(单词翻译:单击)
That is a healthy and grateful place from which to seek your own possibilities and help others seek theirs.
这是一个健康和充满感恩的地方,在这里你们可以寻找自身的可能性,并帮助他人寻找他们的可能性 。
As you think about your possibilities, think, too, about the road ahead for our country.
当你们考虑自身可能性时,也要考虑一下我们国家的前景 。
And how you, a citizen of a great democracy, will help America fulfill her promise.
还有,作为一名伟大的民主国家的公民,如何帮助美国实现她的承诺 。
How you will help to heal the divisions that plague us.
如何帮助弥合困扰我们的分歧 。
You don't need to have a grand plan.
无需宏大的规划 。
You can start by promising not to add to those divisions.
可以从承诺不再增加这类分歧开始 。
If you find yourself constantly retreating to the company of those who agree with you, who say "Amen" to everything you say, find other company.
如果发现自己不断地退缩到那些附和者的身边,那些对你说的每句话都要说“阿门”的人的身边,那就找其他的人吧 。
Most of all, in these troubled times, I implore you to have faith that the future will be better than where we are today.
最重要的是,在这个困难时期,我恳请大家要坚信未来会更好 。
This pandemic, the lives and livelihoods lost, could define your emergence into the real world.
这次疫情,损失的生命和生计,可能定义你在现实世界的角色 。
History will write of your generation as the one that came of age in the age of COVID-19.
历史将把你们这一代人描述为新冠肺炎时代的成熟一代 。
But this crisis, and the worst aspects of it do not have to define you.
但这场健康危机,以及它最糟糕的后果,不一定能定义你们 。
This crisis will subside.
这场危机终会平息 。
And when it does, I pray that we remember and carry on with the spirit of warmth, resolve and love for each other that the crisis has brought out in us.
当危机发生时,我祈祷我们铭记这场危机带来的温暖、坚韧和相互关爱的精神,并继续前进 。
That is the optimistic outcome that we must all pursue.
这是我们大家都必须追求的乐观结果 。
When I raised my right hand to become Secretary of State in 2005,
2005年,当我举起右手宣誓就任国务卿时,
my oath was administered by Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a Jewish female justice of the Supreme Court.
我的宣誓仪式是由最高法院的犹太裔女大法官露丝·巴德·金斯伯格(Ruth Bader Ginsburg)主持的 。
On the wall above us, hung a portrait of Benjamin Franklin.
我们上方的墙上挂着一幅本杰明·富兰克林的画像 。
I silently wondered, "What will ol' Ben think of this?"
我暗自纳闷:“富兰克林对此会怎么想?”
Two women, one black, one Jewish, at the highest levels of the United States government.
两名女性,一名黑人,一名犹太人,在美国政府的最高层任职 。
I know that Benjamin Franklin would never have considered that possibility.
我知道本杰明·富兰克林绝不会想过这种可能性 。