经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第36期
日期:2015-11-25 15:57

(单词翻译:单击)

Chapter 05
第五章

Five o' clock had hardly struck on the morning of the 19th of January,
一月十九日早晨,还没到五点钟
when Bessie brought a candle into my closet and found me already up and nearly dressed.
贝茜就端了蜡烛来到我房间,看见我己经起身,并差不多梳理完毕。
I had risen half-an-hour before her entrance, and had washed my face,
她进来之前半小时,我就已起床,我借着月光洗了脸。
and put on my clothes by the light of a half-moon just setting, whose rays streamed through the narrow window near my crib.
一轮半月正在下沉、月光从床边狭窄的窗户泻进房间,穿好了衣服。
I was to leave Gateshead that day by a coach which passed the lodge gates at six a. m. .
那天我就要离开盖茨黑德,乘坐早晨六点钟经过院子门口的马车。
Bessie was the only person yet risen.
只有贝茜己经起来了。
She had lit a fire in the nursery, where she now proceeded to make my breakfast.
她在保育室里生了火,这会儿正动手给我做早饭。

经典文学《简·爱》

Few children can eat when excited with the thoughts of a journey. Nor could I.
孩子们想到出门而兴奋不已,是很少能吃得下饭的,我也是如此。
Bessie, having pressed me in vain to take a few spoonfuls of the boiled milk and bread she had prepared for me,
贝茜硬劝我吃几口为我准备的热牛奶和面包,
wrapped up some biscuits in a paper and put them into my bag.
但白费工夫,只得用纸包了些饼干,塞进了我兜里。
Then she helped me on with my pelisse and bonnet, and wrapping herself in a shawl, she and I left the nursery.
随后她帮我穿上长外衣,戴上宽边帽,又用披巾把她自己包裹好,两人便离开了保育室。
As we passed Mrs. Reed's bedroom, she said, "Will you go in and bid Missis good-bye?"
经过里德太太卧房时,她说:"想进去同太太说声再见吗。"
"No, Bessie. She came to my crib last night when you were gone down to supper,
"算啦,贝茜,昨天晚上你下楼去吃晚饭的时候,
and said I need not disturb her in the morning, or my cousins either.
她走到我床边,说是早晨我不必打搅她或表妹们了。
And she told me to remember that she had always been my best friend, and to speak of her and be grateful to her accordingly."
她让我记住,她永远是我最好的朋友,让我以后这么谈起她,对她感激万分。"
"What did you say, Miss?"
"你怎么回答她呢,小姐?"
"Nothing. I covered my face with the bedclothes, and turned from her to the wall."
"我什么也没说,只是用床单蒙住脸,转过身去对着墙壁。"
"That was wrong, Miss Jane."
"那就是你的不是了,简小姐。"
"It was quite right, Bessie. Your Missis has not been my friend. She has been my foe."
"我做得很对,贝茜。你的太太向来不是我的朋友,她是我的敌人。"
"O Miss Jane! don't say so!"
"简小姐!别这样说!"
"Good-bye to Gateshead!" cried I, as we passed through the hall and went out at the front door.
"再见了盖茨黑德!"我路过大厅走出前门时说。
The moon was set, and it was very dark.
月亮已经下沉,天空一片漆黑。
Bessie carried a lantern, whose light glanced on wet steps and gravel road sodden by a recent thaw.
贝茜打着灯,灯光闪烁在刚刚解冻而湿漉漉的台阶和砂石路上。
Raw and chill was the winter morning.
冬天的清晨阴湿寒冷。
My teeth chattered as I hastened down the drive.
我匆匆沿着车道走去,牙齿直打哆棘。
There was a light in the porter's lodge.
看门人的卧室亮着灯光。
When we reached it, we found the porter's wife just kindling her fire.
到了那里,只见他妻子正在生火。
My trunk, which had been carried down the evening before, stood corded at the door.
前一天晚上我的箱子就已经拿下楼,捆好绳子放在门边。
It wanted but a few minutes of six, and shortly after that hour had struck, the distant roll of wheels announced the coming coach.
这时离六点还差几分。不一会钟响了,远处传来辚辚的车声,宣告马车已经到来。
I went to the door and watched its lamps approach rapidly through the gloom.
我走到门边,凝望着车灯迅速冲破黑暗,渐渐靠近。
"Is she going by herself?" asked the porter's wife.
"她一个人走吗?"门房的妻子问。
"Yes."
"是呀。"
"And how far is it?"
"离这儿多远?"
"Fifty miles."
"五十英里。"
"What a long way! I wonder Mrs. Reed is not afraid to trust her so far alone."
多远啊!真奇怪,里德太太竟让她一个人走得那么远,却一点也不担心。"

分享到
重点单词
  • portern. 搬运工,门房,(火车卧铺车厢或豪华车厢的)乘务员,
  • announced宣布的
  • reedn. 芦苇,芦笛,簧片 Reed:里德(姓氏)
  • gratefuladj. 感激的,感谢的
  • minutesn. 会议记录,(复数)分钟
  • settingn. 安装,放置,周围,环境,(为诗等谱写的)乐曲 动词
  • disturbv. 扰乱,妨碍,使 ... 不安
  • soddenadj. 浑身湿透的,没煮透的,呆头呆脑的 v. (使)
  • coachn. 大巴,教练;(火车)客车车厢,四轮马车,经济舱 v
  • candlen. 蜡烛