(单词翻译:单击)
Recording Two
录音二
The thin,extremely sharp needles didn't hurt at all going in.
细细的尖针扎进去一点也不疼 。
Dr. Gong pierced them into my left arm, around the elbow that had been bothering me.
龚医生把针扎进了我一直就感觉很不舒服的左手肘 。
Other needles were slipped into my left wrist and, strangely,
随后把针扎入了左手腕,此后的动作就感觉到很奇怪了,
into my right arm, and then into both my closed eyelids.
因为龚大夫也在我的右手臂以及双眼睑扎入了针 。
There wasn't, any discomfort, just a mild warming sensation.
但我没有感到任何不适,只有轻微暖暖的感觉 。
However, I did begin to wonder what had driven me here,
然而,我开始怀疑是什么驱使我来到这里 。
to the office of Dr. James Gong in New York's Chinatown.
来到纽约唐人街詹姆斯·龚医生的办公室 。
Then I remembered—the torturing pain in that left elbow.
然后我想起——我的左肘感到难受,
Several trips to a hospital and two expensive, uncomfortable medical tests had failed to produce even a diagnosis.
但是去了好几次医院,做了几项又贵又难挨的医疗检查之后,医生都未能做出诊断,
"Maybe you lean on your left arm too much",the doctor concluded, suggesting I see a bone doctor.
“也许你的左臂用太多了”,医生说道,他推荐我去看骨科大夫,
During the hours spent waiting in vain to see a bone doctor, I decided to take another track and try acupuncture.
等待看骨科大夫的时候,他决定尝试一下中医的针刺疗法 。
A Chinese-American friend recommended Dr. Gong.
一位美籍华人朋友向我推荐了龚医生 。
I took the subway to Gong's second-floor office marked with a hand-painted sign.
我乘地铁来到二楼带着手绘标志的龚医生的办公室 。
Dr. Gong speaks English,but not often.
龚医生讲英语,但说的不多 。
Most of my questions to him were greeted with a friendly laugh,
我问他的大多数问题的回应都是友好的笑声,
but I managed to let him know where my arm hurt.
但我设法让他知道我的手臂哪里疼 。
He asked me to go into a room,had me lie down on a bed, and went to work.
他让我走进一个房间,躺在床上,然后给我针灸 。
In the next room, I learned a woman dancer was also getting a treatment.
我得知隔壁房间也有一位女舞者在接受治疗 。
As I lay there a while, I drifted into a dream-like state and fantasized about what she looked like.
当我躺在那里的时候,我进入了梦幻状态,幻想着她的样子 。
Acupuncturists today are as likely to be found on Park Avenue as on Mott Street.
如今,在公园大道和莫特街都能找到针灸师的身影 。
In all, there are an estimated 10,000 acupuncturists in the country.
据估计,中国总共有1万名针灸师 。
Nowadays, a lot of medical doctors have learned acupuncture techniques; so have a number of dentists.
如今,很多医生都学会了针灸疗法,所以有很多牙医 。
Reason? Patient demand. Few, though, can adequately explain how acupuncture works.
为什么针刺疗法在美国会越来越受欢迎?原因就在于患者的需求 。然而,很少有人能充分解释针灸的原理 。
Acupuncturists may say that the body has more than 800 acupuncture points: A life force called qi circulates through the body.
针灸师可能会说人体有800多个穴位:一种叫做气的力量在体内循环 。
Points on the skin are energetically connected to specific organs, body structures and systems.
身体上的穴位积极地与特定的器官、身体结构及系统相连,
Acupuncture points are stimulated to balance the circulation of qi.
通过刺激穴位从而平衡气的流通 。
"The truth is, though acupuncture is at least 2,200 years old, nobody really knows what's happening,"
“事实是,尽管针灸至少有2200年的历史,但没有人真正了解针灸 。”
says Paul Zmiewski, a Ph.D. in Chinese studies who practices acupuncture in Philadelphia.
中国针灸研究博士,现在在费城实践的保罗·兹米耶夫斯基说道 。
After five treatments, there has been dramatic improvement in my arm,and the pain is a fraction of what it was.
经过五次治疗后,我的手臂疼痛感有了明显的改善,疼痛范围变小了 。
The mainly silent Dr. Gong finally even offered a diagnosis for what troubled me. "Pinched nerve," he said.
沉默寡言的龚医生最终给出一个诊断,“神经紧张,”他说 。
Questions 19 to 21 are based on the recording you have just heard.
根据你刚才听到的录音回答19-21题
19.What does the speaker find especially strange?
问题19:说话者觉得什么特别奇怪?
20.Why did the speaker go see Dr. Gong?
问题20:为什么说话者去找龚博士?
21.What accounts for the growing popularity of acupuncture in the United States according to the speaker?
问题21:根据说话者描述,针灸在美国越来越受欢迎的原因是什么?