千万别学英语 第6阶段 情景19:社会学课
日期:2013-12-31 08:30

(单词翻译:单击)

Situation19: Sociology Class
场景19:社会学课
(Mike arrives early and take a seat near the front.)
(麦克很早就到了找了一个前排的位置坐下。)
Hey, Mike, you're never early, what's up?
嘿,麦克,你从来没有这么早过,有什么新事吗?
I know, but I was having a terrible disscussion on politics with my roommate Charles
我知道,但我今天早上和我的室友查尔斯关于政治进行了一次很糟糕的讨论
and I just had to run away.
我不得不逃了。
I just can't disscuss politics in the morning.
我真的不能在早上谈论政治。
I know what you mean. I hate talking about politics.
我知道你的意思。我不喜欢谈论政治。
I can't believe Charles would do that.
我不相信查尔斯会那样做。
Yeah, it's really rude, isn't it?
是的,真的很不好,是吗?
Well, that's why I'm early.
那就是我起早的原因。
(The professor comes in and sits at a table at the front of the room.)
(教授进来了在教室前的一个桌子前坐下。)
Good afternoon. Last week we were discussing the theory of functionalism.
下午好。上个星期我们讨论了职能的原理。
This theory, in brief,
这个原理,简单的说,
states that all people are in a certain socio-economic position for a reason.
因为一个原因州的所有人都有一定的社会经济地位。
It further states that each of these positions serves a function
更进一步的说,州的每个职位尽职责
and so should naturally be preserved.
所以自然的被保留。
Although such a theory seems valid at first glance,
虽然初一看这个理论好象是正确的,
there are many problems with it.
那存在着很多问题。
Today, I would like to discuss some of the weak points of the theory of functionalism.
今天,我要讨论一些这个职能理论中差的观点。
One of these, for example,
第一个,例如,
is that it does not explain the great difference in opportunities given to the rich as opposed to the poor,
没有解释富裕与穷困的机会的巨大差异,
Rather, it assumes that the poor have no money because this is their natural condition.
甚至,假设穷人因为自然条件而没有钱。
Can anyone think of any more shortcoming of functionalism?
有没有人考虑更多的职能的缺点?
Well, it's not only money that they don't have.
他们没有的不止是钱。
If they don't have money, that also limits their chance for education,
如果他们没有钱,同样限制了他们教育的机会,
medical care, and other important services.
医疗保险,和其他的重要公共设施。
Excellent point. Would anyone like to add something?
好观点。有没有人要补充的?
I think it is all the fault of dishonest politicians.
我认为都是不清廉官员的过错。
(Looking confused)Interesting.
(看起来很糊涂)有意思。
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but, yes, many politicians are corrupt.
我不敢保证我能明白你的意思,但是,是,许多的官员都很腐败。
They sure are. Like my roommate's dad……
他们当然是了,就像我室友的父亲……

分享到
重点单词
  • certainadj. 确定的,必然的,特定的 pron. 某几个,某
  • confusedadj. 困惑的;混乱的;糊涂的 v. 困惑(confu
  • faultn. 缺点,过失,故障,毛病,过错,[地]断层 vt.
  • glancev. 一瞥,扫视,匆匆一看,反光,闪烁,掠过 n. 一瞥
  • opposedadj. 反对的,敌对的 v. 和 ... 起冲突,反抗
  • shortcomingn. 短处,缺点
  • rudeadj. 粗鲁的,无礼的 adj. 粗糙的,粗野的
  • understandvt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为
  • preservedadj. 保藏的;腌制的;[美俚]喝醉的
  • corruptadj. 腐败的,堕落的 vt. 使 ... 恶化,贿赂