(单词翻译:单击)
We began to glance over our shoulders rather cautiously.
我们谨慎地观察着周边情况 。
Only fifteen minutes more in which it would be possible to shoot, I thought, glancing at my wrist watch.
我看了一下表,再过15分钟就没法打猎了 。
It was just five forty-five. I was at the blind, peering through the peephole at Herbert's side,
现在是5点45分,我们在黑暗中,我通过哈波特边上的窥视镜向外看,
and Herbert was directly behind me, sitting down. There was a feeling in the air that the day was done.
哈波特就在我后面坐着,空气中弥漫着一种感觉,这一天过去了 。
And then, as I looked out, realizing that every moment was slipping
我向外看,发现每分每秒都在远离我们,
by bearing away forever the chances it might have held. I saw something.
机会正在远离我们,这时我看到了什么东西 。
Out of the wall of distant shadows came a gleam of gold and black,
在远处的黑影中,我看到金色和黑色在闪烁,
vivid as lightning against the green, and the tiger walked out of the jungle!
在绿色的映衬下十分耀眼,老虎从森林里走出!
Never in my life had I seen such a picture. Elephants by moonlight, lions at dawn, gorillas at blazing noon I had seen,
我这一生从未见过这样的画面,月光下的大象,黎明时分的狮子,耀眼午后的大猩猩,
but nothing was ever so beautiful and so glorious as that tiger walking out of his jungle.
但没有什么可以与老虎走出森林相媲美,这太壮观了 。
He was everything that was wild and savage, lordly and sinister.
它看起来非常凶猛,凶神恶煞 。
For a moment I could imagine I was dreaming.
那时我在想我是不是在做梦 。
He stood clearly outlined against the background of the forest, and he looked enormous.
它在森林的大背景下,四肢非常清晰,他看起来硕大无比 。
The great striped roundness of him was like a barrel.
圆形斑纹看起来像枪管 。
Then he moved, and seemed to flow along the ground, nearer and nearer.
之后他移动了,似乎像流水般移动,越来越近,越来越近 。
He stopped, and looked up at our bush. I could hardly breathe.
他停下了,抬头向我们这里看去,我无法呼吸 。
If he should take alarm! He stared with a threatening look;
他是不是警惕起来了,他突然出现了威胁的目光,
then, as if satisfied, he turned his head toward the dead buffalo and walked over toward it.
之后心满意足的,他朝着死水牛的方向走去 。
Then I dared let the leaf go back into place while I turned to Herbert behind me.
随后,我勇敢地将叶子放回原处,转过身冲着我身后的哈波特 。
My lips formed Tiger here and over Herbert's face came a look of deepest pity.
我的嘴唇出现了“老虎”一词的形状,而哈波特表现出了深深的同情 。
Poor girl he thought. She has dreamed tigers and she has looked for tigers and now she thinks she is seeing them!
他一定在想可怜的姑娘,她一直在想着老虎,一直在找寻老虎,而如今她以为她看到了 。
Then his face changed. He rose, and I moved to his side as he stepped forward to his place.
之后他的脸色变了,他站起来,回到他的位置,我也走到他身边 。
Noiselessly we lifted the leaves over our peepholes and raised our guns to fill the opening.
无声地,我们掀起了遮挡窥视镜的叶子,抬起枪对准那片空地 。