Part I Writing
Science creates the future
Part II Reading comprehension (Skimming and Scanning)
1. “violent fight” is different from domestic violence in that .
[B] the former is two-sided while the latter is one-sided
2. From what singer Kanye West said, we know that .
[D] he forgave Chris Brown’s deed
3. The author suggests that in most domestic-abuse cases, women return home after the abuse because .
[B] they are too scared of men’s power to leave
4. What can be described as an accident or a mistake according to the author?
[B] Taking the gas for the brake killing a cat.
5. What do we know for sure about Chris Brown and Rihanna according to the first paragraph?
[C] Rihanna has accused Chris Brown of abusing her.
6. What does the author suggest we do when teaching children about domestic violence?
[A] Spend some time to expose some myths.
7. According to the passage, when discussing about domestic violence, we should .
[D] avoid referring to it as being provoked
8. What makes those abused stay with their abusive partners is the horrible cycle of emotional dependence, shame and fear .
9. Women would criticize their own behavior when explaining why they are abused by their lovers.
10. According to experts, in domestic violence, abusers’attacks tend to be intensifying .
Part III Listening Comprehension
11. [C] She would like to know about that problem.
12. [B] It is very interesting.
13. [A] Taking a train.
14. [C] The man should practice using the vocabulary.
15. [A] Choose other time.
16. [D] It will probably be cold.
17. [A] The woman bought too many skirts.
18. [B] In a hotel.
19. [C] It’s the easiest way to communicate with other users.
20. [A] It may not be of a high level of security.
21. [B] IE and Windows.
22. [D] Try to get a free E-mail account.
23. [D] Refrigerator and kitchen stuff.
24. [B] Advertise them on the university notice boards.
25. [A] It may not pay well.
26. [C] Delighted.
27. [B] Tell him the truth.
28. [C] Remember a couple of names first.
29. [A] Cycling around a lake.
30. [D] It needs water and electricity to keep its courses green.
31. [C] It uses fewer resources.
32. [B] To encourage people to go in for green sports.
33. [B] 3
34. [D] To get to know how to ask for financial aid.
35. [B] To make JohnsonReview popular.
44. rapid economic growth has fuelled an explosive expansion in car ownership
45. one of his aims was to promote cycling as safe, sustainable and environmentally friendly means of getting about
46. with some estimates saying the number of people cycling to work has almost doubled in the last five years
Part IV Reading Comprehension (Reading in Depth)
47. What’s the main idea of the passage?
[D] People in different cultures have different concepts of space.
48. The Arabs and the Japanese differ in that .
[A] the Japanese keep their closeness within limits while the Arabs don’t
49. According to Dr. Edward Hall, .
[B] space doesn’t mean emptiness in the eyes of the Japanese
50. When an Arab wants to be alone, he .
[B] may still stay with his companion
51. It can be inferred from the passage that .
[C] even impolite bodily contact is acceptable by the Arabs
52. What do we learn about African elephants from the passage?
[A] It is difficult for people to tame them.
53. Thailand was once called “Land of the White Elephant” because .
[D] white elephant was a national symbol until the 1920s
54. According to the passage, why is the Thai elephant “out of work”?
[C] The elephants are no longer useful to their owners.
55. What is said about Thailand’s elephant population at various times?
[B] Today the elephant population is estimated at 5,150.
56. The passage is most probably from .
[C] a research report
57. Picasso quoted the example of the English language to maintain that .
[D] the intricacy of the surrealist art should not be blamed on the artists
58. Which of the following artists pioneered Cubist art?
59. The author most probably thinks that Picasso’s art is .
60. What do people tend to think of Picasso’s paintings?
[B] They are enjoyable amusements.
61. Which of the following is the true description of the surrealist world?
[C] It had never been explored by anyone before Picasso.
Part V Cloze
Part VI Translation
83. Life is a journey, one that is much better traveled with a companion by our side (我们最好结伴同行).
84. While crossing the mountain area, all the men carried guns lest they be attacked by wild animals (被野生动物袭击).
85. He was proud of being chosen to participate in the game (为被选定参加比赛而自豪) and he assured us that he would try as hard as possible.
86. My father seems to be in no mood (似乎没心情) to look at my school report.