英语PK台(MP3+文本) 第1040期:冬天来了 暖气还没来?
日期:2019-10-31 09:15

(单词翻译:单击)

Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Good afternoon, Mark. Have you been keeping warm these days?
京晶:马克,下午好。这些天你有注意防寒保暖吗?
Mark: Mostly, this autumn has been chillier than the last few years.
马克:大体上看,今年秋天比前几年更冷。
Jingjing: You said that last year, didn't you?
京晶:你去年也是这么说的,不是吗?
Mark: I might have. Each year, the cold weather comes suddenly, this far north.
马克:可能吧。每年,来自遥远北部的冷空气都会突袭。
Jingjing: Right. You've managed to avoid getting sick so far, haven't you?
京晶:对啊。到目前为止,你已经想方设法避免生病了,对吧?
Mark: Nope. I was fighting off a cold for almost a week.
马克:没有。近一个礼拜我都在和感冒做斗争。
Jingjing: I didn't know! Sorry to hear that. I would have recommended some medicine.
京晶:呀,我不知道!很遗憾听说你病了,早知道我会给你推荐一些药的。
Mark: I know you're the one to ask about healthy living. But I don't usually do medicine unless I'm really sick.
马克:我知道你是个养生专家。不过,除非我病得很重,我通常不吃药。
Jingjing: Well, you know I was under the weather pretty bad a few weeks back, right?
京晶:那你知道几周前我身体很不舒服,对吧?
Mark: Yeah. That sounded like it was pretty severe. Again, we missed each other when one of us was sick. Did you take medicine?
马克:是的。好像有点严重。再说了,我们各自生命的时候,都没见到面啊,那你吃药了吗?
Jingjing: I had no choice. It was getting worse and worse. And I didn't want to be out of commission for too long. Anyway, I can recommend some of those if you get sick again this season.
京晶:我别无选择。情况越来越糟。而且我也不想停工太久。无论如何,如果你在这个季节又生病了我可以推荐一些药。
Mark: Touch wood. I hope I don't come down with anything else in 2019. Same for you.
马克:千万别病!我希望在2019年我不再病倒了。你也是。
Jingjing: Thanks. Anyway, the central heat will be on in another week or two. The official date for that is Novermber 15 every year.
京晶:谢谢。不管怎样,再过一两个星期就集中供暖了。国家规定的开始日期是每年的11月15日。
Mark: You don't have to tell me. I've been counting down the days.
马克:这个不用你告诉我了。我一直在倒计时。
Jingjing: Really? I thought autumn was your favorite season.
京晶:真的吗?我以为秋天是你的最爱。
Mark: It is. I don't like the part about being cold when I'm inside the house though.
马克:的确是。但我很不喜欢待在家里时觉得冷那种感觉。
Jingjing: Why don't you buy a portable heater?
京晶:为何不买一个轻便的取暖器呢?
Mark: I said I disliked being cold. I didn't say I disagreed with the idea of waiting until the middle of November for heat.
马克:我只是说我不喜欢冷。我并没有说我不同意等到11月中旬才来暖气。
Jingjing: Ha ha, OK. Enjoybeing chilly indoors for the next few days, then.
京晶:哈哈,好的。好好享受接下来的几天里,室内的寒冷吧.

New words : 习语短语
have/need/be (something) pretty bad 做/有一些非常不好的事
In this idiom, bad is used instead of badly, with intentional grammatical inaccuracy, to show that even in a very crude view someone's need or condition is very obvious and possibly also urgent.
out of commission 退出现役的;损坏的;退役的;不能使用的
not in good enough condition to work, be given leave (This is also used for military aircraft, police vehicles, etc: The B-17 has been out of commission for decades.)
Touch wood 触木避邪 但愿走好运
come down with

2


Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Mark, do you have any tips for keeping warm this time of year?
京晶:马克,每年这个时候你有什么保暖的小妙招吗?
Mark: What, you mean besides “wear more clothes”?
马克:什么?你是指除了“多穿衣服”以外的?
Jingjing: Yeah, I was hoping for something I hadn't considered yet.
京晶:是的,我仍在期待一些我还没想到的办法。
Mark: Well, you're looking at someone who has many years of experience keeping warm. I grew up in Vermont.
马克:哈,你面前的正是一个有多年御寒保暖经验的人。我是在佛蒙特州长大的。
Jingjing: OK. So, hit me with some of your best stuff.
京晶:好啊。那秀一秀你的好点子吧。
Mark: Sure. You should consider buying a pair of wool slippers with leather soles. Those breathe better than the synthetic ones and tend to be closer to your body temperature when you first put them on and when you've had them on for a while.
马克:当然可以。你应该考虑买一双皮底的羊毛拖鞋。它们比人造革更透气,不论你是第一次穿还是已经穿了一段时间,它们也更趋向于接近你的体温。
Jingjing: I'll keep my eyes open for a good pair of slippers then—natural materials, right?
京晶:那我会留意买双好拖鞋——天然材质,对吗?
Mark: Right. The same goes for the clothes you wear around the house. Almost everyone has a nice old sweater or a pair of comfortable pants that are now mostly suitable for lounging around the house.
马克:对。同理,你在家里穿的衣服也一样。几乎每个人都有一件主要适合宅在家穿的很温暖的旧毛衣或者一条舒适的长裤。
Jingjing: I'm not short on those kinds of clothes. Is that all?
京晶:那种衣服我不缺。还有其他的吗?
Mark: Keep a set of them on your night-stand. That way, when you get out of bed, you can slip them under the covers and change into them before throwing your quilt to the side.
马克:在你的床头柜上放一套吧。这样,当你起床的时候,掀开被窝前,你可以先把他们塞到被子里穿上。
Jingjing: Ha ha. I'll have to remember to do that. Got time for one more?
京晶:哈哈。我得记下来这么做。还有时间再来一条吗?
Mark: Yep, I've saved the best for last. You should reuse a few plastic water bottles, and fill them up with hot water at bedtime. That way, there's a little extra heat coming from all sides when you hit the sack.
马克:是的,最好的在最后。你可以重复利用一些塑料水瓶,并在睡前用热水灌满它们。这样当你睡觉时就能感受到一些额外的来自被窝四处的热量。
Jingjing: Mark, I knew that one already. I think everybody does.
京晶:马克,这条我早就知道了。我想每个人都知道。
Mark: Really? I mean, instead of just one hot water bottle, use 3, 4, or 5.
马克:真的?我的意思是,不是仅仅用一个热水瓶,而是用3、4或5个。
Jingjing: Yeah, everybody knows: the more the better, unless they leak.
京晶:是的,地球人都知道:只要不漏水,多多益善。
Mark: Well, OK then. I guess my best advice is: get used to it, it's getting cold out there.
马克:那好吧。我想我最好的建议是: 外面越来越冷了,还是慢慢习惯吧。
Jingjing: You're quite the guru, Mark.
京晶:马克,你可真是个专家啊。
Mark: Ha ha. I'm happy to help.
马克:哈。我很乐意帮忙。

New words : 习语短语
tend to be <adj> 往往是,通常是
is/are usually <adj.>
the same goes for (something) 同样适用于;同理
What I described before also applies to what I'm mentioning now.
lounging around the house 待在家里舒服宅
relaxing at home, not prepared to go out in public
short on (something) 缺乏, 缺少, 短缺
don't have enough of something
night-stand (床边带抽屉的)小桌 床头柜
a small table or cabinet on the right or left side of a bed, near the head
guru 古鲁(印度教或锡克教的宗教导师或领袖) 专家;权威;大师
a person who gives wise advice, typically a very old man (sarcastic usage here)


分享到
重点单词
  • plasticadj. 塑料的,可塑的,造型的,整形的,易受影响的 n
  • havenn. 港口,避难所,安息所 v. 安置 ... 于港中,
  • slipv. 滑倒,溜走,疏忽,滑脱 n. 滑倒,溜走,疏忽,失
  • syntheticadj. 综合的,合成的,人造的 n. 人工制品
  • recommendvt. 建议,推荐,劝告 vt. 使成为可取,使受欢迎
  • obviousadj. 明显的,显然的
  • quiltn. 被子,被状物 vt. 缝被,缝制,用垫料填塞 vi
  • grammaticaladj. 语法的,合乎文法的
  • suitableadj. 合适的,适宜的 adv. 合适地,恰当地
  • wooln. 羊毛,毛线,毛织品