双语畅销书《我是马拉拉》第11章:聪明的班级(15)
日期:2016-12-22 10:53

(单词翻译:单击)

The destruction of schools continued.

对学校的破坏行动仍在继续。

On the night of 7 October 2008 we heard a series of faraway blasts.

2008年10月7日晚上,我们听见爆炸声陆续从远方传来。

The next morning we learned that masked militants had entered the Sangota Convent School for girls and the Excelsior College for boys and blown them up using improvised explosive devices (IEDs).

直到第二天早上,我们才知道蒙面的武装分子入侵了桑戈塔女子修道学院和伊克塞尔希尔学院,并利用土制炸弹炸毁了这两所学校。

The teachers had already been evacuated as they had received threats earlier.

老师们稍早即收到警告,因此事发当时已全部撤离。

These were famous schools, particularly Sangota, which dated from the time of the last wali and was well known for academic excellence.

这两所都是名校,尤其是桑戈塔,它的历史可追溯至末代瓦利当政时期,并以其学术上的卓越而著称。

They were also big – Excelsior had over 2,000 pupils and Sangota had 1,000.

它们的规模也很大——伊克塞尔希尔学院有两千名学生,桑戈塔则是一千名。

My father went there after the bombings and found the buildings completely razed to the ground.

爆炸案发生后,我父亲前往探访,发现两所学校的建筑物都被彻底夷为平地。

He gave interviews to TV reporters amid broken bricks and burned books and returned home horrified.

他在断瓦焦砾中接受电视记者的访问,回到家时恐惧万分。

‘It’s all just rubble,’ he said.

那里只剩下废墟。他说。

Yet my father remained hopeful and believed there would be a day when there was an end to the destruction.

不过,父亲仍满怀希望,并相信终有一天,这些破坏行动将会停止。

分享到