(单词翻译:单击)
Congratulations to the Class of 2020.
祝贺你们成为2020届毕业生 。
Some of you have graduated already.
你们有些人已经毕业了 。
Some of you still have finals.
你们中有些人还有期末考试 。
All of you should be very proud.
你们都应该感到骄傲 。
Graduation is a big achievement under any circumstances.
无论在什么情况下,毕业都是一项巨大的成就 。
Yours comes as the world is turned upside down.
你们的毕业季恰逢世界发生巨变 。
By a pandemic, and by a country that's been swept up by protest.
你们赶上了疫情,还生活在被抗议席卷的国家之中 。
I can barely imagine how head-spinning these last few months have been for you.
我几乎无法想象这几个月来你们经历了何种混乱 。
Just as winter was thawing and you were thinking about spring break,
冰雪正在消融,你们还在想着春假该怎样度过,
those of you who are away at college were either whisked home or stayed behind on a shuttered campus.
你们这些在外读大学的人要么被赶回家,要么滞留在一个封闭的校园里 。
Most of you had to finish semesters online which had its ups and downs.
你们中的大多数人都要在网上完成本学期的课程,这其中有利有弊 。
You didn't have to worry about what you wore to class, but watching your teachers and professors try to work Zoom wasn't always pretty either.
你们不必担心上课该穿什么衣服,但是看着老师和教授们努力学习Zoom软件也不总是那么美好 。
Either way, none of this is how any of you imagined finishing your final spring at school.
不管怎样,这些都不是你们想象中在学校里度过最后一个春天的方式 。
Even if we can't all gather in person, I want you to remember that a graduation ceremony doesn't celebrate just a moment in time.
即使我们不能在线下相聚,但我希望你们记住,毕业典礼并不是仅仅庆祝那一刻 。
It's the culmination of all your years of learning about the world and about yourself.
在这一刻,你们多年来对世界和自己的认知达到了高潮 。
The friends and family who supported you every step of the way, they aren't celebrating a piece of paper, they're celebrating you.
支持你每一个选择的朋友和家人,他们不是在庆祝你拿到了那一纸文凭,而是在为你欢呼 。
How you've grown, the challenges you've overcome and the experiences you've shared.
你是如何成长的,你克服的挑战和你分享的经验 。
You can see that love in all the amazing ways that families have come up with their own at-home graduations.
你们在家庭毕业典礼的方方面面都可以感受到这种温暖的爱 。
From drive-by parades to hand-made yard signs.
从驾车游行到手工制作的庭院标志 。
The point is, don't let the lack of a big crowded ceremony take anything away from what your graduation signifies.
关键在于,不要因为没有一个拥挤的典礼而影响你们的毕业典礼 。
Go ahead and bask in the glory of your achievement.
去享受你们的成就吧 。
And wherever you are, take lots of photos.
无论你在哪里,都要拍很多照片 。
Although, when I look at my graduation pictures, the main thing I realize is that I should have gotten a haircut more often.
不过,当我看到自己的毕业照时,我感触最深的一点是自己应该经常理发 。
Now, as was true for generations before you, graduation marks your final passage into adulthood.
现在,正如你之前的几代人一样,毕业标志着你进入成年的最后一步 。
The time when you're expected to fully take charge of your life's direction.
此时,大家期待你能够完全掌控自己的人生方向 。
It's when you get to decide what's important to you.
你该决定出什么对你来说是重要的 。
The career you want to pursue, the values you want to live by, who you want to build a family with.
你想要追求的职业、你选择的价值观、你想和谁建立一个家庭 。
That can be intimidating even under normal circumstances.
即使在正常情况下,这也会让人感到不安 。
And given the current state of things, let's face it, it can be downright scary.
考虑到目前的情况,让我们面对现实吧,这可能是非常可怕的 。
It's fair to say that your generation is graduating into a world that faces more profound challenges than any generation in decades.
公平地说,你们这一代人正逐渐进入一个比几十年来任何一代人都要面临更深刻挑战的世界 。
It can feel like everything's up for grabs right now.
感觉现在什么都可以做 。
A lot of this uncertainty is the direct result of COVID-19.
很多这种不确定性是新冠疫情的直接结果 。
The 100,000 lives it's taken from us.
它夺走了10万条生命 。
The economic disruption it's caused.
它造成了经济混乱 。
No one can say for sure how much longer the crisis will last.
没有人能确切地说这场危机还会持续多久 。
A lot of that will depend on the choices we make as a country.
这在很大程度上取决于我们作为一个国家所做的选择 。
But, you know, it will eventually end.
但你们知道的,它终将结束 。
Vaccines and treatments will emerge, the economy will begin to heal, and life will start returning to normal,
疫苗和疗法将会出现,经济将开始复苏,生活将开始恢复正常,
and you'll still have your whole life ahead of you.
你前面还有很长的人生路要走 。
The thing is, Class of 2020, what these past few weeks have also shown us is that,
问题在于,2020届毕业生,过去几周也向我们展示了,
the challenges we face go well beyond a virus, and that the old normal wasn't good enough.
我们所面临的挑战远远超出了病毒的范畴,而过去的正常状态其实还不够好 。
It wasn't working that well.
效果真的不太好 。
In a lot of ways, the pandemic just brought into focus problems that have been growing for a very long time,
从很多方面来说,新冠疫情只是让一些长期以来一直在增长的问题成为焦点,
whether it's widening economic inequality, the lack of basic healthcare for millions of people, the continuing scourge of bigotry and sexism.
无论是日益扩大的经济不平等、数百万人缺乏基本医疗保健、偏见和性别歧视带来的持续祸害 。
Or the divisions and dysfunction that plague our political system.
或者是困扰我们政治体系的分裂和失调 。