新冠三年你过得怎么样?(4)
日期:2022-08-24 12:25

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I'll give you an example, I mention it in the book.

让我举个我书中提到的例子。

There was a moment, my parents were in jail.

有一段时期,我父母在牢里。

I'm 21 years old, I have to leave school.

当时二十一岁的我,必须离开学校。

I'm taking care of my grandparents, my grandmothers, who used to live with me. I'm an only child.

我要照顾祖母和外婆,她们以前和我同住,我是唯一的孩子。

I have to care of the family business, I have to pay the lawyer.

我得处理家里的事业,我得付律师费。

It's post-9/11, my community turns vicious and cruel.

那时是911事件之后,我的社区变得很恶毒和残酷。

Bad news travels fast, ladies and gentlemen, bad news travels fast.

各位先生女士,坏事传千里。

I'm surgical with my budget.

我的预算做得超精准。

I have an Excel sheet.

我有张 Excel 表格。

I've got to pay all the bills.

我得支付所有的帐单。

According to my Excel sheet, after I withdrew the 20 dollars from Wells Fargo on the corner of Warm Springs and Mission, I was supposed to have 71 dollars left.

根据我的表格,在我从暖泉大道及传教大道路口的富国银行提取二十美金之后,我应该只剩下七十一美金。

I go to the ATM of Wells Fargo. I take out the 20 bucks, I get the receipt.

我到富国银行的自动提款机,我取出二十美金,拿了收据。

I look at the bottom, instead of 71 dollars, it was 00.03.

我看向收据最下方,不是七十一美金,是 00.03 美金。

I had 20 dollars, 00.03, I had to pay the bills, pay the lawyer, take care of my family.

我有二十美金,00.03,我得付帐单、付律师费,照顾我的家人。

And I swear to you, at that time ...

我发誓,那时……

I mean, honestly, I said: “I have done everything in my power.

老实说,我说:“我能做的都做了。

I am exhausted. What can I do with three cents?”

我筋疲力尽了。我能拿三分钱做什么?”

I didn't even get angry, I didn't get upset.

我甚至没有生气,没有沮丧。

I remember this vividly, it was a beautiful Bay Area day, anyone who lives there knows, 4pm, little bit of a windy breeze.

我记忆犹新,那天的湾区天气很好,那里的人都知道,下午四点,有点微风。

The sun was still there, it was just idyllic.

太阳还在,就像田园诗一样。

And I remember I started laughing, look at the receipt, and a couple of people behind me were trying to figure out what’s wrong with this guy.

我记得我看着收据,开始大笑,我后面的几个人都搞不懂这傢伙是有什么问题。

Because I didn’t know what to do, I just chuckled, I had three cents left. So this is what I did.

因为我不知道该怎么办,我就咯咯地笑了起来,我只剩下三分钱,所以我就这样做了。

I took the 20 dollars, went across the street and decided to splurge.

我拿着二十美金到对街,决定要挥霍一下。

I went to Subway and had a Subway supersized meal, foot-long tuna sandwich with all the workings and avocado.

我进了 Subway,吃了一顿 Subway 的超大特餐,一尺长的金枪鱼三明治,加了牛油果和所有能加的东西。

And then I decided to have two chocolate chip cookies.

接着,我决定要点两块巧克力饼干。

Then I went next door and had -- what is a Venti?

接着我到隔壁间买——特大杯吗?

What's the largest one at Starbucks?

星巴克最大杯的叫什么?

I think Venti, I don't drink coffee.

我想是特大杯,我不喝咖啡。

Venti caramel frappe with extra caramel drizzle, right?

特大杯焦糖星冰乐再额外淋上焦糖。

And I had now 20 dollars became 10 dollars.

我的二十美金变成十美金了。

I went home, and I told my grandmother, I said, "I've done everything I possibly could.

我回到家,我跟祖母说:“我已经尽力而为了。

There's nothing else I can do. We have 10 bucks left, I'm sorry."

没什么我能做的了。我们只剩下十块钱,很抱歉。”

I had some Dal Chawal that night watched a Netflix movie.

那晚我们吃了一些印度米,看了一部网飞的电影。

And I remember, I said this in the book, I let go.

我记得我在书中有说,我放手了。

There's nothing else I could do. I completely let go.

没什么我能做的了。我完全放手了。

I said, Allah, whatever happens, Inshallah, I leave it up to you.

我说,阿拉,不论发生什么事,若真主愿意,就都交给你了。

I've done everything within my powers, like, everything I could possibly think of, I've done.

我尽力而为了,我能想出来的我都做了。

This is it, like, you want to save me, save me, you don't want to save me, whatever, I enjoyed my Subway meal.

就这样,想救我就救我,不想就拉倒,我要享受我的潜艇堡。

And I remember, this is really interesting, I had the best night's sleep that night that I have ever had in my life.

我记得,很有趣,那晚是我这辈子睡得最好的一晚。

I remember that sleep to this day.

至今我都还记得那晚的睡眠。

I have prayed for that sleep.

我祈求能有那样的睡眠。

I felt like I was a baby in my mother's womb.

我觉得我像个小婴儿,睡在母亲的肚子里。

I tried to wonder why.

我很纳闷为什么。

It's because I knew that I did everything within my powers, I exhausted myself, and I let it go.

那是因为,我知道我已经尽力而为了,我已竭尽所能,我就放手了。

And then what happened, somehow, I got a loan and 2,500 bucks came.

接下来发生的是,我拿到了两千五百美金的贷款。

And the story continued.

故事继续延续下去了。

And so when you're saying about doing something tangible, it's not just me saying that like, you have to have some feeling of control and autonomy in what is a world where you feel adrift and the ground is shifting beneath your feet.

所以,说实际上要如何做,并不只是我说……你得感觉自己有控制权和自主权,即使在这个世界上,你觉得茫然无所依,当下的处境是如何地变动。

Those small chores that you take for granted, they'll give you order, some discipline.

那些被你视为理所当然的日常小事,能够给予你秩序,一些纪律。

I’m making that chai. I’m painting this. I’m feeding my children.

我做了那杯奶茶,我画了这个,我给孩子喂东西吃。

I took out the trash. I did some work today.

我要倒垃圾。我今天做了一些事。

I can control this. I did this with my hands.

我能控制这些,我用双手做的。

I'm still alive, right?

我还活着,对吧?

And then you plot and you do the best you can, and then you let go.

接着,策划并全力以赴,然后就放手吧。

And I think those daily chores, that daily routine, that you establish gives you a sense of rhythm, at the very least, says, "The world can take everything, but it won't take this.

我想,那些日常家务,你所建立的每日例行事项,能给你节奏感,最少最少,你能说:“世界可以夺走一切,但夺不走这个。

It won't take my delicious cup of chai that I made with my own hands.

它夺不走我亲手泡的这杯美味奶茶。

It won't take this little plant I plotted outside.

它夺不走我种在外面的这株小植物。

It won't take my love for my kids.

它夺不走我对我孩子的爱。

It won't take that from me.

它夺不走这些。

Not today, death, not today."

今天不行,死神,今天不行。”

So I hope for whoever asked that question, I hope that was hopeful.

不论是谁问的问题,我希望这些能帮助你保持希望。

分享到