
Mrs. Reed had never sent for me to Gateshead;
里德太太从来没有把我接到盖茨黑德去过。
Neither she nor any of her family had ever been to visit me.
不管是她本人,还是家里的其他人,从未来看过我。
I had had no communication by letter or message with the outer world:
我与外部世界既没有书信往来,也不通消息。
School-rules, school-duties, school-habits and notions, and voices, and faces, and phrases, and costumes, and preferences, and antipathies — such was what I knew of existence.
学校的规定、任务、习惯、观念、音容、语言、服饰、好恶,就是我所知道的生活内容。
And now I felt that it was not enough;
而如今我觉得这很不够。
I tired of the routine of eight years in one afternoon.
一个下午之间,我对八年的常规生活突然感到厌倦了。
I desired liberty; for liberty I gasped; for liberty I uttered a prayer.
我憧憬自由,我渴望自由,我为自由作了一个祷告。
It seemed scattered on the wind then faintly blowing.
这祈祷似乎被驱散,融入了微风之中。
I abandoned it and framed a humbler supplication; for change, stimulus:
我放弃了祈祷,设想了一个更谦卑的祈求,祈求变化,祈求刺激。
That petition, too, seemed swept off into vague space: "Then," I cried, half desperate, "grant me at least a new servitude!"
而这恳求似乎也被吹进了浩茫的宇宙。“那么”,我近乎绝望地叫道,“至少赐予我一种新的苦役吧!”
Here a bell, ringing the hour of supper, called me downstairs.
这时,晚饭铃响了,把我召唤到了楼下。
I was not free to resume the interrupted chain of my reflections till bedtime.
直到睡觉的时候,我才有空继续那被打断了的沉思。
Even then a teacher who occupied the same room with me kept me from the subject to which I longed to recur, by a prolonged effusion of small talk.
即便在那时,同房间的一位教师还絮絮叨叨闲聊了好久,使我没法回到我所渴望的问题上。
How I wished sleep would silence her.
我多么希望瞌睡会使她闭上嘴巴!
It seemed as if, could I but go back to the idea which had last entered my mind as I stood at the window, some inventive suggestion would rise for my relief.
仿佛只要我重新思考伫立窗前时闪过脑际的念头,某个独特的想法便会自己冒出来,使我得以解脱似的。
Miss Gryce snored at last;
格丽丝小姐终于打瞌了。
She was a heavy Welshwoman, and till now her habitual nasal strains had never been regarded by me in any other light than as a nuisance.
她是一位笨重的威尔士女人,在此之前我对她惯常的鼻音曲除了认为讨厌,没有别的看法。
Tonight I hailed the first deep notes with satisfaction.
而今晚我满意地迎来了它最初的深沉曲调。
I was debarrassed of interruption. My half-effaced thought instantly revived.
我免除了打扰,心中那抹去了一半的想法又立刻复活了。

分享到
重点单词
  • servituden. 苦役,奴役 n. [法]役劝
  • resumev. 再继续,重新开始 n. 简历,履历; 摘要
  • boundaryn. 分界线,边界
  • prayern. 祈祷,祷告,祷文 v. 祷告,祷文
  • petitionn. 祈求,请愿书,诉状 vi. 请愿,祈求 vt. 向
  • gorgen. 峡谷,狭窄入口,饱食,咽喉,大量的食物 vt. 暴
  • habitualadj. 惯常的,习惯的
  • interruptionn. 打岔,中断
  • coachn. 大巴,教练;(火车)客车车厢,四轮马车,经济舱 v
  • routinen. 例行公事,常规,无聊 adj. 常规的,例行的,乏