探索深海的神秘“怪兽”(3)
日期:2023-04-12 12:25

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

The bottom of the trenches, the reason why the trenches are so deep, the reason why they're 11 kilometers in some places is because two tectonic plates hit each other.

海沟的底部。海沟之所以这么深,之所以有些地方的位置深达11公里,是因为两个地质板块相互碰撞。

Sometimes they get pulled apart, sometimes they slide side by side.

它们有时分离,有时相互滑动。

But the trenches are formed when one tectonic plate hits another one and drives it down into the Earth's mantle.

如果一个地质板块撞击另一个地质板块并将其弯进地幔,海沟就形成了。

Hence you end up with something like Mariana Trench.

因此,最终结果是马里亚纳海沟这样的东西。

Now all that carbon trapped in the sediment is now being pushed back into the Earth's mantle.

现在,所有滞留在沉积物中的碳都被推入地幔。

The deepest points on the planet are one of the few places where we're actually disposing of carbon.

地球最深处是少数几个能彻底处理掉碳的地方之一。

So they're again, performing a service to the planet.

因此,他们又一次为地球提供了服务。

So when looking out the window, what's it look like?

那么,当你看向窗外,是什么样的景象?

If you switch your lights on, right, it looks like mud.

如果你打开灯,对吧,看起来是泥沙。

You have a lot of places that are very flat.

有很多地方是非常平坦的。

Lovely, luscious, golden-brown.

美妙的,喜人的,金棕色的。

That's a good, healthy sea floor, OK.

这是一片很好的,健康的海底。

Sometimes you see some rocks and some rocky outcrops.

有时你会看到一些石头和露岩。

You see cobbles and rocks and boulders.

还有鹅卵石、石块和巨石。

Sometimes it's a bit crazy.

有时候会有极端情况。

But none of these images look that weird.

但这些照片看起来都没有那么奇怪。

They look like something you would expect to see if you were scuba diving at night.

它们看起来像是你在晚上水肺潜水时会看到的东西。

So the actual visual landscape of the deepest places isn't that strange either, it's certainly not something you should fear.

因此,最深处的景观也并不奇怪,肯定不会让你害怕。

So let's get back to the monsters of the deep.

让我们说回到深海的怪兽。

What do you reckon the deepest tentacled animal is in the world?

你认为世界最深处的触须动物是什么?

Bear in mind, it's the tentacles that have been putting the fear of God into sailors since I don't know when.

要知道,是这些触手在很久以前让水手们畏惧上帝的法力。

Imagine "The Thing" coming up from the deep sea.

想象一下“那东西”从深海浮上来。

So you're probably thinking something a little bit like that.

所以你可能在想这些。

That's also a picture I took on my phone recently.

这也是我最近用手机拍的一张照片。

It's been a funny old week.

真是有趣的一周。

That's...

那是……

That's the kind of image your imagination puts into your head when you think deep sea, tentacles and the rest of it.

这就是当你想到深海、触手和其他东西时,你的脑海里会出现的东西。

The reality of the matter is - and I can proudly say that I discovered the deepest octopus in the world -

事实是——我可以自豪地说,我发现世界上最深处的章鱼——

It's the size of a puppy, too.

只有小狗那么大。

It gets better.

好的还在后面。

Its real name is Grimpoteuthis, which is a bit "rurr."

它的学名是烟灰蛸,有点拗口。

But its common name is Dumbo Octopus because it has big Dumbo-like ears.

但它俗称小飞象章鱼,因为它长着像小飞象一样的大耳朵。

And this lives at close to 7,000 metres in the Indian Ocean.

它生活在印度洋近7000米的地方。

That is your big, scary octopus that's coming to get you.

这就是那只要来索你性命的可怕巨型章鱼。

So then we think about what's the deepest fish look like.

然后我们想一想海里最深处的鱼是什么样子的。

Because they've got big, horrible fangs, right?

因为他们长着又大又可怕的毒牙,对吧?

And they're lurking in the darkness, coming to get you.

他们潜伏在黑暗中,要来消灭你。

Deepest fish in the world is actually what we call a snailfish.

世界上最深处的鱼实际上是我们所说的狮子鱼。

If anything, it's a bit goofy-looking.

它看起来有点滑稽。

It's not really that threatening.

并没有什么威胁性。

It's not something you should fear.

没必要害怕它。

They're snuffling around, they're looking for stuff and they've got little eyes, they're actually gelatinous, that's its liver you can see on the side of its body.

它们嗅来嗅去,寻找东西,它们有一双小眼睛,身体实际上是胶质的,你可以在它的身体一侧看到肝脏。

They're very soft-bodied.

它们的身体非常柔软。

And what I really love about the deepest fish in the world is they're not really deep-sea fish.

而我喜欢这个世界最深处的鱼其实是因为,它们并不属于深海鱼。

They're actually a shallow water family that has just radiated.

它们其实是源于浅水鱼的一科。

Most snailfish are actually really shallow, you even get some in estuaries.

大多数狮子鱼都在浅水区,甚至有些存在于河湾内。

It's just a fish that doesn't care, you can't pigeonhole the snailfish.

这只是一条不在乎呆在哪里的鱼,你不能把狮子鱼归为一类。

分享到