A gunman who claimed allegiance to the Islamic State killed 50 people and wounded 53 more when he opened fire in a crowded gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., early Sunday. It was the worst mass shooting in American history. Here is the latest:
Who Is the Suspect?
• The gunman was Omar Mateen, 29, an American citizen whose parents were from Afghanistan. He claimed allegiance to the Islamic State in a 911 call he made before the attack, law enforcement officials said. He lived in Fort Pierce, Fla.
• 凶手名为奥马尔·马廷(Omar Mateen)，是美国公民，现年29岁，父母来自阿富汗。执法官员称，在发起袭击不久之前，他拨打911电话，声称效忠伊斯兰国。马廷生前住在佛罗里达州皮尔斯堡。
• The Orlando Police Department said Mr. Mateen was born in New York. Court records indicate he was married and divorced.
• The F.B.I. investigated Mr. Mateen for possible terrorist ties in 2013 and 2014 but did not believe him to be a threat. The 2014 investigation centered on a possible link between Mr. Mateen and Moner Mohammad Abusalha, an American from Florida who became a suicide bomber for an extremist group in Syria.
• 联邦调查局(FBI)在2013年和2014年调查过马廷，怀疑他或许和恐怖分子有联系，但不认为他会造成威胁。2014年的调查集中在马廷和穆莱·默罕穆德·阿布萨哈(Moner Mohammad Abusalha)可能存在的关系上。阿布萨哈是佛罗里达的美国公民，他前往叙利亚，成为了一个极端组织的人体自杀炸弹。
• The global security company G4S, based in Britain, said Mr. Mateen had worked for it as a guard since 2007.
• The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said Mr. Mateen had legally bought both weapons used in the attack, a handgun and a long gun, in Florida within the last week.
• 美国烟酒枪支及爆炸物管理局(Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives)表示，马廷在上周合法购买了他在袭击中使用的一支长枪和一支手枪。
• Mr. Mateen opened fire inside the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, a popular gay club, at about 2 a.m. He was armed with an AR-15-style assault rifle and a handgun.
• Mr. Mateen shot about one-third of the people in the packed club. Hundreds of panicked clubgoers escaped and fled into the streets.
• Mr. Mateen holed up inside the club during the attack and effectively held dozens of people hostage. Some of them hid in a restroom and frantically texted friends and family for help.
• Mr. Mateen was killed by a police SWAT team when it raided the building at about 5 a.m. with an armored vehicle and stun grenades. One police officer was wounded, and at least 30 people were rescued.
Who Were the Victims?
• The City of Orlando set up a special web page where it said it would release the names of victims. It has released seven names so far: Stanley Almodovar III, Peter O. Gonzalez-Cruz, Juan Ramon Guerrero, Luis Omar Ocasio-Capo, Eric Ivan Ortiz-Rivera, Edward Sotomayor Jr. and Luis S. Vielma.
• 奥兰多市政府开设了专门的网页，发布遇难者的姓名。迄今公布了七个名字：斯坦利·阿莫多瓦三世(Stanley Almodovar III)、彼得·O·冈萨雷斯-克鲁兹(Peter O. Gonzalez-Cruz)、胡安·拉蒙·格雷罗(Juan Ramon Guerrero)、路易斯·奥马尔·奥卡西奥-卡波(Luis Omar Ocasio-Capo)、埃里克·伊万·奥尔蒂斯-里维拉(Eric Ivan Ortiz-Rivera)、小爱德华·索托马约尔(Edward Sotomayor Jr.)和路易斯·S·别尔马( Luis S. Vielma)。
How Does This Compare With Other Mass Shootings?
• More people were killed in Orlando than in any previous mass shooting in the United States. The 2007 shooting at Virginia Tech killed 32 people, while 26 people were killed in the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
• 奥兰多这次事件的遇难者超过了美国历次大规模枪击案。2007年弗吉尼亚理工大学枪击案致32人身亡，2012年康涅狄格州纽敦桑迪·胡克小学(Sandy Hook Elementary School)枪击案致26人死亡。
• This is the second mass shooting in the United States linked to sympathizers of the Islamic State since December, when a married couple killed 14 people in a rampage in San Bernardino, Calif. The Orlando shooting was the worst terrorist attack on American soil since Sept. 11, 2001.
• President Obama called the attack “an act of terror and an act of hate” and said the American flag would be flown at half-staff at the White House, embassies and military facilities. “In the face of hate and violence, we will love one another,” he said.
• The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the massacre in a statement released over an encrypted phone app. The group said the attack “was carried out by an Islamic State fighter,” according to a transcript provided by the SITE Intelligence Group, which tracks jihadist propaganda.
• 伊斯兰国在一个加密手机应用上发表声明，宣称对这次杀戮事件责任。追踪圣战组织宣传的赛德情报集团(SITE Intelligence Group)提供了一份文稿，其中显示，该组织称这次袭击“由伊斯兰国斗士发动”。
What We Don’t Know
• Law enforcement officials have not said whether Mr. Mateen had any direct link to the Islamic State, such as training or any sort of direct communication. The statement by the Islamic State did not provide details about its relationship with Mr. Mateen.
• It is possible he was “self-radicalized” — that is, claimed allegiance to the Islamic State but had no direct tie — like the husband and wife team behind the San Bernardino attack last year.
• The authorities have not released the names of most of the victims.
• The police in Santa Monica, Calif., arrested a heavily armed man who said he was in the area for the gay pride parade in West Hollywood, but they did not know of a connection between him and the Orlando attack.