The Pacific island nation of Palau has become home to the sixth largest marine sanctuary in the world. The new marine reserve, now the largest in the Pacific, will __26__ no fishing or mining. Palau also established the world's first shark sanctuary in 2009.
The tiny island nation has set aside 500,000 square kilometres—80 percent—of its maritime __27__ , for full protection. That's the highest percentage of an __28__ economic zone devoted to marine conservation by any country in the world. The remaining 20 percent of the Palau seas will be reserved for local fishing by individuals and small-scale __29__ fishing businesses with limited exports.
"Island __30__ have been among the hardest hit by the threats facing the ocean," said President Tommy Remengesau Jr. in a statement. "Creating this sanctuary is a bold move that the people of Palau recognise as __31__ to our survival. We want to lead the way in restoring the health of the ocean for future generations."
Palau has only been an __32__ nation for twenty years and has a strong history of environmental protection. It is home to one of the world's finest marine ecosystems, with more than 1,300 species of fish and 700 species of coral.
Senator Hokkons Baules, lead __33__ of the Palau National Marine Sanctuary Act, said the sanctuary will "help build a __34__ future for the Palauan people by honoring the conservation traditions of our past". These include the centuries-old custom of "bul", where leaders would call a temporary stop to fishing for key species in order to give fish __35__ an opportunity to replenish (补充).