Plane Evacuated Because of Smoking Samsung Phone
A plane was evacuated Wednesday in Louisville, Kentucky, after a passenger reported smoke coming from a Samsung smartphone.
All passengers were safe after getting off the Southwest Airlines plane. The plane was to travel to Baltimore, Maryland.
The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration confirmed in a statement that a Samsung phone had caused the smoke. The agency did not say which Samsung model was involved and said it is continuing to investigate the incident.
Samsung also did not say which smartphone model caused the emergency. The company said in a statement that it would examine the device.
Samsung issued a recall of its new Galaxy Note 7 device last month after receiving several reports of overheating problems. The company said the overheating was linked to problems with batteries that caused some phones to catch fire. The recall reportedly covered at least 2.5 million phones worldwide.
Sarah Green is the wife of the airplane passenger whose phone overheated. Green told the media that the phone was a new Samsung Galaxy Note 7. She said her husband, Brian, recently got the phone as a replacement following the Samsung recall.
Green told Louisville's Courier-Journal newspaper that her husband called from someone else's phone to explain what happened.
He told her the phone began making popping noises and started giving off smoke after he turned it off. "He took it out of his pocket and threw it on the ground," she told the newspaper. The plane had not yet taken off.
An official with Louisville's Metro Fire Department confirmed the passenger threw the phone on the ground after it started smoking. The official said the phone caused minor damage to the floor where the device landed.
The Federal Aviation Administration issued a warning to airplane passengers last month about the Samsung phones. It urged passengers not to use Galaxy Note 7 devices during flights. It also urged passengers not to put them in checked baggage.
Flight attendants on many airlines have also added a warning about the Samsung devices during pre-flight safety demonstrations.
I'm Bryan Lynn.
1.travel to 去往
Spaceships make it possible to travel to the moon.
The danger of accidentally overheating the infant thus is present.
3.turned off 关闭
He turned off the light to save electricity.
4.give off 散发；发出
They give off discrete amounts of radiant energy.
1.All passengers were safe after getting off the Southwest Airlines plane.
get off 动身；下车；摆脱
Don't get off a moving bus.
She tried to get off doing this kind of work.
2.The company said the overheating was linked to problems with batteries that caused some phones to catch fire.
catch fire 着火；沸腾
The dry grass catch fire, but we beat it out.
For the first time the campaign began to catch fire.
所幸该架西南航空公司飞机上的乘客及时撤离，未造成人员伤亡 。这架飞机原定飞往马里兰州巴尔的摩市 。
美国联邦航空管理局发声证实该起事故因三星手机所致 。但并未透露涉事的三星手机机型，该机构表示将继续调查该起事故 。
三星方面也未透露冒烟起火的手机型号 。三星公司发声明表示将对涉事手机进行调查 。
上月，因收到多份手机存在过热问题的报告，三星公司宣布召回新款的Galaxy Note 7 手机 。三星表示，手机电池过热是导致部分手机起火的主要原因 。据悉，此次召回涉及到全球至少250万部Galaxy Note 7问题机型 。
莎拉·格林（Sarah Green）是手机过热乘客的妻子 。格林告知媒体，这部手机是换新版的三星Galaxy Note 7 。她说，丈夫布莱恩最近刚将三星召回后的问题手机换新 。
丈夫说，他关机后手机开始发出爆裂的声响，随后就开始冒烟 。她还告诉该报社，“他立即从兜里掏出手机扔到地板上 。”当时飞机还没有起飞 。
一位路易斯维尔市消防部门的工作人员证实，手机开始冒烟后，该名乘客立即将手机扔到地板上 。他还表示，这部手机落地后导致地板轻微受损 。
上月，美国联邦航空管理局曾就三星手机向所有乘客作出警告 。该机构强烈建议乘客在飞行期间不要使用Galaxy Note 7手机，同时警告乘客勿将该款手机放置在托运行李中 。