Gay Marriage Up 70% in US Since Legalization
Same-sex marriages now make up a half a million American households, five years after the Supreme Court legalized such relationships.
The U.S. Census Bureau reported last week that the number of married same-sex households has increased by almost 70 percent since 2014. The numbers are based on the Census Bureau's American Community Survey.
The survey found that about 980,000 households in the country belong to same-sex couples. It showed 58 percent, or a little more than 586,000, as married. The other 42 percent lived together outside of marriage.
There were more female couple households than male couple households, but not by a lot. Gary Gates, is a demographer specializing in LGBT issues. He said, "Opponents of marriage equality frequently argued that same-sex couples really weren't all that interested in marriage. But the large increase in marriages among same-sex couples since marriage equality became legal nationwide offers evidence of the clear desire for marriage among same-sex couples."
The survey showed noticeable economic differences between male couples and female couples, as well as same-sex couples and opposite-sex couples.
The study found that same-sex married couples generally earned more money, with average earnings of about $107,000 a year. That compares to almost $97,000 for opposite-sex couples. Among same-sex marriages, male couples earned more than female couples -- $123,646 compared to $87,690.
The research also found that same-sex married households were more likely to be in the workforce than opposite-sex married households -- 84.6 percent compared to 80.4 percent.
The study showed married women in same-sex households were much more likely to be working than married women in opposite-sex households. But married men in same-sex households were less likely to be working than married men in opposite-sex ones.
Gates said, "While most research that gay and bisexual men, on average, do not earn more than their comparable heterosexual male counterparts, that research also shows that they tend to earn more than lesbian and bisexual women."
Separate survey results also released Thursday show that almost 15 percent of same-sex couples had at least one child under the age of 18. The same is true of a little more than 48 percent of opposite-sex couples.
Of the nearly 300,000 children living in homes with same-sex couples, 66 percent were children of both partners, compared to 95 percent for opposite-sex couples, reports the Census Bureau's Current Population Survey.
The District of Columbia had the greatest concentration of same-sex households. In the nation's capital, about 2.4 percent of households are same-sex households. The nearby state of Delaware followed, with 1.3 percent. The states of Oregon, Massachusetts and Washington came next, all a little over one percent, the survey found.
In the survey, more than 16 percent of same-sex married households were interracial couples, double the rate for opposite-sex married couples.
The U.S. had 122 million households in 2019. The number of gay and lesbian couples in the country is greater than 980,000 since that number only represented same-sex households.
The 2019 American Community Survey for the first time included updated relationship identifications that better captured the number and qualities of same-sex households in the United States.
I'm Caty Weaver.
Computers have become household toys.
2.survey n. 调查
The survey has a margin of error of 2.5%.
The child's same-sex parent acts as a role model.
Tiredness affects your powers of concentration.
5.Same-sex marriages now make up a half a million American households.
make up 组成
We'll make up a new family like this!
These nine planets, together with the sun, make up what is called our solar system.
6.The 2019 American Community Survey for the first time included updated relationship identifications.
for the first time 第一次
For the first time in my career, I was failing.
The airport road is passable today for the first time in a week.
上周美国人口普查局报告称，自2014年以来，已婚同性家庭的数量增加了近70% 。这一数字是基于人口普查局的美国社区的调查 。
调查发现，美国约98万户家庭属于同性伴侣 。调查显示，其中58%——略高于58.6万人已婚 。另外42%的人则属于婚前同居 。
女性同性家庭比男性同性家庭多，但差距并不明显 。盖瑞·盖茨（Gary Gates）是专门研究同性恋问题的人口统计学家 。他表示：“反对婚姻平等的人经常争辩称，同性伴侣对婚姻并不是很感兴趣 。但是，自从婚姻平等在全国范围内合法化以来，同性伴侣之间的婚姻大幅增加，证明了同性伴侣十分渴望婚姻 。”
研究发现，同性已婚夫妇的收入普遍较高，平均年收入约为10.7万美元 。相比之下，异性伴侣的收入接近9.7万美元 。在同性婚姻中，男性同性夫妇的收入比女性同性夫妇高，分别为12,3646美元和8,7690美元 。
研究显示，同性家庭中的已婚女性比异性家庭中的已婚女性更有可能处于工作状态 。但是同性家庭中的已婚男性比异性家庭中的已婚男性工作的可能性要小 。
周四公布的另一项调查结果显示，近15%的同性伴侣至少有一个18岁以下的孩子 。而超过48%的异性伴侣也是如此 。
哥伦比亚特区是同性家庭最为集中的地区 。在首都，大约2.4%的家庭是同性家庭 。附近的特拉华州紧随其后，比例为1.3% 。调查发现，排在后面的分别为俄勒冈州、马萨诸塞州和华盛顿州，都略高于1% 。
2019年美国有1.22亿个家庭 。而美国同性恋夫妇的数量会超过98万——这一数字只代表同性家庭 。