Hours after hurricane Laura ripped through Lake Charles, daybreak brought another ominous sight. I-10, don't even come across it. A nearby chemical plant engulfed in a raging fire visible for miles, creating a balloon of black smoke that until roads were closed. Passing drivers had to navigate through and a health hazard for the thousands who live in the area. All under order to shelter in place. They need to be on the inside of their home with their doors and windows closed. And the air conditioning off if they're lucky enough to have electricity. Hazmat emergency crews responded to the inferno at bio lab in Lake Charles, which manufactures pool supplies.
A statement from the company that owns the facility says the fire was caused by a chlorine gas leak as the hurricane tore through in overnight hours. As this type of chlorine begins to decompose it generates heat and it began to burn releasing chlorine gas into the atmosphere. No one was working in the plant due to a pre-hurricane shutdown. The CDC warns high exposure to chlorine can be dangerous and lead to serious respiratory illness. Now is not the time to go sightseeing. I'm appealing to everybody in Louisiana don't get out on the road. Lester, we know up to 20 thousand residents live in the area impacted by today's fire and fumes. It's tough to know the exact number still here because many evacuated ahead of the storm.
Even very young premature babies respond to their mother's presence.
Abruptly the group ahead of us came to a standstill.