Weinstein Faces New Charges in LA as Trial Begins in New York
Prosecutors in Los Angeles, California, have brought new sex abuse charges against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein. The charges were announced Monday, the same day that his trial for rape and sexual assault began in New York City.
In Los Angeles, Weinstein is charged with raping one woman and sexually assaulting another in 2013. Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey said in a statement that evidence will show that Weinstein used his power to "commit violent crimes" against his victims.
Weinstein appeared Monday in a Manhattan courthouse with his lawyers and security guards. There, he faced charges of raping a woman in a hotel room in 2013 and sexually assaulting another woman in 2006.
It was over two years ago that The New Yorker magazine and The New York Times first published accusations of sexual abuse against Weinstein. Since then, more than 75 women have publicly said Weinstein raped or sexually abused them in the past.
The accusations against Weinstein would lead to the #MeToo movement. Hundreds of women -- many from Hollywood -- made public accusations of sexual wrongdoing against well-known, powerful men.
The 67-year-old Weinstein says he is not guilty of the charges he faces in New York. He says any sexual activity was consensual. If he is found guilty of the most serious charges against him – predatory sexual assault -- he faces a life sentence in prison.
For that to happen, prosecutors must demonstrate that Weinstein violated women repeatedly through the years. Prosecutors plan to have actor Annabella Sciorra answer questions during the trial. Sciorra says Weinstein forced his way inside her Manhattan home in 1993 or 1994 and raped her. She was making a movie for his production company at the time.
Prosecutors also want jurors to hear from some of the other 75 women during the trial.
Donna Rotunno is Weinstein's lawyer. She says she will ask hard questions of the women who have made accusations.
On Tuesday, prosecutors and defense lawyers will begin trying to seat a fair jury. It could take several weeks because of the amount of publicity the case has received.
Possible jurors "may think, ‘I want to be the one to make sure he goes to jail,'" said Roy Futterman, a New York jury expert. He added that other possible jurors may not like the #MeToo movement and want to help Weinstein.
Weinstein and his brother Bob started their production company in 1979. The company was first called Miramax and later The Weinstein Company. It produced famous movies such as Pulp Fiction, The English Patient and Shakespeare in Love. The company says it fired Weinstein in 2017.
In December, the bankrupt company reached a $25-million agreement with many women who have accused Weinstein of sexual abuse.
I'm Susan Shand.
1.sexual abuse 性侵指控
Among the issues are forced marriage, sexual abuse and, poverty and a lack of education.
2.defense lawyers 辩护律师
Defense lawyers claim Jackson gave himself the fatal dose after his doctor left the room.
3.life sentence 无期徒刑
He died of heart failure in 1971, while serving a life sentence.
4.hard questions 尖锐的问题
Few of the students can answer such hard questions.
5.Since then, more than 75 women have publicly said Weinstein raped or sexually abused them in the past.
Since then 自那时以来
Since then he has been drawing a pension.
The mechanics of the job, however, have changed little since then.
6.Since then, more than 75 women have publicly said Weinstein raped or sexually abused them in the past.
in the past 过去
My children have wounded me in the past.
In the past this process of transition has often proven difficult.
加州洛杉矶的检察官对好莱坞制片人哈维·韦恩斯坦（Harvey Weinstein）提出了新的性虐待指控 。这些指控是周一宣布的，同日，纽约市开始对其强奸和性侵指控进行审判 。
在洛杉矶，韦恩斯坦被控于2013年强奸一名女性并对另一名女性实施性侵犯 。洛杉矶县地方检察官莱西在一份声明中称，有证据显示，韦恩斯坦利用权力对受害者“犯下暴力罪行” 。
韦恩斯坦周一与他的律师和保安出现在曼哈顿法院 。在那里，他面临着2013年在酒店房间强奸一名女性和2006年性侵另一名女性的指控 。
两年前，《纽约客》(The New Yorker)杂志和《纽约时报》(New York Times)首次刊登了针对韦恩斯坦的性侵指控 。此后，超过75名女性公开表示，曾遭到韦恩斯坦的强奸或性侵 。
对韦恩斯坦的指控将引发“Me Too”运动 。数百名女性——其中有多名好莱坞女星——公开指控有权势的知名男性存在不当性行为 。
67岁的韦恩斯坦表示，他在纽约面临的指控是无罪的 。他说，任何性行为都是两厢情愿的 。如果被判犯有最严重的性侵犯罪，他将面临终身监禁 。
要做到这一点，检察官必须证明韦恩斯坦多年来多次侵犯女性 。检察官计划让演员安娜贝拉·西奥拉在审判期间作证 。西奥拉称，韦恩斯坦在1993年或1994年强行进入她位于曼哈顿的家，并强奸了她 。当时她正在为他的制作公司制作一部电影 。
唐娜·罗通诺（Donna Rotunno）是韦恩斯坦的律师 。她说，她将对那些提出指控的妇女提出尖锐的问题 。
周二，检察官和辩护律师将开始尝试组建一个公正的陪审团 。由于该案件已经获得了大量的关注，可能需要几周的时间 。
纽约陪审团专家罗伊·福特曼(Roy Futterman)称，陪审员们“可能会这么想，‘我想让他进监狱 。’”他补充说，其他的陪审员可能反感“Me Too”运动，想帮助韦恩斯坦脱罪 。
韦恩斯坦和他的兄弟鲍勃在1979年创办了他们的制作公司 。该公司最初被称为米拉麦克斯，后来改名为韦恩斯坦公司 。该公司制作了著名的电影，如《低俗小说》、《英国病人》和《莎翁情史》 。该公司表示，2017年解除了韦恩斯坦的职务 。