吹小号的天鹅(MP3+中英字幕) 第76期:费城(5)
日期:2016-04-01 13:42

(单词翻译:单击)

"Very well," said Mr. Lucas. "And now there is one other small matter I must bring to your attention.
“很好,”卢卡斯先生说。“现在我要再请你注意一件小事情。
Most of the birds that swim on this luxury lagoon have undergone surgery.
游在这个豪华的湖上的多数鸟儿都被动过外科手术。
Candor compels me to tell you that the tip of one wing is usually removed by the management
坦率迫使我告诉你,鸟儿的一只翅膀尖端的骨节常常都被管理员剪掉了
a painless operation, popular with zoos the world over.
这是一个无痛苦的手术,在全世界的动物园里都很流行。
"Pinioned" is the word for it, I believe.
这种手术叫‘打尖’,我相信是这样。
It detains the water bird and prevents him from leaving the narrow confines of this public park and rising into the air,
这就能使水鸟只能留在公园这个小圈子里,不会飞到天上去啦,
because when one wing is shorter than the other, the balance of the bird is upset.
因为当一只翅膀变得比另一只短时,鸟儿就会失去平衡的。
His attempt to take off would be crowned with failure. In short, he can't fly.
这样一来他企图飞走的尝试就只能以失败告终了。简而言之,他飞不起来啦。
Sensing in advance the revulsion you would feel toward having the tip of one of your powerful wings removed,
预感到你会对一只有力的翅膀被剪掉尖端的事感到厌恶,
I approached the Man in Charge of Birds and laid before him a proposition.
我事先早已找过鸟类负责人,对他提了一个建议。

吹小号的天鹅

He has agreed not to clip your wing. It is arranged. He is a man of honor.
他同意不剪你的翅膀了。这事儿已经说定了。他是一个守信的人。
Your freedom of movement is assured. You will not be pinioned.
你的来去自由也得到了保障。你不会被打尖的。
But in return for this so great favor on the part of the management of the Philadelphia Zoo,
不过为了报答费城的动物园管理部门给你的莫大恩惠,
you are to give a free concert here at the lake every Sunday afternoon for the people of Philadelphia,
你必须在每星期日的下午在这湖上给费城市民
the peasantry, who come here to refresh themselves. Is it a deal?"
以及来这里提神的老农们开一场免费的音乐会。就这么说定了?”
"Yes," wrote Louis. "Will give Sunday concert."
“好的,”路易斯写,“我将举办星期日音乐会。”
"Good!" said Mr. Lucas. "Farewell for the nonce!
“好极了!”卢卡斯先生说,“暂时再见吧!
Be at the North Entrance at nine! October fifteen. A cab will await you. Play well, Sweet Swan!
九点在北门等!十月十五号。一辆出租车将等着你,好好吹,可爱的天鹅!
You will be the finest thing that has happened to Philadelphia since the Constitutional Convention of 1787."
你将是自1787年召开美国制宪会议以来费城出现过的最棒的东西。”

分享到
重点单词
  • movementn. 活动,运动,移动,[音]乐章
  • popularadj. 流行的,大众的,通俗的,受欢迎的
  • luxuryn. 奢侈,豪华,奢侈品
  • candorn. 坦白;直率
  • concertn. 音乐会,一致,和谐 vt. 制定计划,通过协商达成
  • assuredadj. 确实的,保障的,有自信的 动词assure的过
  • clipn. 夹子,钳,回形针,弹夹 n. 修剪,(羊毛的)剪下
  • conventionn. 大会,协定,惯例,公约
  • upsetadj. 心烦的,苦恼的,不安的 v. 推翻,翻倒,扰乱
  • surgeryn. 外科,外科手术,诊所