(单词翻译:单击)
Recording Three
录音三
We've had fifty years of progress since that landmark Surgeon General's report back in 1964.
自1964年,卫生局局长发表报告之后的50年,我们取得了很大进展 。
Over these years incredible things have taken place.
在过去的这些年,美国发生了巨大的变化 。
Our society has changed—changed in terms of tobacco use, in terms of its acceptance of smoking in public establishments, in restaurants, in bars.
我们的社会发生了改变——改变了对烟草的使用,也改变了在公共场所、饭店、酒吧吸烟的接受度 。
So things have really changed for the better.
所以吸烟的状况日渐好转 。
In addition, smoking rates have come down in the United States.
而且美国的吸烟比率已经降低了 。
We went from 43 percent of adult smokers in the United States to 18 percent currently.
美国之前成年吸烟者的比例是43%,现在降到了18% 。
So that's really made incredible headway, yet I have to emphasize the battle is not over, the war is not over.
我们取得了极大的进展,但是我必须强调:这场对抗烟草的战役还没有结束,斗争还在继续 。
Eighteen percent of American adults who are still smoking, basically 40 million people in our population.
18%的美国成年人还在吸烟,也就是说还有4千万美国人在吸烟 。
That being said we have to realize also that of that whole group, we're going to have roughly a half million people every year dying from smoking related diseases.
每年有将近50万人死于由吸烟引起的疾病,这也是我们必须要意识到的一点 。
So although we've made progress in a half century the reality is we still have a lot of work to do.
虽然这半个世纪以来,我们已经取得了进展,但现实情况是我们还有很多工作要做 。
So, you know, we increasingly see tough advertisements on the air against smoking.
你知道,广播中反对吸烟的广告越来越多 。
These ads are working.
这些广告起到了作用 。
In particular, the CDC the Center for Disease Control and Prevention came up with a series of advertisements from former smokers called TIPS.
尤其是,疾病防控中心从曾经的吸烟者身上想出了一系列被称作是“小贴士”的广告 。
And that really was quite effective in terms of reducing the number of smokers.
这些广告在减少吸烟者人数方面确实是非常有效的 。
In addition, there's various policies that need to be implemented and further implemented in order to make us a tobacco free society.
另外,为了造就一个无烟社会,我们需要实施一些政策并进一步落实 。
So we really have to work at the idea of using media, using those advertisements.
我们需要想法利用媒体来宣传禁烟广告 。
We have to look at really concentrating on the youth of America to make it more difficult to actually get cigarettes.
我们要集中精力让美国的青少年难以接触到香烟 。
And in addition we have to look at the idea of pricing cigarettes appropriately so that ultimately it becomes a hardship to use those products.
我们还要考虑给香烟适当定价,以使香烟成为难以享用的商品 。
So, let's talk a little bit about packaging those products.
那么,我们就来谈谈香烟的包装 。
Other countries have much more graphic detail of the potential dangers of smoking.
其他国家在包装上详细绘画了吸烟潜在的危险 。
We're currently working closely; the office of the Surgeon General is working closely with the Food and Drug Administration, specifically the Center for Tobacco Products
我们正在紧密合作,卫生局局长办公室和食品药物监督局,尤其是烟草制品中心正在密切合作 。
and are reanalyzing the whole row of the idea of the warning labels and the idea of how graphic they should be,
我们正在重新分析所有警示语的设定以及如何更加形象地绘制图像 。
and so there will probably be more information coming out on this in the near future.
不久之后,香烟的包装上会出现更多的信息 。
Questions 23 to 25 are based on the recording you have just heard.
问题23-25是基于刚刚你所听到的那段录音 。
Question 23 What is the number of smokers in America?
问题23:美国烟民的数量是多少?
Question 24 What measures can be taken to make it harder to get cigarettes?
问题24:我们应该采取什么样的措施来使人们难以得到香烟?
Question 25 What institution does the speaker most likely come from?
问题25:说话人很可能是来自哪个机构?
译文属可可原创,仅供学习和交流使用,未经允许不得转载