BEC初级真题第5辑精听:Test1-Part Four(1)
日期:2015-11-30 17:36

(单词翻译:单击)

Woman:The motor industry may be having a hard time in some areas.

某些地区的汽车行业可能会遇到困难。
But at ALC, a small vehicle plant in the UK, business has never been better.
但英国的一家小汽车厂ALC的生意从来没有这么好过。
I have with me today ALC's managing director, Michael Wright.
今天和我在一起的是ALC的总经理,迈克尔·莱特。
Michael, your company has a long history, doesn't it?
迈克尔,你们公司有着悠久的历史,是吗?
Man:Yes, ALC began life as a small workshop that specialised in fixing lorries that had broken down, before moving into making lorry components for garages doing repairs.
是的,ALC最初是一个小车间,专门修理坏的卡车,之后才转为修理厂制造卡车零件。
Then later on the company went on to design and build special vehicles according to customers' requirements.
后来公司又根据客户需求设计制造了专用车辆。
Woman:And when did you join the company?
你什么时候加入公司的?
Man:In the nineteen eighties after a career in engineering.
20世纪80年代,我在工程行业工作过一段时间。
I wanted something different and I'd always been interested in production, so I came in to manage that side of the business.
我想要经历与众不同的东西,而且我一直对生产很感兴趣,所以我开始从事这方面的生意。
Sometime later a couple of colleagues invited me to become a director.
后来有几个同事邀请我当主管。
Woman:What was the company like when you joined the board?
你刚加入董事会时,公司是什么样子的?
Man:Well, we'd begun lorry production, but business was slow.
嗯,那时候我们已经开始生产卡车了,但业务发展缓慢。
Then one of our existing customers was considering offering us a much larger contract.
然后我们的一个老客户想要和我们签一份更大的合同。
Talks were just beginning with them when I began as a director.
我任职主管的时候,双方才开始在业务上联系。
It suited us perfectly because if they guaranteed us a lot of work, we could invest in new equipment.
这个特别适合我们公司的发展,因为如果他们能确保和我们合作,我们就可以投资引进新设备。
Woman:So what was your plan?
那你的计划是什么?
Man:Well, I proposed working with our main competitor, so that instead of producing the whole vehicle ourselves,
我建议和我们的主要竞争对手合作,这样我们就不用自己生产整个汽车了,
we could get some of the lorry parts from them and add our own special components here, to build lorries to suit this customer's requirements.
我们可以从他们那里得到一些卡车零件,加上我们自己的专用部件,就可以生产出符合客户要求的卡车。
But I never thought it would be so successful we can now produce one vehicle every fifty-three minutes!
但我从没想过它会如此成功,我们现在每53分钟就可以生产一辆车!

分享到
重点单词
  • directorn. 董事,经理,主管,指导者,导演
  • contractn. 合同,契约,婚约,合约 v. 订合同,缩短,缩小,
  • vehiclen. 车辆,交通工具,手段,工具,传播媒介
  • minutesn. 会议记录,(复数)分钟
  • producen. 产品,农作物 vt. 生产,提出,引起,分娩,制片