双语畅销书《我是马拉拉》第25章:尾声(7)
日期:2018-03-08 11:00

(单词翻译:单击)

I describe life in England to Moniba.
我把在英国的生活讲给莫妮巴听。
I tell her of the streets with rows of identical houses,
我告诉她这里街道上的房子都长一个样,
unlike home, where everything is different and higgledy-piggledy and a shack of mud and stones can stand next to a house as big as a castle.
不像老家那边家家户户的外观都不同、毫无章法,房子旁边用泥巴和石头搭起来的棚子可能跟城堡一样硕大。
I tell her how they are lovely solid houses which could withstand floods and earthquakes but have no flat roofs to play on.
我告诉她,这里的房子美观而又坚固,可以承受水灾或地震,但也少了一个能爬上去玩的平坦屋顶。
I tell her I like England because people follow rules, they respect policemen and everything happens on time.
我告诉她我喜欢英国,因为大家都奉公守法,人们尊敬警察,每一件事情都遵照时间表进行。
The government is in charge and no one needs to know the name of the army chief.
政府负责打理一切,没有人需要知道军方的负责人叫什么名字。
I see women having jobs we couldn't imagine in Swat.
这里的女性做各种各样的工作,是我们在斯瓦特无法想象的:
They are police and security guards; they run big companies and dress exactly as they like.
她们可能是警察或保安,她们也可能掌管大企业,她们想穿什么就穿什么。
I don't often think about the shooting, though every day when I look in the mirror it is a reminder.
我不常想起枪击事件。但每天,只要照镜子,我就会看到那起事件留在我身上的烙印。
The nerve operation has done as much as it can.
神经手术已经发挥了它最大的作用,
I will never be exactly the same.
但是,我还是永远不会跟以前一模一样了。
I can't blink fully and my left eye closes a lot when I speak.
我无法将眼睛完全闭拢;当我说话时,左眼经常不受控制地合上。
My father's friend Hidayatullah told him we should be proud of my eye.
父亲的朋友希达亚图拉告诉他,大家应该以我的左眼为荣。
'It's the beauty of her sacrifice,' he said.
“这是她自我牺牲留下的印记。”他这样说。

分享到
重点单词
  • withstandvt. 对抗,经得起,承受
  • blinkvi. 眨眼,闪烁,屈服,视若无睹 vt. 使眨眼,尽力
  • identicaladj. 相同的,同一的
  • describevt. 描述,画(尤指几何图形),说成
  • securityn. 安全,防护措施,保证,抵押,债券,证券
  • remindern. 提醒物,提示
  • castlen. 城堡 v. 置于城堡中,(棋)移动王车易位
  • sacrificen. 牺牲,供俸,祭品 vt. 牺牲,祭祀,贱卖 vi.