North Korea Cancels Anti-US Demonstration
North Korea has cancelled its yearly anti-United States demonstration.
The Associated Press reports that the event in which people living in the capital, Pyongyang, wave flags and shout anti-U.S. messages will not be held.
Last year's event reportedly involved 100,000 demonstrators.
Officials did not release an official statement about the decision, but AP reporters confirmed Monday that it would not be held.
North Korea has reduced anti-U.S. messages over the past several months. North Korean media usually are strongly critical of the U.S. especially around the anniversary date of the beginning of the Korean War.
June 25 marks the 68th year since the beginning of the Korean War. Many observances took place in South Korea involving officials including South Korean President Moon Jae-in.
Easing of anti-U.S. messages since leaders' meeting
North Korean state media have shown many reports, photographs and videos of the recent meeting between the country's leader and the U.S. president.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un met with U.S. President Donald Trump in Singapore on June 12.
The two signed a document calling for, among other things, efforts to remove nuclear weapons from the Korean Peninsula.
Also, North and South Korean officials met last week over the issue of families separated by the Korean War.
Officials agreed to permit a reunion of 100 separated family members to meet on August 20 to 26 at the Mount Kumgang area in North Korea.
However, South Korean media criticized the small number of Koreans included. The Korea Times called on North Korea "to pay more attention to humanitarian issues. The Korean Herald said the North should "show a more active and forward looking attitude."
Millions of Korean families were forced apart by the division of the country at the end of World War II and the Korean War. The Ministry of Unification says there are now about 56,000 registered separated family members in South Korea. But almost all are over 70 years old and each year there are fewer survivors.
The last inter-Korean family reunion took place in 2015. It involved 200 families from each side.
And on Sunday, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said he is hopeful North Korea would soon return the remains of U.S. service members killed during the Korean War. North Korea has already returned the remains of over 200 U.S. soldiers.
Mattis is on a trip to Asia in which he will visit Japan, South Korea and China.
I'm Mario Ritter.
1.official statement 官方声明
We understand it takes time to announce an official statement.
2.at the end of ...结束
There is a shop at the end of this lane.
3.calling for 呼吁；要求
The Prime Minister is calling for new restraints on trade unions.
4.nuclear weapons 核武器
He claims that several countries have developed nuclear weapons secretly.
5.The Korea Times called on North Korea "to pay more attention to humanitarian issues.
pay attention to 关注
People in the United States want the president to pay attention to Middle America.
Don't just keep slogging away. Pay attention to method.
6.The last inter-Korean family reunion took place in 2015.
took place 发生；举行
Another dust-up took place in the teahouse.
We have incontrovertible evidence of what took place.
然而，韩国媒体批评了离散家属团聚的人数太少。《韩国时报》呼吁朝鲜要更加“重视人道主义问题” 。《韩国先驱报》表示，朝鲜应该表现出更加积极和前瞻性的态度 。
第二次世界大战和朝鲜战争结束后，数百万家庭因朝鲜半岛分裂而被迫分离。韩国统一部表示，目前韩国登记在册的离散家属大约有5.6万名 。但是几乎所有人都已经年过70，而且这些人数每年都在减少 。